Can't Go From 7.18 to 8.02 on my Standard

CudBucket

Inspired
For some reason, I can't apply the firmware update. I have an M-Audio 2496 card in a Core 2 Quad machine running Vista 64 SP1. This may be the first time I've updated the firmware on this PC but I've used the same interface before in an XP PC without issue.

The progress bar gets most of the way done and then resets. This was with Bome's Librarian. I'd shut down Bome's and then restart the Axe but the result is the same. When I try MIDI_OX, it doesn't ever actually get to the progress bar. The Axe just says "Awaiting File" but MIDI_OX appears to be sending data until it just stops.

I even tried the newest Beta Axe Fx Editor and while it shows me a progress bar on the PC, the AXE continues to read "Awaiting File". I know the Midi IN and OUT are OK because the Profile on the Axe Editor ran fine.

Any ideas? Should I try loading an older firmware and then try going to 8.02?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave

Are you sure the .syx file isn't corrupt? The first thing I would do is download it again. The second thing I would do is check whether the setup (connections, interface, midi librarian tool) actually work for smaller/simpler data exchanges like transfering a preset from PC to Axe and vice-versa. If it fails for even small preset files, don't bother hemmering your head to make it work on a complete firmware update... work on resolving the issue first with the small stuff (faster, and much safer as you have less chance of borking your Axe with a preset than you do with f/w).

Dpoirier said:
Are you sure the .syx file isn't corrupt? The first thing I would do is download it again. The second thing I would do is check whether the setup (connections, interface, midi librarian tool) actually work for smaller/simpler data exchanges like transfering a preset from PC to Axe and vice-versa. If it fails for even small preset files, don't bother hemmering your head to make it work on a complete firmware update... work on resolving the issue first with the small stuff (faster, and much safer as you have less chance of borking your Axe with a preset than you do with f/w).

I was able to restore the banks to the Axe Fx using the Editor. I'm going to try again today and see if slowing down the speed of the transfer helps.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Dave

Just an update...

I uninstalled and re-installed the M-audio interface drivers and changed the speed on the Bome's software as well with no luck. I still can't go from 7.18 to 8.02?

I can't be the only one having this problem.

Dave

I have the same interface and I could not get it to do firmware updates with regardless of which program I used. I ended up buying a Roland UM-2EX and it's worked perfectly. The $35 the interface cost was worth it.

CudBucket said:
Matt, What OS were you running? When I had the 2496 in an XP machine, it worked fine.
I'm running the latest version of XP with the latest drivers for the 2496.

I spent days trying out every variation in the chain (data transmission rate, different MIDI cables, different programs, etc) and nothing worked. Other folks have had bad luck using the 2496 for firmware updates too.

I have yet to manage to get 8.02 onto my Ultra with various midi devices, on my macbook pro. I've setup a loopback test using the techniques mentioned in the docs for MidiOX to test just my system without the AxeFx. I've been testing with both my Presonus Firebox and my MOTU midi express, both with the newest software. So far, I have yet to actually get a copy of the firmware to survive the loopback trip to and from my computer, there is always a size difference of up to about 16 bytes.

Basically, whether its the drivers or something in the protocol, MIDI sucks for huge sysex transfers.

For a MAC, I've been using sysex librarian. And the *dreaded* USB Uno. Works just fine.

I think initially I tweaked down the transfer level, but it's worked for 3 years without a glitch.

I think I tried it once with an XP box, and I had to boot the box with the MIDI cable attached, launch my transfer program, make sure it saw the interface. For some reason it HAD to be the first thing I did after rebooting...else it didn't work.

After all that, I had a fresh appreciation for Apple.

Well I ordered the Edirol UM-2EX for $29. We'll see how that works. I never had a problem with the 2496 under XP Pro. But I can't make it work with Vista. Different driver of course. I can update patches though. Just can't update the firmware.

Dave

electronpirate said:
For a MAC, I've been using sysex librarian. And the *dreaded* USB Uno. Works just fine.

Actually I meant SysEx libarian. Getting my MIDI utilities confused.

Well I got the Edirol UM-2EX yesterday for $29 from zzsounds.com. Free shipping. Works like a charm. I updated to 8.02 with Bome's.

Add the 2496 Audiophile as an interface that may not work under Vista 64.

Back
Top Bottom