Can't get a great tone

If you didn't like the AF2 why would you think it's little brother would be better? The amps are the same between the AF2 and AX8. With all the modeling and non-modeling choices at the AF2 price point the world is your oyster.

I was going to ask the a similar question. 2 years of the Xl+ and not happy? Unless he means he tried converting his XL+ presets to the AX8 and isn't happy. Curious?

Even though you reset your settings, it's worth a check that in the Global Setup menu, Cab and Power Amp modeling are turned on.

Also worth changing your strings. ;-)

I find my AX8 absolutely blissful every time I turn it on, and at home I have to practice through Rokit 5s (which are by no means "terrible" - just not truthful).

Post a recording and a preset.

If you didn't like the AF2 why would you think it's little brother would be better? The amps are the same between the AF2 and AX8. With all the modeling and non-modeling choices at the AF2 price point the world is your oyster.

Sorry, I didn't explain properly. I was happy with my tones for the most part, I had a few presets that I really liked however I didn't bother to transfer them as I figured a fresh start with a new product on a much newer firmware would be better. At first I was very happy, it's just listening to various demos on YouTube and hearing other people at live shows that's made me realise that I'm really not tapping into the units potential!

Plus, I know full well it's error on my part and I'm aware of what amazing sounds these units can produce, so I really want to learn as much as I can about it and try everything

Last edited:
Here is a patch I threw together and this is the type of tone I'm aiming for -

10:50 for the tone

He says he's using a clean amp and a Cameron CCV, I'm aware that the AX8 can only run one amp at once so for making a lead tone I've used the Cameron CCV 2C model with a factory Recto 4x12. While I'm fully aware that this sounds nothing like the video I've referenced, it's the best I'm able to get. I feel like I'm using too much gain but I really hate the sound without the drive pedal as it just gets fizzy and weak, regardless of how much I mess with the amp EQ, gain and master volume

Attachments

• Cameron Lead.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
Try to record your preset the same way as in the video above(i.e. the mic is far from the monitors) and you'll be surprised how good it sounds :)

Here is a patch I threw together and this is the type of tone I'm aiming for -

10:50 for the tone

He says he's using a clean amp and a Cameron CCV, I'm aware that the AX8 can only run one amp at once so for making a lead tone I've used the Cameron CCV 2C model with a factory Recto 4x12. While I'm fully aware that this sounds nothing like the video I've referenced, it's the best I'm able to get. I feel like I'm using too much gain but I really hate the sound without the drive pedal as it just gets fizzy and weak, regardless of how much I mess with the amp EQ, gain and master volume

Tough to tell on this vid. His strings are as loud as the Axe. Seems to be a pretty straight forward tone. I'll download your patch and give it a go.

any demo where you can hear the strings and the pick attack on the mic is an immediate turnoff and is very misleading tone-wise.

All is good now guys! Turns out I was just majorly over complicating my presets. Sticking with Amp, Cab and Reverb I've had some really nice results, especially when researching about the amps in Yeks guide and experimenting with the master volume.

Glad you got it sorted out mate! With the release of Kracken, wait sorry Quantum firmware, a lot of "legacy" approaches all with good intentions did not necessarily translate IME.

In other words there are still users here who add a COMP, PEQ, FLTR, and generic routing principles from previous "workarounds" to arrive at an ideal preset. FAS developed Q1+ with simplicity in mind (personal opinion of course). Amp + Cab + Reverb in a simple signal chain makes routing and sonic bliss more quickly achievable. This has been the best part of Quantum IMO because it enables users to hear the amps in their desired states more quickly without heavy modification of the signal chain in a preset.

Again, glad you arrived to sonic bliss. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom