Carrying case?

Thanks to all who gave input in this discussion. Because of it I now have several solid options from which to choose a case for my AX8. I'm leaning toward the SKB SC2111 as it seems to have the best combination of protection and affordability.

I'm currently hesitating between a Gator GK 2110 and the SKB SC2111.

Bascially want to put the AX8 and 1xBoss FV500 in there... + XLR cables that's it

Any preference between those 2?
I have the Gator and it works fine, it has some padding but yea not much real protection. I'm considering checking out the SKB but I wonder if the outside pocket is large enough for my 2nd EXP pedal, or if I can fit both inside...

I have the Gator and it works fine, it has some padding but yea not much real protection. I'm considering checking out the SKB but I wonder if the outside pocket is large enough for my 2nd EXP pedal, or if I can fit both inside...
If your expression pedal is an EV-1, there's not enough depth inside the case to fit one. In the front pocket? Maybe.

I had a 2111 but returned it. It's marketed as 4" deep, but it's only 3-3/4". I had to force the lid closed to zip it up...and it wouldn't take my EV-1.

If your expression pedal is an EV-1, there's not enough depth inside the case to fit one. In the front pocket? Maybe.

I had a 2111 but returned it. It's marketed as 4" deep, but it's only 3-3/4". I had to force the lid closed to zip it up...and it wouldn't take my EV-1.
Thanks Rex. I have a pair of Mission EP-1, I guess they're about the same size as the EV-1. I usually fit one in sideways in my Gator case so I'm thinking it would fit. May just order one and find out... ;-)

Thanks Rex. I have a pair of Mission EP-1, I guess they're about the same size as the EV-1. I usually fit one in sideways in my Gator case so I'm thinking it would fit. May just order one and find out... ;-)
The EV-1 is longer (11.5") and wider (~4.5") than the Mission, and doesn't play well with the 2111, which is only 11" wide and 3.75" deep.

I've had the Gator case for a while. It's not super durable so I ordered a Pelican 1555 that arrives on Friday.

The more you gig, the less soft bags cut it. I am hoping the 1555 is a good compromise between weight and durability. I don't necessarily want to go full traditional flight case and all the weight of that, but I do want it in the back of a van without worry of something smashing it.

Building my pedal board to fit into an SKB 1SKB-SC2316. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...UrQQaTzmzyzyrX-5ZKBqubSuzbdy-HLfN8RoC80rw_wcB

Room for the AX8, GLX-D16, Furman SS-6B, 2x Moog EP-3, 2x This1smyne exp knobs and laptop. Haven't bought the knobs yet. I didn't think I would use that many expression controllers until I bought @fremen presets. My soft guitar case and SBK have shoulder straps. Can carry the Alto if I'm feeling strong. The fully loaded case weighs in at about 35lbs. 31lbs without the laptop. Plug the Furman into an outlet, power and XLR to the Alto, and transmitter into the guitar, XLR to FOH, and I'm pretty much ready to go.

Not finished yet. Need to build a riser for the GLX receiver and exp knobs, and make 90 degree space conserving cables. The GLX power supply will sit under the riser.
layout.JPG
upload_2017-6-15_10-45-27.png

The original plan ended up not fitting the 23" inside width, but it fits if I flip the second exp pedal upside down in the case. Everything sits on a 1/2 inch, leftover piece of plywood covered in black faux leather.

On Floor small.jpg
In case small.jpg
Laptopsmall.jpg

Last edited:
I ended up going with this one (Gig-Box Jr. Pedal Board/Guitar Stand Case Black) Had to remove the guitar stand at the bottom inside but wanted hard case

I was considering the Gig Box, too, and taking out the guitar stand. How easy was it to take out? And do you have enough clearance?

I ended up going with this one (Gig-Box Jr. Pedal Board/Guitar Stand Case Black) Had to remove the guitar stand at the bottom inside but wanted hard case

I was considering the Gig Box, too, and taking out the guitar stand. How easy was it to take out? And do you have enough clearance?
Yes , plenty of clearance once Stand was removed. Real easy to remove. 4 Nuts. There is also room for some cables. Comes with a CABLE strap used for the stand. But I use it for the cables now. Velcros' real easy to the bottom of the board. Comes with keys too. There also is enough room for an expression pedal.

Yes , plenty of clearance once Stand was removed. Real easy to remove. 4 Nuts. There is also room for some cables. Comes with a CABLE strap used for the stand. But I use it for the cables now. Velcros' real easy to the bottom of the board. Comes with keys too. There also is enough room for an expression pedal.

Thanks for this info. Did you get the older kind which was molded plastic or the newer one which is tolex covered wood?

Here is the Rigid case I got from Home Depot ($29).

I added foam from an old yoga mat in our house and contact cement I already owned. I should have made the foam a little thinner... hindsight. But it still fits and doesn't move around inside with the lid closed. I also made a couple of minor internal adjustments with a Dremel Tool.

As you can see, there is still room for power cable and my xlr cables. I don't own an expression pedal, but I do think my crybaby would fit with a power cable. This thing is very durable and the AX8 fits like a glove.

FWIW

20170622_171658.jpg 20170622_171716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom