can't get s/pdif working with focusrite 18i/8

[edit]

It turns out with the focusrite control for Gen 3, it's really easy to switch the clock sync and sample rate. The gen 1 was painful but it's so trivial that I'm currently using the s/pdif but I have the analog inputs hooked up too...
That is what I do. I just leave the little settings app open and switch it when I need to.

Well, @frankencat, @GitGuy513 and others...Turns out I'm not going to be able to use s/pdif afterall. The 8i6 driver (or windows) has a bug where when it's in 48k/spdif clock mode, if I turn off my FM3, the audio interface stops working. (And note, I am not using the FM3 USB audio driver). I can restart it by switching to 44k and internal clock but it's a pain in the @ss to have to go back and forth between the two settings everytime I want to turn on and use the fm3 or turn it off. If i have it in 44k/internal mode and switch off the fm3 everything's fine. I think it must be trying to sync with the s/pdif clock and when the device is powered down the driver doesn't know how to handle it and stops responding to requests.

So sadly, after all the trials and tribulations and 2 new audio interfaces, i'm back to xlr inputs...

Ironically, the presonus 68c didn't have that issue although it had no way to monitor s/pdif through the user interface. Can't believe in 2022 we still have to deal with this !@#$
If I saw this earlier I could have turned you on to a simple utility for this very annoyance.
It's multi platform, just have to be running focusrite control somewhere on your network

Its crude, but functional with my 8i6 https://github.com/dounix/focusrite-autoclock
The logic is
If clock source set to spdif, and it's not locked, switch to internal clock
If clock is set to internal, and there is some level of signal on spdif in(likely with minor popping, due to mismatched clock), switch to spdif clock source.
Both of these switches take a few seconds when you turn on/off your axefx/other spdif device, but it's better than fiddling with menus every time.

If I saw this earlier I could have turned you on to a simple utility for this very annoyance.
It's multi platform, just have to be running focusrite control somewhere on your network

Its crude, but functional with my 8i6 https://github.com/dounix/focusrite-autoclock
The logic is
If clock source set to spdif, and it's not locked, switch to internal clock
If clock is set to internal, and there is some level of signal on spdif in(likely with minor popping, due to mismatched clock), switch to spdif clock source.
Both of these switches take a few seconds when you turn on/off your axefx/other spdif device, but it's better than fiddling with menus every time.

Thanks, i ended up upgrading to the gen 3 focusrite and it's working great.

Back
Top Bottom