USB Adaptor Mode = on
Send Real-time Sysex = none

Connected MIDI out from Axe to MIDI in on MFC

Pressed and held switch #1 on MFC

Turned on Axe

"FW UPDATE MODE" displayed

"Error 18" displayed once Axe fully booted up

?

I tried disabling "Axe-Fx Mode" and disconnecting FASLink/CAT5 and using the power adaptor, but the results were the same.

Prepare the MFC-101 to receive the file
a. For FIRMWARE: power on the Axe-Fx II while holding footswitch #1 to boot the MFC-101 into
Firmware Update Mode.
If you are using the Axe-Fx as a MIDI Interface to transmit the
update, you must wait until after the Axe-Fx has fully booted before connecting a cable from
its MIDI OUT port to the MIDI IN port of the MFC-101. Otherwise, the Axe-Fx will try to sync
and cause “ERROR 18” in the MFC-101.

Error 18 indicates some kind of MIDI issue. You should disconnect any cable except MIDI and power.

So I'm having the same issue. I saw these instructions in the firmware manual, but aren't these directions in the section for powering the MFC via Ethercon/FASlink? I'm scared to try this since there are several warnings in the MFC manual that read as follows:

IMPORTANT: Always make sure the Axe-*‐Fx II is powered OFF before connecting/disconnecting the MFC-*‐101.

You must turn everything off before disconnecting the Ethernet / Ethercon cable. Then power up the Axe, wait till it's full on, set as described in the manual (it becomes a MIDI device: USB Adaptor Mode = on , Send Real-time Sysex = none), connect the power adapter to the MFC and while you do this hold on footswitch #1: this put the MFC in UPDATE MODE. Connect a 5 pin MIDI to Axe-Fx MIDI Out e MFC MIDI In then transmit the FW with Fractal-Bot
This is the "safe" mode to update.

You must turn everything off before disconnecting the Ethernet / Ethercon cable. Then power up the Axe, wait till it's full on, set as described in the manual (it becomes a MIDI device: USB Adaptor Mode = on , Send Real-time Sysex = none), connect the power adapter to the MFC and while you do this hold on footswitch #1: this put the MFC in UPDATE MODE. Connect a 5 pin MIDI to Axe-Fx MIDI Out e MFC MIDI In then transmit the FW with Fractal-Bot
This is the "safe" mode to update.

Thanks a lot. This is excactly what I was looking here for. A short and concise explanation from someone how to update a MFC.

Back
Top Bottom