Can't get good recording tones, what am I doing wrong?

i would absolutely recommend making a new patch based on the old one. you've got lots of potential issues - stereo patch recorded as mono - new firmware (did you reset the amps?) - level issues - etc etc

so i would make a new patch with amp + cab + gate (if there's one in the original) - get the levels right and record two passes of the rhythm part and pan them hard left and right. if you can make 16 bars of bass and drums to go with it, you'll also have a much better understanding of how it'll all fits together. get a great sound to start with and then it'll only take a little eq and maybe some gentle compression to get a great sounding result.

forget about advanced parameters, low and high cuts and deep tweaking and all that. just use the basic amp controls and the three switches (cut, fat and bright) if you need to....and choose an appropriate IR for the job. it shouldn't take you more than 15 mins to dial in a great tone. if it's taking longer, then change the IR for a different one. if you still can't get it then change amps and start again.

downloading other people's patches is a seductive idea, but it can actually be a false economy, as you can spend longer trying to adapt the patch to your own style, guitar and playing than it would take to make a new patch from scratch. by all means check out other people's stuff...you'll learn loads...but don't assume you can drop someone's patch into your machine and it'll do the job....usually it won't. there are just too many variables.

What you need to realize is that recorded source tones (especially distorted guitars), are going to sound very far off from a finished track. Even more so without drums or bass to add the context of a mix.

As far as the volume difference between some presets, that can be attributed to the user's pickup selection. I'm assuming the ones you have are fairly high output?

Back off on the gain. You don't need a lot of gain when you layer stuff...
Also Cut low end. The bass takes care of that.
And try to cut high end.

Right now I have a setting on Global eq:
500 : + 1.45 Add
4000 : - 1-2 (ish) Cut
8000 : - 2-3 (ish) Cut
12000: - 5-7 (ish) Cut

You can cut 31 & 63 completly as an experiment too.

It depends on your guitar, of course.

I would also try different amps. Other amps may sound better in the mix. Don't get locked to only 1 or 2 amps.

I'll try and record this later today and upload the result for comparison.

There are some IRs for sale on that "Preset a day" site anyone know if they are any good? They are only $3!

Are there any plug in's in the set up? It sounds like there is a reverb on somewhere, but that could be a latency issue as well.

No. I think it might be the stereo/mono phase issue that some have mentioned.

Have you tried just mic'ing up your live set up ? If you have a tone you love , I say go with it

No. We did that with our first album. I bought the Axe partially so we don't have to do that anymore, and to save the band a bunch of money that would otherwise be spent using studio time. It's all good, I don't mind taking the time to learn how to properly record with the Axe. This time around our plan is to record guitars, bass and electric drums direct. Probably some studio time for vocals, then send it all off to get mastered.

I'll try and record this later today and upload the result for comparison.

There are some IRs for sale on that "Preset a day" site anyone know if they are any good? They are only $3!

Sounds good!

Hey guys, a little off topic. But, to make things easier (ie. less travelling w/ gear), I've decided to also purchase ProTools 12 and some home studio monitors. Do you guys recommend any monitors under $500 for my soon-to-be Axe-Fx dedicated home studio? We live in Canada, so $500 CAD is my budget for the pair.

So far, Will and I have been looking at:

Yorkville YSM5 ($180 CAD each - great reviews)
Yamaha HS5 ($229 CAD each - great reviews)

Anything else? What about brands like PreSonus, M-Audio, KRK, Alesis, Mackie, JBL, Adam? Do you suggest I buy new or second hand (if I can)?

For ProTools 12, this seems to be the cheapest we can find:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AVID-DIGIDESIGN-PRO-TOOLS-10-11-12-2-PROTOOLS-FULL-VERSION-FAST-DELIVERY-USED/281552704957?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140620091118&meid=33dfc682458044a7b17017d05cfb0d41&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=281372905180

It's used, but reputable 3bayer. No more Avid ilok transfers, but he will give account information. Will has an extra ilok 2 I will buy from him.

Looking to spend less than $1,000 overall.

edit: did some more looking on Long n McQuade's website. From my search there, these are in the running (from highest price to lowest, each):

Yorkville YSM6 --> 6.5 inch woofer / 65w / 50hz to 20khz / $250 each
Yamaha HS5 -----> 5 inch woofer / 70w / 54hz to 30khz / $229 each
JBL LSR305 ------> 5 inch woofer / 41w / 43hz to 24khz / $220 each
PreSonus Eris E5 ---> 5.25 inch / 70w / 53hz to 22khz / $199 each
KRK Rokit G3 RP5 --> 5 inch / 50w / 45hz to 35khz / $199 each
Yorkville YSM5 ------> 5 inch / 55w / 52hz to 20khz / $180 each

Anyone have experience with these?

Last edited:
It's a bit frustrating because we have top of the line equipment more or less.

I see one explanation, your guitar neck doesn't reflect much high freqs and probably too much mids/lowmids. Maybe the wood and craftmanship are flawless, but like most guitars, its resonant properties are bad... You need to balance your guitar before the amp and pedals. PEQs are welcome...

everything is panned centre, so you may be getting some phase cancellation. do another mix of that test track, but pan two of the rhythm guitars hard left and right and the other two about 50% left and right. it will sound massively different. post the result.

