Car woofer/sub boxes as a cheap FRFR cabs option?

Philthy

Was looking at some 12" woofer boxes for cars and it dawned on me that they might be a cheap FRFR cab solution. ie: buy them unloaded then drop in an Eminence Beta 12cx and tweeter.

There are usualy carpeted mdf/chip board material and very cheap ie $30 unloaded where i am.

THoughts?

I don't see why not, maybe double check the cab volume to make sure it will fit the speakers requirements.

Just an FYI those boxes are usually made from MDF which isn't very sturdy.

Unfortunately its not that simple... to get proper frfr you need to do more than drop a driver and tweeter into a cab with a crossover.. everything has to be calculated and matched. Plenty of discussion on the forum about this and when you start investigating you will realise it is a complex process.

Those enclosures are typically designed to fit a given enclosure space for a specific car, or they are designed to “thump”, which guys with car stereos want, people who want an accurate representation of low end don’t.

No one drives down the street saying “my ride is flat within +\- 3dB down to 37 hertz”. Lol

Geez....... I got nothin' ;)

The boxes may be cheap but what about the drivers? Then.... what do you do if you don't like em? I had a pair of dual 15's and a 22X16" horns with 2" compression drivers (Peavey 44T's) that I built. They were nice, and I used a Behringer Ultra Drive for EQ control, notch filters, crossover, etc. with separate amps for highs and lows. Well, I haven't played in a band since 2011, and the only thing anyone wanted to do with my huge 150 lb speakers were the Peavey 44T"s and the Behringer. I mean I couldn't give them away. So that was about $600 down the drain, but I did get a lot of use out of them.

Point is if you don't have enough cash for; oh lets say a pair of QSC K12's, Go ahead and try it, but don't expect much and don't expect to get your money back that you put in. The Ultra Drive is a great piece, and would make them sound much better, but now your talking about biamping and another $300.

Don't mean to bum you out, but the guys above all made good points.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...vRhjWyvW2umDT4YRAM0FkPvERcuhMK-RoCxbMQAvD_BwE

Not mention that if the guy is inquiring about cheep empty speaker boxes for a car he's not looking for CLR performance either.

Not mention that if the guy is inquiring about cheep empty speaker boxes for a car he's not looking for CLR performance either.

But given he’s asking on this forum he’s surely running a high end modeler costing upwards of $1000.....

If I had a $50 Line6 POD I got a yard sale I’d be okay with a slightly different playback system than a FAS product which cost over a grand.

But given he’s asking on this forum he’s surely running a high end modeler costing upwards of $1000.....

If I had a $50 Line6 POD I got a yard sale I’d be okay with a slightly different playback system than a FAS product which cost over a grand.

True! but the OP didn't say anything about a budget and there have been people that still want the best even though they can only afford to piece it together.

Putting together an FR system on a budget going the DIY rout is not unheard of. I have been a part of many threads over the years that have asked similar questions on the subject.

I also agree with you and others but if the guy wants to hear his 1000+ modeler right now on speakers that are less than desirable only costing a $100 or so why not boil it down to yes you can do that.

Back
Top Bottom