Capturing Amp Tones With FW 6.0

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
Is it possible to caputre the sound of a cranked amp through the amp's line-out (this line-out includes the power amp distortion, too) going into an Axe FX II input and ultimately an Axe FX II cabinet simulation, or is there only the possibility to tone match the whole physical amp-cab-mic system?

Curious about this as well. I have mediocre preamps (Profire 2626) but I have the UA Apollo on the way, so I wonder if preamps matter for this process.

I'm planning to use a DI box between amp and speaker. Should capture all power amp tones and leave speaker interaction intact just not get the sound of the speaker.

The line out does not necessarily include the power amp distortion. Often, the "line out" signal is tapped before the power stage. But what you want can still be achieved, as HJM said, too: get some "Guitar DI Box" that can be looped in between the speaker output of the amp and the speaker.

Then switch off the cab simulator of this box (be sure to get a box which is capable of this). Then you have a line level signal that includes the full amp sound and no cab component.

The line out does not necessarily include the power amp distortion. Often, the "line out" signal is tapped before the power stage. But what you want can still be achieved, as HJM said, too: get some "Guitar DI Box" that can be looped in between the speaker output of the amp and the speaker.

Then switch off the cab simulator of this box (be sure to get a box which is capable of this). Then you have a line level signal that includes the full amp sound and no cab component.

That's not the problem. I know for a fact that the power amp distortion is already included in the line-out I want to use, because the amp was designed that way, so no DI Box is needed here.

My question is:

Assuming you have a usable line-out signal at your disposal, which consists of the whole overdrive and distortion characteristics of the actual amp, will it be possible to tone match an internal amp in the Axe II to to the line-out signal of the physical amp?

i don't see why this wouldn't be possible. the axe will match the tone of whatever you give it. normally you would include the cab as part of the recipe, but in this situation, i guess it would be better to leave it out.....no cab in the original signal...no cab included when tone matching. just add the cab after the tone match block when you're done. the only way to know for sure is to try it, i guess...!

Should be possible.

Electrically there would not be much different in:

guitar -> amp -> DI line out -> AxeFx

guitar -> amp -> cab -> microphone -> mic preamp line out -> AxeFx

Richard

Important to remember that the tone capture captures the tone not the distortion. It captures the linear not non-linear aspects (distortion, compression). so it will captures the tonal aspects of a cranked poweramp section, but not the distortion.
You would pick an amp in the axe-fx that was close to the gain structure of the amp you are matching and apply the distortion there.

Important to remember that the tone capture captures the tone not the distortion. It captures the linear not non-linear aspects (distortion, compression). so it will captures the tonal aspects of a cranked poweramp section, but not the distortion.
You would pick an amp in the axe-fx that was close to the gain structure of the amp you are matching and apply the distortion there.

Good points!

I was commenting on the how-to, not what to expect :)

Back
Top Bottom