Capo, the real thing you use on a guitar

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
Looking for suggestions and what you are using for your acoustic or electric guitars.

I have a few 20 year old Shubb's that work well.
I have an adjustable tension/clamp on Planet Waves PW-CP-05 that I like a lot, but seems to be discontinued.
I really like the adjustable tension quick clamp on style, but I haven't purchased one in over 10 years.

What do you say?

I can't recall the brand, but I use the one that's spring-loaded. I like the mechanics of it because I play at least one song in which I need to remove it quickly during the song, and it does that job well, in part because it's open on one end, and then I just stick it on the headstock when not in use.
Oh, and I don't use a capo on electric for anything, since the Virtual Capo effect in the Pitch Block (Axe III) is so good. Maybe if I played Hotel California I might use a real capo instead.

I have a few of the G7 brand that I use for electric and acoustic andIlikethem a lot. One is specifically made for 12-string and it works well.

The G7s are easy to adjust for the right clamping pressure without pushing the guitar out of tune. And, they're good for placing above the nut for storing when not in use.

Attachments

• 0002535_performance-3-steel-string-satin-black_600.png
    0002535_performance-3-steel-string-satin-black_600.png
    209 KB · Views: 8
  • 04-Np-compensated-string-pad.jpeg
    04-Np-compensated-string-pad.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 8
I have a few of the G7 brand that I use for electric and acoustic andIlikethem a lot. One is specifically made for 12-string and it works well.

The G7s are easy to adjust for the right clamping pressure without pushing the guitar out of tune. And, they're good for placing above the nut for storing when not in use.

Cool! I had not see the 12 string one before!

There used to be a Shubb on my pedal board. Haven’t seen it for a while. Haven’t used it for years.

Yes, unless you're playing acoustic and need lots of open strings, then good luck.
Or, even if you just want to ...

add the sus4 on the G string to the chord shown in the pic ...

play a C-shape chord with the 5th in the bass ...

play a G7-shape chord with the 5th on the second string ...

play lots of things that are easy in first position, but nearly impossible up the neck.

A capo can be a crutch, but they're super-handy to have around.

"partial" capos can be fun, too.

Capos change the timber of the guitar in a way I don’t think a pitch block could, but I’m on the FM3. To me it’s a shimmery kind of change in tone, not just a function of pitch. I’m guessing it’s because the nut is now a fret. Sounds different in a way that’s tough to describe. For instance Social Distortion Mike Ness is tuned to Eb and capoed on the 2nd. And the bridge P90 playing lots of open chords. I saw them play a New Years show in Pomona Ca can’t remember what year but about 6 years ago. One of the best guitar shows and best guitar tones I have ever heard period. It was awesome. They do a few songs in standard no capo and it also sounds great but not exactly the same as the capo songs. I use Schubbs. Wish you could buy them for specific radius. Also have one of the G7s but prefer the Schubb.

I've got a few Shubb capos that I've had for years, one for acoustic and one for electric. Then there's a Planet Waves/D'Addario
capo that's a cross between a Shubb and a Kyser. The one I use mostly on acoustic anymore is a Paige capo.

Agree - You just have to try to make 'here comes the sun' sound 'right' to appreciate a capo :)
Thanks
Pauly

Capos change the timber of the guitar in a way I don’t think a pitch block could, but I’m on the FM3. To me it’s a shimmery kind of change in tone, not just a function of pitch. I’m guessing it’s because the nut is now a fret. Sounds different in a way that’s tough to describe. For instance Social Distortion Mike Ness is tuned to Eb and capoed on the 2nd. And the bridge P90 playing lots of open chords. I saw them play a New Years show in Pomona Ca can’t remember what year but about 6 years ago. One of the best guitar shows and best guitar tones I have ever heard period. It was awesome. They do a few songs in standard no capo and it also sounds great but not exactly the same as the capo songs. I use Schubbs. Wish you could buy them for specific radius. Also have one of the G7s but prefer the Schubb.

Back
Top Bottom