Can't get sound via USB

I have a Dell XPS that I got this Jan.
I downloaded the TWO drivers for FM3 and installed both. There was a confusing message when installing the USB Audio Setup driver installation (disconnect/connect) but I seemed to work past it.
I can see the FM3 in both the input and output and set it to FM3 in both.
I CANNOT see a FM3 device in the sound mixer (not sure it should be). In fact, when I connect/disconnect the FM3 via USB, the "system audio" slider on the mixer disappears.
I did crank up my FM3 to see if it was getting any input and I did see that fully cranked, the output 1 audio clip light did show.
I restarted my computer.

I followed the instructions below from the user's guide for verifying the setup. I saw the USB IN 1L and 1R nearly pegged; the USB OUT showed activity, but at 1/3 of the level of input. Analog OUT increased with increasing OUT 1 volume.

"Whichever OS you are using, confirm that the FM3 is receiving audio during playback by viewing the Meters page
of the Home menu, where you should see meter activity on USB IN 1L and 1R. If you turn up the OUT 1 LEVEL
knob, you will also see meter activity on ANALOG OUT 1L and 1R and hear audio at the connected speakers."

Frustrated as all heck. Any help appreciated.

1) the audio on my computer, 2) the audio from my computer output to my monitor. I have a FX2 and I could always hear computer sounds along with guitar.

Thanks!
The monitor is connected to the FM3? Or is it connected to your computer?

The monitor is connected to the FM3? Or is it connected to your computer?
Connected to my computer. When I select an output other then FM3, I can hear youtube, etc. When I select FM3, I get no sound from any source. Confirmed input on the FM3.
Connected via USB cable to my laptop.
Computer communicates with AxeEdit.

Thanks,

n

Connected to my computer. When I select an output other then FM3, I can hear youtube, etc. When I select FM3, I get no sound from any source. Confirmed input on the FM3.
Connected via USB cable to my laptop.
Computer communicates with AxeEdit.

Thanks,

n
So there’s nothing connected to the FM3 output?

Connected to my computer. When I select an output other then FM3, I can hear youtube, etc. When I select FM3, I get no sound from any source. Confirmed input on the FM3
That’s probably the issue.

The guitar tone from the FM3 is designed to go out of the FM3 physical outputs. The USB signal is meant to go into a DAW for recording, not your computer speakers/output. This is how most - if not all - devices with USB work.

The normal setup here would be connect your monitors to the FM3 physical outputs. Then send your computer audio via USB to the FM3, and it would come through those speakers.

Generally speaking, the FM3 guitar tone via USB is not meant to be monitored directly. It’s not like an audio cable that just sends signal.

Maybe I'm missing something but if the FM3 is the OUTPUT then you need the FM3 output connected to something to hear it. Did you try headphones on the FM3?

Also check the USB Return Level settings... Assuming they are there as on the Axe Fx III.

That’s probably the issue.

The guitar tone from the FM3 is designed to go out of the FM3 physical outputs. The USB signal is meant to go into a DAW for recording, not your computer speakers/output. This is how most - if not all - devices with USB work.

The normal setup here would be connect your monitors to the FM3 physical outputs. Then send your computer audio via USB to the FM3, and it would come through those speakers.

Generally speaking, the FM3 guitar tone via USB is not meant to be monitored directly. It’s not like an audio cable that just sends signal.
I'll give that a try...its been a while since I've run my FX2 through a computer so I may have forgotten...Thanks!

SUCCESS! Thanks all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom