Carrie Fisher - RIP

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Just read the Carrie Fisher has passed away after suffering from a heart attack earlier this week...RIP Carrie.

My favorite movie Princess....

Very sad :( - I fear the pressures and self imposed expectations of being back in the limelight contributed. RIP Carrie

My favorite movie Princess....

Same...

1god2n_zpsipqtepp4.jpg

One of my first on screen heart throbs and just an all around funny and unique voice in literature and on the foibles of celebrity life. She'll always be Princess Leia to me. She's gone way too soon.

When you are a child you have Cinderella and Snowwhite but when you're an adolescent in the 80s you can have only a princess... RIP princess Carrie "Leyla" Fisher.

RIP Carrie Fisher. She will always be Princess Leia to my inner 5 years old who saw her on the big screen for the first time in 1977. She was great as the crazy ex in The Blues Brothers too. Any chic that can hang with John Belushi and do as much much blow and booze as him is alright in my book.
In honor of the Princess, here's John Williams conducting Princess Leia's theme. One of the most emotionally powerful themes I think he's written and especially hearing it now.

Unbelievably sad.

While she was well known for her stints in Star Wars, she had many other fantastic performances. Great comedic timing. An incredible writer too. Off the top of my head:

-Soapdish
-Harry Met Sally
-Man with the one red shoe
-Who couldn't love the beautiful jilted/left at the altar girl in Blues Brothers?
-Loverboy (hey, I thought it had it's moments)

She would slap me silly, but that metal bikini still bounces around in my head...in a good way.

I just watched her one-woman show on HBO, and it is refreshing to see someone so able to speak about her foibles in an amusing way. She made me feel less ashamed of my own very human moments. Acerbic wit, unapologetic, and raw. She would have fit in well with an earlier era of strong women such as Hepburn, Stritch, and Pleshette (and many others)

This has been a very tough year.

Love ya Carrie.

Wow. Just wow.

Edit:

Maybe it seems crazy that I care about this stuff, but my mother was a player in the San Francisco Opera ring. I grew up with musical comedy and had to suffer through every musical that came around. (Morgan Freeman came out of there, she was a roomie with him and he tells me that she was a bossy 'queen bee'...shocker, members of Jefferson Airplane...still talks to Marty Balin and a few others.)

So before I started singing to first the Jungle Book soundtrack, then every Partridge Family album, then the big jump to Deep Purple Machine Head, I had to listen to my mom sing 'I want to wash that man right out of my head' from South Pacific, and every song from West Side story to Singing in the Rain, it is a bit...weird... to see these folks go (even when you know it's inevitable.)

RIP Debbie and Carrie.

Last edited:
In a way its amazing that she's mostly remembered for the metal bikini when she was also one of the first action hero movie stars. Princess Leia was not a damsel in distress. No rescue and screaming tag along after the male hero for her, she took charge of that rescue and made them dumpster diving. She shot stormtroopers with the best of them. And handled rocket launchers, flamethrowers and M16's in the Blues Brothers.

RIP Carrie, I can't say I'm surprised considering the live you lived, but be at peace now.

Back
Top Bottom