Can't get good recording tones, what am I doing wrong?

that sounds pretty darn epic, imo

and nothing sounds good on pc speakers, dude...

Cheers! :) Any pointers on EQ-ing or mixing?
I keep telling myself it's the speakers... but Slipknot sounds good on them lol!

I've borrowed a Focusrite 2i2 today and used it for this recording. I wonder if it has helped... think I will remove it and record again using the Axe usb for comparison. Won't be investing in a 2i2 as it doesn't have enough outputs for re-amping (I dont think) so I'm glad I borrowed one to find that out...

drums sound a bit weak, to be honest. definitely needs more bass drum oomph and level. snare needs compressing and it needs more cymbals. this type of music isn't really in my manor though, so probably best to leave that kind of advice to others who are more au fait with the genre.

Reactions: mak
Appreciated. Was expecting drum comments - took about 30 secs to put the beat in so it can definitely be improved a lot - and as for the EQing.... I haven't a clue what I'm doing - there's a compressor on there but it's probably setup all wrong!!!

i find a good tip with compressors, is to choose a suitable preset, which will have good attack and release values and then adjust the threshold manually (the preset designers will have no idea how loud your input signal is). plenty of good resources on youtube about basic eq and compression techniques. if you're planning on recording an album, it's probably a good time to get some knowledge! :)

With Pro Tools 12 and Yorkville YSM5 monitors, should I just record directly with the Axe via USB, or should I get something like a Focusrite 2i2 (saw it in Misha's video)?

Here's recording just done via Axe USB

And the same via the Focusrite 2i2

I'm glad I've tried the 2i2 it has made me realise how useful it is to have an interface as I can use the monitors better. I won't be getting the 2i2 though as I don't think it has enough outputs to re-amp properly (I may be wrong on that, but check it out first if that's important to you).

I'm not sure I really need the interface for recording the guitar though... just to help with the monitors really so I may just get a cheaper mixing board.

When Steve and I were recording direct with the USB from the Axe, we plugged my monitors into the outs of the Axe, so I don't think you need an interface to use monitors. You'd only need it if you were recording vocals or like drums that require adding a mic or two. We did have to mute the track we were recording though because the monitors were connected to the axe and we were directly hearing the guitar from the axe and didn't need to hear it twice (from monitoring inside pro tools).

Your distortion is sounding better, but it might be that it's sitting in a mix. Could you post it without the bass/drums to compare with your original?

I have no idea about how to reamp, or how to set it up in my initial recordings to even make it possible to after the fact reamp, so any information on that would be helpful! and if anyone has tips on recording bass guitar with the axe or how they would suggest in going about recording bass guitar would be much appreciated!

When Steve and I were recording direct with the USB from the Axe, we plugged my monitors into the outs of the Axe, so I don't think you need an interface to use monitors
Sorry didn't explain myself properly I've always used the monitors via the Axe outputs as well but then I can't hear audio from other programs like media player, audacity, etc.

Your distortion is sounding better, but it might be that it's sitting in a mix. Could you post it without the bass/drums to compare with your original?
Sure - will post this soon

I have no idea about how to reamp, or how to set it up in my initial recordings to even make it possible to after the fact reamp, so any information on that would be helpful! and if anyone has tips on recording bass guitar with the axe or how they would suggest in going about recording bass guitar would be much appreciated!
I just put down a rough bass line it sounds horrible on its own... if you have a google on metal bass recording there's a few guides around to recording bass - they seem to suggest recording a basic drum line and then duplicating it in the DAW and adding awful amounts of distortion to it. I haven't tried that yet. I guess its similar to the trick of putting a compressed version of the drums mixed in with the "normal" drums.

Easiest way to re-amp ... connect Axe via USB. Select your input as stereo 3/4 and record your track (you can also record onto a separate track with stereo 1/2 which will have your distorted patch sound). The track recorded from input 3/4 will be dry. Using IO menu on Axe go to page 2 and select Input to be USB. Play your dry track back in the DAW and it will "re-amp" through the amp (so on a separate track now you can arm to record on 1/2 and that will record your new sound.) It's not the best way as you can't hear it in the mix "live" but it's the simplest way.

Sorry didn't explain myself properly I've always used the monitors via the Axe outputs as well but then I can't hear audio from other programs like media player, audacity, etc.
if you set the Axe as your audio device you can hear anything and everything through the Axe and your monitors.

Here's the patch
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67383390/ClkyBoostedMkIIC_Mak.syx

And just the guitars (stereo in via Axe USB cable into Reaper with no post processing. 2 tracks 100%L and 100%R)

Thanks! Did you find any difference recording the Axe directly via USB vs. going through the Focusrite 2i2? Or was it the exact same tonally? I was wondering if I should purchase a 2i2 (or 2i4) as well, but Will was saying that there's no difference. If it's the exact same I might as well save my money.

jlynnb1 is correct, we did it at Will's place. Set the Axe as the audio device in Pro Tools, then you can hear playback and click track etc. But then you hear 2 simultaneous tracks (direct from Axe to monitors + the playback from the DAW), so in order to avoid that, we just muted the tracks while recording.

The focus 2i2 converts the audio to 44.1 whilst the axe uses 48k. I haven't the best ears in the world and couldn't really spot a difference. I uploaded both the tracks so u can listen to the difference yourself (#88). Let me know if u want any more comparisons doing as I have the 2i2 until Monday. If I buy a focus rite it will be the 2i4 as it has 2 outputs so u can do live re-amp whilst listening to it in the mix.! U can't with the 2i2

The focus 2i2 converts the audio to 44.1 whilst the axe uses 48k. I haven't the best ears in the world and couldn't really spot a difference. I uploaded both the tracks so u can listen to the difference yourself (#88). Let me know if u want any more comparisons doing as I have the 2i2 until Monday. If I buy a focus rite it will be the 2i4 as it has 2 outputs so u can do live re-amp whilst listening to it in the mix.! U can't with the 2i2

I see. The Focusrite clip sounds better, but I think that's due to the better drums! You updated the drum kicks etc. in that clip. When I try to focus just on the guitar's tone, both clips sound identical.

Can't you re-amp while listening to it in the mix without a Focusrite? This dude seems to just be using the Axe-Fx II:

I'll upload them without drums tomorrow. Doesn't he just reamp without hearing the mix? Going from memory as can't watch just now

Ive been watching this thread creepily from behind the chair in the corner of the dark dusty room and I think you guys are really sounding great... huge improvements and lots of great advice given here :) Looking forward to the final results..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom