Carol Ann Appreciation Thread

This was my initial impression, too. Odd thing is I used to think Marshalls were too
bright and bitey, and craved the darker/warmer take on Marshall circuits like what
Bogner did with the XTC and Shiva models. I still own a Goldfinger 45 and used to have
a Shiva.

Now I really dig that upper-mid focus Marshalls seem to have in spades and have moved
back away from the low-mid emphasis of some of the "modern interpretations" of
iconic Marshall circuits.

Cool that with the Fractal line you don't have to eliminate one option to go with another. :)
As a rhythm player I prefer the darker take on the Marshall sound. I also tend to use brighter guitars (teles, strats, P90s) so they pair fine with darker amps. I have trouble getting the punch I want with a lot of the Marshalls. I love the sounds, particularly the Plexis, but I struggle getting a percussive response to pair with the great upper midrange content. I don’t have that problem with the CA or Cameron models.

Thanks for highlighting this amp! I'm playing with the Triptik through a York M25 Mix IR and I'm getting a very beautiful, wood-like lead tone. It's my new favorite lead patch (for the day).

As a rhythm player I prefer the darker take on the Marshall sound. I also tend to use brighter guitars (teles, strats, P90s) so they pair fine with darker amps. I have trouble getting the punch I want with a lot of the Marshalls. I love the sounds, particularly the Plexis, but I struggle getting a percussive response to pair with the great upper midrange content. I don’t have that problem with the CA or Cameron models.

That's such a great point. :)

I'm mainly a chugga chugga guy, but I've spent the day playing the Tucana, it sounds killer with every guitar I have and I love how reactive it is to touch. That's definitely an amp I could gig with and just use a volume knob all night for clean/rhythm/lead.

I'm mainly a chugga chugga guy, but I've spent the day playing the Tucana, it sounds killer with every guitar I have and I love how reactive it is to touch. That's definitely an amp I could gig with and just use a volume knob all night for clean/rhythm/lead.
Which IRs are you liking for it?

I played a friends OD2R for the first time last night. Great sounding amp. The AxeFX preset for that amp is horribly dark and muddy in comparison. Haven’t had a chance to revisit the preset but I’ll dial it in from scratch the next time I do.

I played a friends OD2R for the first time last night. Great sounding amp. The AxeFX preset for that amp is horribly dark and muddy in comparison. Haven’t had a chance to revisit the preset but I’ll dial it in from scratch the next time I do.
Overall I think the factory presets are the best of any modeler I’ve tried. But some of them (including the updated Cygnus presets for the Axe) just aren’t dialed in how I would assume most people use the real amps. The Dirty Shirley is a great example. I love the real amp, but the factory preset is very dark and boomy. The bass is at 2 o’clock, the presence is at about 10 o’clock and the IRs are on the dark and bassy side. The real amp has a ton of low end and isn’t terribly bright, so those settings only exaggerate those qualities. I typically keep the bass at 9 o’clock or lower and the presence at 1 or 2 o’clock on the real amp and it’s anything but dark and muddy. But it’s all subjective, maybe they were just going for something different when they created some of these presets.

Yeah, I don’t use any of the factory presets. Every once and a while I spin through them for fun to see if something catches my ear. But to just plug into them without modifying at least the basic tone parameters is like walking into Guitar Center and plugging in to all the amps without ever turning a knob.

Problem is that for many of us our first experience with many of these amps is through a preset. Doesn’t always give a great first impression and almost never represents an amp the way I would dial it in.

Back
Top Bottom