Captain Hook

iaresee

Administrator
I got a new guitar and some inspiration from @Glenn DeLaune's post about his Hook 3B preset so I set out today to conquer the mighty Hook amp models once and for all!

The end result: Captain Hook!

I don't usually run with an X/Y AMP setup but I gave it a shot for this preset and it works really well. The X side of the AMP block is a clean 1A model that has a touch of "pop" on it, a fast response and a good range of tones across all the pickup settings on the JEM. The Y side takes it up quite a bit with the 3B model. It's running with low'ish gain on the 3B so it stays tight.

I use the drive block to hit both sides harder. The drive block is also set up for X/Y use with two different flavors of Full Drive on tap. Lower gain on the X side with mild output and higher gain on the Y side with lots of output.

In the CAB block I'm using the 4x12 Uber V30 57 Cap-Edge IR from Cab Pack 5, the 4x12 UltraRes collection. Great IR! I saved the preset with it on factory cab 47 the 4x12 German V30 (RW) IR which is what Glenn is using in his preset according to that thread. Work well too, but I like the focus of that 57 capture from the cab pack.

Pedal 1 is assigned to auto-engage the wah. Pedal 2 takes the delay into self-oscillation.

Enjoy!

Thanks Ian. The mighty Hook is an awesome addition to the Fractal amp collection. Can't resist the obvious pun. Did you pan L/R reverb trails or do they just peter out?

And congrats on the new guitar! It's always a blast to add a new filly to the stable.
You can never resist the obvious pun...!:p

and by da way, this preset is excellent, Ian. I used the ML Zilla V30 SM571 to great effect..and it Fractooled nicely to my XL+

Last edited:
DUDE...welcome to the JEM club!! That’s a beaut...too bad you weren’t at U of Vai last week, Steve coulda baptized it .

DUDE...welcome to the JEM club!! That’s a beaut...too bad you weren’t at U of Vai last week, Steve coulda baptized it .
Thanks. This is a return to the club of sorts. My wife bought it for me. She wanted to replace the UV777GR I sold to help pay my first year of university. And she knew I wouldn’t play a 7-string now but this one...

What can I say? I found the perfect partner.

Took the JEM and this preset on the AX8 out to rehearsal tonight and was really, really happy with the sound. Lots of variance on the clean tones using the volume knob and the pickup selector. The light drive was pretty good -- maybe I'll back the gain back a hair on it so it's a bit lighter when the volume is rolled full-on. The "overdrive channel" on the amp, the 3B side, was stellar! Lots of cut and sing to play with and good feedback that could be ridden for long, held notes.

Took the JEM and this preset on the AX8 out to rehearsal tonight and was really, really happy with the sound. Lots of variance on the clean tones using the volume knob and the pickup selector. The light drive was pretty good -- maybe I'll back the gain back a hair on it so it's a bit lighter when the volume is rolled full-on. The "overdrive channel" on the amp, the 3B side, was stellar! Lots of cut and sing to play with and good feedback that could be ridden for long, held notes.
Sounds like what a great preset and guitar should do. As they say, "I love it when a plan comes together".

Love the Hook models. As it says in the wiki an "open and smoother" version of a JCM800, but there's something that's just so much more than that. And I love the JCM800 in the Axe.

Love the Hook models. As it says in the wiki an "open and smoother" version of a JCM800, but there's something that's just so much more than that. And I love the JCM800 in the Axe.
I hadn't considered it as a comparable amp to the JCM800. I'll have to try them side-by-side. I'm not much of a Marshall aficionado I must profess. My JCM800 experience has largely been with those beat up, shared rehearsal space 1/2 stacks you encounter where it's a JCM800 or JCM900 on top of some mangled Marshall 4x12 that everyone abuses and pukes on. :)

I hadn't considered it as a comparable amp to the JCM800. I'll have to try them side-by-side. I'm not much of a Marshall aficionado I must profess. My JCM800 experience has largely been with those beat up, shared rehearsal space 1/2 stacks you encounter where it's a JCM800 or JCM900 on top of some mangled Marshall 4x12 that everyone abuses and pukes on. :)
I never did either, but then I saw that in the wiki one day. Here's the whole quote from Cliff, which was pretty recent:

"The Capt. Hook's "thing" is that it's basically a JCM800 with the cathode follower replaced by a mu-follower. A mu-follower doesn't compress and distort like a cathode follower does. This results in the amp sounding more open and smoother."

And lol on your comment about rehearsal space Marshalls... ah the good old days ;-)

Well let it be known that if you don't have a pedal plugged into #2 you get some crazy oscillation even with the delay block off! Took me a bit to figure that one out.

Cool preset thanks for sharing.

Well let it be known that if you don't have a pedal plugged into #2 you get some crazy oscillation even with the delay block off! Took me a bit to figure that one out.

Cool preset thanks for sharing.
Not if you default Pedal 2 to 0% in the config menu. :)

Back
Top Bottom