Can't Get Processed Sound From Axe-Fx + iMac + Logic Pro X

webmaestro

Recently, I made a major switch. For years I recorded into a PC + Reaper (using the AFX as an interface), and recently I replaced those with a new iMac 27" + Logic Pro X.

My setup is very straightforward: Guitar -> Instrument (front) input of AFX -> AFX's USB out -> iMac 27"

(using headphones for monitoring)

I can NOT get the processed sound from my Axe-Fx to record in Logic. All I get is the raw DI track... regardless of whether I choose Input 1+2 or 3+4 for the track. Nothin' but DI.

After fussing with all the I/O settings--which I admit I don't fully understand--I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I feel like there's some insanely simple answer to this.

Just to make sure this wasn't solely due to my unfamiliarity with Logic, I fired-up Reaper (what I'd recorded with for years on my PC), and found that I have the same problem on this iMac. I can't get the processed signal to record, I only get DI... regardless of what inputs I choose for the track.

I've attached photos and screenshots of my current Axe I/O settings, as well as my Mac's audio settings and Logic's audio settings.

If any of you Mac and/or Logic Pro natives can spot what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. I'm worried that this is some kind of incompatibility with the Axe's USB 2.0 and the iMac's USB 3.0, but that sounds crazy to me, since USB 3.0 is backward compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• logic_1.png
    logic_1.png
    640.4 KB · Views: 16
  • logic_2.png
    logic_2.png
    627.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Mac_1.png
    Mac_1.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Mac_2.png
    Mac_2.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IO_1.jpg
    IO_1.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IO_2.jpg
    IO_2.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 16
DISREGARD

After a little more experimentation (mainly farting with my I/O settings), I got things working again. Perhaps simply writing about the problem somehow magically helped me help myself shrug

My problem was, since getting all this to work 5+ years ago, I never had to touch or really even look at any of those settings... so I was flying blind. To be honest, I'm still not sure why it's working now, but I must've happened on the magic Output 1/2 settings... because I can now get my processed signal on 1+2 and my DI on 3+4.

All is right with the world again.

DISREGARD

After a little more experimentation (mainly farting with my I/O settings), I got things working again. Perhaps simply writing about the problem somehow magically helped me help myself shrug

My problem was, since getting all this to work 5+ years ago, I never had to touch or really even look at any of those settings... so I was flying blind. To be honest, I'm still not sure why it's working now, but I must've happened on the magic Output 1/2 settings... because I can now get my processed signal on 1+2 and my DI on 3+4.

All is right with the world again.

Hey Maestro,
I'm having a similar problem when recording into Logic Pro X from my Fractal Axe-fx III via USB. The sound I hear through the Axe-fx via headphones is much clearer and has more depth than the sound I'm getting on my recordings.

Can you specify what I/O settings you wound up using?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom