Carol-Ann Tucana Lead: 773Hz Input EQ Low Cut?

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Was touring through the palette of amps in the FM-3 looking for some new lead tones and, upon landing on the "Carol-Ann Tucana Lead" I noticed the Input EQ Low Cut is defaulting to 773Hz which seems pretty high. I reset the block, etc. and that's where it's always defaulting to.

I had to bring that cut way down to get some beef/body out of my Strat with that amp...is 773Hz correct?

I'm not at my desk right now but i seem to remember another amp (maybe one of the mark series amps) with a very high cut like this and it sound absolutely perfect. Bottom line, trust your ears.

No idea about that particular amp, but it sounds like the same idea as setting Bass really low, and possibly boosting it back up post the overdriven stages.

Kind of makes me wonder if the amps are designed this way to lop off Bass pre-gain at
the Input, and then add it back in post-gain. My hunch is if these are the settings in the
Presets for those Amp Models then it has to be reflective of how the amps themselves
were designed.

Sure, it's common for some amps to aggressively chop off/voice the low end before hitting the preamp and make it up at the PA, particularly higher gain amps. I do exactly this for many of my tones (roll of bass pre-input, fatten after the preamp/main gain stages), but a low cut at 773Hz just seems to be pretty high....there isn't that much of anything left at that cutoff.

I suppose this circuit/amp can make that up somewhere; I've not looked deeply into this but I did start hunting immediately as to why this amp sounded particularly anemic the instant I landed on it, only to find a 773Hz low cutoff which I had to dial back to get some heft into the tone.

I've never seen an amp with that high of a low cut frequency, not even close, so am just wondering out-loud here...as post-773Hz all that's left is...nastiness....pain....

Kind of makes me wonder if the amps are designed this way to lop off Bass pre-gain at
the Input, and then add it back in post-gain. My hunch is if these are the settings in the
Presets for those Amp Models then it has to be reflective of how the amps themselves
were designed.
Alan Philips, the Carol Ann guy, worked with Cliff on the CA models to get them just right, and he's one of the best amp designers around, so if he did, he knows what he's doing. The Carol Anns are fantastic amps- some of the best out there IMO. He's also recently collaborated with Mike Zaite (Dr. Z) on the CAZ-45. I just popped some new KT-88s into my Tucana 3 today, and man, what a monster amp.

Alan Philips, the Carol Ann guy, worked with Cliff on the CA models to get them just right, and he's one of the best amp designers around, so if he did, he knows what he's doing. The Carol Anns are fantastic amps- some of the best out there IMO. He's also recently collaborated with Mike Zaite (Dr. Z) on the CAZ-45. I just popped some new KT-88s into my Tucana 3 today, and man, what a monster amp.

Yes, agreed...Alan and those amps are hugely respected and revered, no doubt...I've never had the opportunity to try one but they are always on a short-list of tube amps that I'd really like to check out.

Back
Top Bottom