Carrying FM3 on a plane

rhodie

I've never had the need to travel with guitar/gear before. So, what's the best way to carry the FM3 on a flight?
It's an international flight - if that makes a difference.

Can I just check it in, inside of a regular suitcase? Can I bring it is as carry-on possibly?

I'd prefer not checking it in as it's own separate luggage piece since I am already carrying a lot of extra baggage already. But, if that's the way to go I can consider buying a separate hard-case for it and checking it in separately.

Any insight from people who've had more experience with traveling with gear on flights will be appreciated. Thanks!

It’s not made out of sugar glass. You can stuff it in your backpack or in your carry-on and it’ll be fine. Just wrap it up in a hoodie and a few shirts. Even if you put it in a checked suitcase simply wrapping it up in your clothes in such a way that it doesn’t shift around will be fine. That is by definition, the separate hard case.

Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

It's good to know that it should be fine to carry it on/check it in with regular bags, as long as it is sufficiently cushioned.

Thank you!

I’ve packed Fractal gear both ways, separate Pelican case and also in my suitcase with my clothes. Both worked fine. It really depends on how many bags you want to check. If you get 2 bags free, then checking a pelican is no problem. I fly with my rig all the time. At this point I use an Axe III I’m a SKB fly case, it weight 49lbs, yet the same idea applies.

Do what makes sense for you 👍

I don’t check my “tones”, I check my guitar.

Logic is, if worse comes to worst, I can always purchase a halfway decent guitar somewhere on the road and move on.

I stick it in my carry on (which I always check when I fly Southwest) and cover it up with clothes, etc.

I haven't had the chance to fly yet with the FM3 but I've carried on and checked my AX8 a bunch of times. Always in a Pelican or SKB iSeries case along with other gear. Still, the Fractal gear is built to withstand the rigors of the road, so as long as you have some cushioning to absorb impacts and maybe some foam or something to protect the screen, it should be just fine either way. If you can get it into a carry on bag there's less to worry about since you'll be handling it yourself. I've seen how checked luggage gets literally thrown and slammed around and always pack with that in mind.

I always checked my guitar and took my AX8 carry-on, so you should have no prob carrying on the FM3 since its smaller. Just check the carry-on size limits for the airline you're flying with.

Back
Top Bottom