Can't make a choice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I've moved back to my home country this September and picked up the guitar again. I haven't played for a long time in total, I'd say about 3 years in total. Throughout the years I got my hands on a Mesa Boogie JP2C which I love, a Marshall YJM100, and a Marshall AFD100. I also have a Kemper profiler which I barely used. I'm not an analog fanboy and I have nothing against digital stuff. I've heard the Axe FX (not III, just the II) in live and I was blown away by the sound of it through studio monitors, and I also love the amp in the room vibe of using a 4x12 and my tube heads.

I'm really thinking about buying an Axe FX III despite the limitless possibilities and tweaking I've seen in YouTube videos are quite intimidating for me. I'm not an audio engineer by any means.

So I have a few questions:
  • does anyone here got rid of their Kemper after buying an Axe FX?
  • I have the option to buy an Axe FX III for a reasonable price (around 1800 Euros) or with the FC 12 for 2600 Euros
  • or I can wait 3 weeks for the Mark II and pay 2533 Euros
I don't know which one to go for.

I know the difference between the MK II and the first version are not huge but I'm still worried about that I'd feel bad knowing there's a "better" version of the unit I could get buy instead. (I know, it's a psychological effect)

I'm not planning to sell any of my tube amps but I was thinking about whether I'll need the Kemper after buying the Axe FX or not.

Thank you :)

I’ve been an analog guy since forever. A couple of years ago I decided to switch to digital, and opted for the best device out there and got myself an Axe-FX III.

I was intimidated by the limitless routing and tweaking capabilities, like you, but at the same time I knew I could start with a simple preset to replicate my analog setup and start from there. And man, there’s no turning back. The Axe-FX III sounds so good with just a Drive, Amp and Cab block.

If I were you, and planning to use the Axe live, I would opt for the III+FC12, otherwise for a studio-only tool, I would wait 3 weeks and get the MkII. You can always buy an FC later if you think you really need it.

Keeping the Kemper or not it’s up to you. I can only say you won’t miss it, should you decide to sell it 😉

Also watch a few of Leon Todd’s 5 minute tones videos to get an idea of how easy it can be to dial in a good sound. Eg he often runs an Atomica pretty close to stock!

I was also an analog guy for many many years. I had many tube amps, I have used most of the plugins, then my journey took me to Helix, then Kemper and finally I bought an AX3 MK2. Now Kemper is up for sale. I was worried about the complexity of the axe, but it is complex as much as you want it to be. I can dial a good tone faster than on Kemper.
As far as MK1 vs MK2 goes, there is not much difference as of now, but I sleep more peacefully knowing I have latest version. :tonguewink:

If the extra cash isn’t a stretch for you I’d wait and go for the mkII. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

I’ve been an analog guy since forever. A couple of years ago I decided to switch to digital, and opted for the best device out there and got myself an Axe-FX III.

I was intimidated by the limitless routing and tweaking capabilities, like you, but at the same time I knew I could start with a simple preset to replicate my analog setup and start from there. And man, there’s no turning back. The Axe-FX III sounds so good with just a Drive, Amp and Cab block.

If I were you, and planning to use the Axe live, I would opt for the III+FC12, otherwise for a studio-only tool, I would wait 3 weeks and get the MkII. You can always buy an FC later if you think you really need it.

Keeping the Kemper or not it’s up to you. I can only say you won’t miss it, should you decide to sell it 😉

I'm not planning to use it live, I'm still in the beginner stage, but of course the goal is to play to the public one day. Maybe the FC12 can wait a bit :)

Also watch a few of Leon Todd’s 5 minute tones videos to get an idea of how easy it can be to dial in a good sound. Eg he often runs an Atomica pretty close to stock!

Thank you, I've already came across his videos and the tones he's creating are amazing.

1. Had a Kemper, and sold it. No longer necessary after buying the III.
2. Sounds like we think in a similar manner. MKI and MKII are so similar, it shouldn’t matter, but it might when spending so much money. That said, with the price difference, it’s up to you. But since you asked for an opinion, I’d get the MKI if it’s new.
3. I didn’t sell any of my great amps. I sold the few that won’t appreciate in value.

1. Had a Kemper, and sold it. No longer necessary after buying the III.
2. Sounds like we think in a similar manner. MKI and MKII are so similar, it shouldn’t matter, but it might when spending so much money. That said, with the price difference, it’s up to you. But since you asked for an opinion, I’d get the MKI if it’s new.
3. I didn’t sell any of my great amps. I sold the few that won’t appreciate in value.
The 2 MKI units I could buy are used, one of them is in mint condition but the seller only sells with the footswitch, the other was has scratches on the handle.

Is there any monitor which could make me feel like I'm playing on a 4x12 speaker? I've seen some people using the Friedman ASM. Is it any good? I'm currently having two Tannoy Reveal 802's which I'm only using for watching Youtube videos at the moment ... :rolleyes:

Couldn't love my two Atomic CLR active wedges any more unless I had the lighter weight Neo versions. Still doesn't sound like my Marshall 425A 412 cab with my tube heads, but has so many advantages over it that I'd rather use the CLRs.
IMG_8250.jpg

Couldn't love my two Atomic CLR active wedges any more unless I had the lighter weight Neo versions. Still doesn't sound like my Marshall 425A 412 cab with my tube heads, but has so many advantages over it that I'd rather use the CLRs.
View attachment 75668
This looks really nice. Have you ever tried the Friedman active monitors? Would you recommend the Atomic speakers over them?

This looks really nice. Have you ever tried the Friedman active monitors? Would you recommend the Atomic speakers over them?
Haven't tried the Friedmans, but folks seem to like them here. I get the feeling that they might not be as flat as the CLRs - that they have more of the Marshall thump/low midrange emphasis that would help make up for that 412 not being there, but someone with the Friedmans needs to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom