Carr

Is there a Rambler coming? I have one. Anybody want to buy one? Great amp, but I have Axe. Would love one in Axe.

Kriig told me to try this - can only agree! Beautiful amp model! Tried it with 2x12 brit and blue - sweet! 4x12 greenback - sweet! With my strat - sweet! With my Les Paul - sweet! (etc) :)

Last edited:
It handles pedals as well as I remember the IRL model handles them -- which is to say: most awesomely.

What Cab`s are you guys using with it?

I tried a few cabs with it tonight and liked it with a couple of the newer 4x12 mix cabs (the Dumble EV12 ones in particular)...interesting amp...got a cool 70's Stones tone out of it. Lots of color/variation playing with just the Drive and Master. Definitely going to play with it more...

I tried a few cabs with it tonight and liked it with a couple of the newer 4x12 mix cabs (the Dumble EV12 ones in particular)...interesting amp...got a cool 70's Stones tone out of it. Lots of color/variation playing with just the Drive and Master. Definitely going to play with it more...

I have played a Carr Rambler for years and love that amp to death - asked for it in the wish list threads.

The mid control is very responsive and important to get all the shades out of the Rambler - be sure to check it out.

If you back off the mids it will take a on a very sweet Fender Black Face personality, sort of a Deluxe but with a bigger bottom end and more warmth.
Push the mids and the volume and it'll take on an almost Tweed Deluxe personality.
In the Rambler model in the Axe you can do so much more, and I have found some cool sounds with the mids pushed and the fat switch on.

Regarding cabinets, I found that many of the 112, 210 and 212 Fender cabs (cabs roughly 80-90 or there about IIRC) works really well.
I had great results with the Tweed Deluxe mix, PrinceTone 10" Silver and Vibrato 12".
For non-fender cab sims I found the Nuclear Mix, Scumtone and EVL IR's really great.

Kevin from OwnHammer will be releasing a 112 and a 212 open back cab pack (very) soon, and these will among others have IR's of a J12 PR, a Fane and a EV-SRO - I've found that these worked exceptionally well with the Rambler.

I only had 90 minutes or so total to play and test IR's with the Rambler sim, so there's lots more to try out and tinker with - but I already really love it.
When I get my Rambler back from a friend who loaned it for a studio project, I'll put them head to head and see how well Cliff nailed it.

^^^^ thanks for the tips; I'll be sure to try out your suggestions. Am going to play with that amp with some more cabs tonight.

Amazing how many cabs sound good with this amp. Got a killer clean tone and some great grind using a combination of the 2x12 Brit and the 4x12 Rumble EV12L. Couple that with the scene controllers and it makes a great clean/dirty patch.

I have played a Carr Rambler for years and love that amp to death - asked for it in the wish list threads.

The mid control is very responsive and important to get all the shades out of the Rambler - be sure to check it out.

If you back off the mids it will take a on a very sweet Fender Black Face personality, sort of a Deluxe but with a bigger bottom end and more warmth.
Push the mids and the volume and it'll take on an almost Tweed Deluxe personality.
In the Rambler model in the Axe you can do so much more, and I have found some cool sounds with the mids pushed and the fat switch on.

Regarding cabinets, I found that many of the 112, 210 and 212 Fender cabs (cabs roughly 80-90 or there about IIRC) works really well.
I had great results with the Tweed Deluxe mix, PrinceTone 10" Silver and Vibrato 12".
For non-fender cab sims I found the Nuclear Mix, Scumtone and EVL IR's really great.

Kevin from OwnHammer will be releasing a 112 and a 212 open back cab pack (very) soon, and these will among others have IR's of a J12 PR, a Fane and a EV-SRO - I've found that these worked exceptionally well with the Rambler.

I only had 90 minutes or so total to play and test IR's with the Rambler sim, so there's lots more to try out and tinker with - but I already really love it.
When I get my Rambler back from a friend who loaned it for a studio project, I'll put them head to head and see how well Cliff nailed it.

Note that the model is preliminary. I haven't finished measuring the tapers.

But it still sound damn good!!

Feels like a cross between a Suhr Badger 18 and AC30 (on full tilt) imho.. The feel is incredible.
I also tried the Liverpool (YNWA) with the same ir (JM ir -#6 or 7??) last night. Great amp too. I may post some clips during the weekend.

That JM ir makes everything vintage sounding!! Never used it or liked it, but with the Carr it is perfect. And i got it to work great with a lot of amps.

It`s fizzy, fuzzy and kills in a mix imho.

Back
Top Bottom