Carol Ann Appreciation Thread

Cam Heiliger

Inspired
The great thing about being an FAS owner is that Christmas can come whenever you want it to. Decided to spend some time with the Carol Ann amps yesterday after downloading and playing with @Burgs live presets (thanks so much for sharing) and I can’t decide which model I like most. Sound great with Humbucker or singles, great smooth drive tone, awesome cleans, and all are super versatile. Anyone spent extended time with these models and have any tips, tricks, favorite drive pairings or IRs?

The great thing about being an FAS owner is that Christmas can come whenever you want it to. Decided to spend some time with the Carol Ann amps yesterday after downloading and playing with @Burgs live presets (thanks so much for sharing) and I can’t decide which model I like most. Sound great with Humbucker or singles, great smooth drive tone, awesome cleans, and all are super versatile. Anyone spent extended time with these models and have any tips, tricks, favorite drive pairings or IRs?
Here are some I created, based on Brett Kingman (he picked the amp and cab... I made a few changes to suit my guitar, etc.). It does NOT use the latest firmware... change the cab to hi-res and it just sparkles!

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8692

I‘ve had at least five amps that are modeled in the FM3 and am impressed at how much the simulations capture the sound, feel, (and some of the quirks). Finding the perfect IR pairing is an art itself. :)

The Tucana 3 and Triptik are both very versatile. I liked the Tucana 3 models so much that I bought the actual amp. It’s a glorious piece of music making magic, and something different from the Boogies, Fenders, and Plexi types in my music room.

Alan Phillips is a brilliant amp designer, and it’s a shame that circumstances eventually drove him out of the business. I’m glad to have one example of what I think to be his crowning achievement in design, and hope he’s found what he was looking for in life!

The Tucana 3 and Triptik are both very versatile. I liked the Tucana 3 models so much that I bought the actual amp. It’s a glorious piece of music making magic, and something different from the Boogies, Fenders, and Plexi types in my music room.

Alan Phillips is a brilliant amp designer, and it’s a shame that circumstances eventually drove him out of the business. I’m glad to have one example of what I think to be his crowning achievement in design, and hope he’s found what he was looking for in life!
I really hope the CAZ45 gets into the Axe some day.

I really hope the CAZ45 gets into the Axe some day.
I haven’t heard or played that one, but it was a good move by Dr Z to get Alan involved. Some of his tech stuff, like the BiasMon systems, would be a nice add to anyone’s build. And his ear for tone is undeniable. Looks like a good pairing!

I find the CA's (in my Axe III) to be incredibly dark and muddy. Yes, I know I can just make adjustments to brighten them but I always wonder why they are set that way. Even new CA Cygnus presets on III. Just so muffled I can't believe anyone would use them that way out of the box. And yes I had a real OD2 at one point. Just gives a bad impression of great amps.

I find the CA's (in my Axe III) to be incredibly dark and muddy. Yes, I know I can just make adjustments to brighten them but I always wonder why they are set that way. Even new CA Cygnus presets on III. Just so muffled I can't believe anyone would use them that way out of the box. And yes I had a real OD2 at one point. Just gives a bad impression of great amps.
Check out that preset I included... there is a wah block (no kidding) that adds a high end tone. Again, that part came from Brett Kingman and it makes a big difference.

I haven’t heard or played that one, but it was a good move by Dr Z to get Alan involved. Some of his tech stuff, like the BiasMon systems, would be a nice add to anyone’s build. And his ear for tone is undeniable. Looks like a good pairing!
Saw some demo videos I thought were pretty cool.

I think they’re set at something they felt was representative on what they’re listening through, but as you mention, the real amps are anything but dark or muddy. Perhaps they were using a Tele or similar, it’s hard to say. Once adjusted with a proper cab block in line, the models are impressive.

This was my initial impression, too. Odd thing is I used to think Marshalls were too
bright and bitey, and craved the darker/warmer take on Marshall circuits like what
Bogner did with the XTC and Shiva models. I still own a Goldfinger 45 and used to have
a Shiva.

Now I really dig that upper-mid focus Marshalls seem to have in spades and have moved
back away from the low-mid emphasis of some of the "modern interpretations" of
iconic Marshall circuits.

Cool that with the Fractal line you don't have to eliminate one option to go with another. :)

My two go to models are the Ac20 and the Tucana 3. Between those two I feel I got pretty much everything covered for my live stuff, playing classic rock covers. I use legacy IR 119 with the AC20 and legacy IR 103 with the Tucana. They both sound great at stock settings and the key for me with the Tucana is the overdrive. I usually leave the input drive around noon and adjust the overdrive for the amount of gain I want. Overdrive at 7-10 is glorious. I usually boost the mids a bit as well. Great models.

My two go to models are the Ac20 and the Tucana 3. Between those two I feel I got pretty much everything covered for my live stuff, playing classic rock covers. I use legacy IR 119 with the AC20 and legacy IR 103 with the Tucana. They both sound great at stock settings and the key for me with the Tucana is the overdrive. I usually leave the input drive around noon and adjust the overdrive for the amount of gain I want. Overdrive at 7-10 is glorious. I usually boost the mids a bit as well. Great models.
16.01?

Back
Top Bottom