Carvin DCM series vs Carvin TS100 for axe fx 2

jsessions92

Inspired
First of all, let me apologize because I know there are a million old threads on both of these power amps, but I am having a hard time finding the specific answers I am looking for.

Anyway I am trying to figure out witch one of these to run my axe fx 2 through. I should probably also note that I am using a 4x12 cabinet with v30 speakers. I have heard negative and positive things about both of these power amps but I am still really up in the air about which one to get. I'd love to have the freedom of being tubeless but I also don't want to sacrifice tone. I also want to make sure I have plenty of headroom. If anyone on here could give me some advise in deciding on which to go with it would would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D

If you can't make up you mind after that vid then all is lost.

Haha well it definitely helped! Thanks for the link, I'm surprised I didn't find that video with all the searching I have done. My issue is that I will never be satisfied until I can actually hear it in person I suppose... it is really hard to tell from a youtube video and laptop speakers. I guess I was just trying to see if anyone on here had any first hand experience with the amps and a 412.

Haha well it definitely helped! Thanks for the link, I'm surprised I didn't find that video with all the searching I have done. My issue is that I will never be satisfied until I can actually hear it in person I suppose... it is really hard to tell from a youtube video and laptop speakers. I guess I was just trying to see if anyone on here had any first hand experience with the amps and a 412.
yea, send racetra a PM on here. He's the one that made that video. he's a pretty cool dude too and was pretty helpful to me when i first came here.

Im wondering if any one has a direct comparision of this hd 1500 amp with the matrix everyone has fallen in love with lately.

Im wondering if any one has a direct comparision of this hd 1500 amp with the matrix everyone has fallen in love with lately.
Yea i was wondering that myself. I know the matrix is recieving all kinds of praise but i bet that carvin is pretty damn close:)

Yea i was wondering that myself. I know the matrix is recieving all kinds of praise but i bet that carvin is pretty damn close:)

I am curious about that also. I have a hard time believing that they really sound that different from each other.

Quoting myself from another thread I was asked about my Carvin DCM200L

Like it allot but this one you see is a little under powered but is fine for home and playing in a basement or garage. Also have an Art SLA-2, more power still single space, dull sounding don’t care for it at all. Have an Atomic mono black, was using this with a real cabinet, as opposed to the FRFR cabs I’m using now, like it allot. Funny thing, when I first got the FRFR cabs ran the Carvin on one side and the Atomic on the other, there was barely a difference. Been also looking at the Matrix amps, the new Atomic (2 channels rack mount) nice looking unit also. However! Now I own an AF II, at this point and time I’m convinced SS is the way to go and let the AF II power amp sim’s do all the work. So I’m leaning towards the Matrix or something I’m already familiar with, a Carvin 1540L, one of the big brothers to my DCM200L.

photo.jpg

Last edited:

Youtube is definitely not the place to demo an amp but you do get an idea of what it might sound like. The difference between the two was obvious when he used the preset that was built for the TS on the HD, The cool thing is with the EQ power the Axe provides you can make it work which should be very compelling to those that are pro tube power. So even a descent amp will work with a little EQ'ing. Money and weight wise the HD is the better way to go. If space is an issue then you need to rethink your options and maybe cough up another $400 and you can have what everyone is happy about at this particular point in time.

Back
Top Bottom