Steve didn't come to my home studio tonight so I don't have the Axe to test any other stuff, but I did an export as you suggested:

ORIGINAL from first page:

4Tracks - 2 of the hard panned left and right, other 2 are 50% panned left and right:

2Tracks - Hard panned left and right:

Preset sample recording from Silent Underground Studios that we are trying to match:

Steve didn't come to my home studio tonight so I don't have the Axe to test any other stuff, but I did an export as you suggested:

ORIGINAL from first page:

4Tracks - 2 of the hard panned left and right, other 2 are 50% panned left and right:

2Tracks - Hard panned left and right:

Preset sample recording from Silent Underground Studios that we are trying to match:

are you cutting a lot of highs in the preset somehow?

the comparison clip also seems to have cut some 400 or 250 or something around there compared to your clips. (i could be way off with those frequencies, but that's my gut reaction hearing all this for the first time.)

We didn't adjust any EQs in the preset, so no I don't think we are cutting any highs in the preset. Maybe the updated firmware is messing with it. It was installed, then the volume was lowered because of it clipping and then we recorded those tracks.

We didn't adjust any EQs in the preset, so no I don't think we are cutting any highs in the preset. Maybe the updated firmware is messing with it. It was installed, then the volume was lowered because of it clipping and then we recorded those tracks.
i just looked through the thread - are you talking about the preset Uber whatever from February?

there is no guarantee that a preset that old will sound "good" or the same as something with current firmware. there have been so many changes - and that is a GOOD thing. i wonder if using that old preset is the very thing limiting you.

whatever you recorded, there are less highs and more low mids than the demo recording, which can contribute to a "less pro" sound no matter what instrument when compared.

if you are using a different preset, let us/me know, but have you tried a preset from scratch? there are tons of great sounds at default settings, or just tweaks to the basic Bass, Mid, Treb, etc.

We haven't had a chance yet to sit down again with the axe and try out some suggestions from this thread such as creating one from scratch, but I did get a chance tonight to mess around with what was already recorded from a few days ago. Here's the 4 track recording with the various pans that I posted above, but with some added drums:

There was no EQ/Mastering done, just some rough volume level mixing and a 3db limiter boost using a Maxim plugin.

the difference in tone you're hearing is more than likely down to the change in firmware. you can tone match the original, or just dial it in better. there's much more top end in the original. do you have any idea what cab ir was used? you'll need to find out....otherwise tone match it and you won't need to worry.

Hey guys, a little off topic. But, to make things easier (ie. less travelling w/ gear), I've decided to also purchase ProTools 12 and some home studio monitors. Do you guys recommend any monitors under $500 for my soon-to-be Axe-Fx dedicated home studio? We live in Canada, so $500 CAD is my budget for the pair.

So far, Will and I have been looking at:

Yorkville YSM5 ($180 CAD each - great reviews)
Yamaha HS5 ($229 CAD each - great reviews)

Anything else? What about brands like PreSonus, M-Audio, KRK, Alesis, Mackie, JBL, Adam? Do you suggest I buy new or second hand (if I can)?

For ProTools 12, this seems to be the cheapest we can find:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AVID-DIGIDESIGN-PRO-TOOLS-10-11-12-2-PROTOOLS-FULL-VERSION-FAST-DELIVERY-USED/281552704957?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140620091118&meid=33dfc682458044a7b17017d05cfb0d41&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=281372905180

It's used, but reputable 3bayer. No more Avid ilok transfers, but he will give account information. Will has an extra ilok 2 I will buy from him.

Looking to spend less than $1,000 overall.

edit: did some more looking on Long n McQuade's website. From my search there, these are in the running (from highest price to lowest, each):

Yorkville YSM6 --> 6.5 inch woofer / 65w / 50hz to 20khz / $250 each
Yamaha HS5 -----> 5 inch woofer / 70w / 54hz to 30khz / $229 each
JBL LSR305 ------> 5 inch woofer / 41w / 43hz to 24khz / $220 each
PreSonus Eris E5 ---> 5.25 inch / 70w / 53hz to 22khz / $199 each
KRK Rokit G3 RP5 --> 5 inch / 50w / 45hz to 35khz / $199 each
Yorkville YSM5 ------> 5 inch / 55w / 52hz to 20khz / $180 each

Anyone have experience with these?

I have the Pesonus Eris E5 monitors. They are a great bang for the buck. Tried them out against higher priced monitors of the same size and these sounded best to me. They are plenty loud for jaming in a room or mixing tracks. Listening to songs you are familiar with, they sound way fuller and more defined than the other monitors I tried the day I got these. After demoing them, I purchased from eBay for a set with ISO pads for $249 shipped.

all these recordings sound so phasey....can you just try to record one amp into one cab, dial it in like you want, then record 2-4 different takes and pan them the suggested ways?

i know, that was my thought as well...they all sound phasey and like there's some really weird reverb on them...no idea what's going on!

Thanks for helping guys - perhaps its the preset as it has 2 amps in it?

Heres one with different IR

Here's just the recto amp with drive and cab - everything else disabled

Last edited:
what else is in the grid? the single amp+cab sounds punchier (too much gain though, imo - it might sound a little better with a lower MV setting if you're running it above 4)

the only thing i can think of that would alter phase is running two cabs with different motor drive values, or different dephase values, or using the enhancer. using two different amps shouldn't make it sounds worse (it should sound better, if anything)

Back
Top Bottom