Can't get a good chorus sound with distortion

Chiguete

Experienced
So I've never had much success in getting a good chorus with distortion. I'm basically looking for 2 types of tones:

a) a subtle chorus like maiden used in Somewhere In Time
b) a more obvious chorus concentrating on the higher pitch detune like the one on You Got Another Thing Comin where the wet signal is what you mainly hear without any warble or rate

Any tips.

It would help a lot if you can give us a recording of where you are at now or at least a screan shot of your preset.
Is your chorus after your amp?

I believe Maiden were using Gallien Kruger Amps at that time. The GK has a unique chorus and echo that i likewise have not been able to duplicate. I was even considering modding one of my RK100s to place the chorus/echo in a stomp box.

It would help a lot if you can give us a recording of where you are at now or at least a screan shot of your preset.
Is your chorus after your amp?
I don't have nothing done now, just tried it quickly and didn't worked.

I believe Maiden were using Gallien Kruger Amps at that time. The GK has a unique chorus and echo that i likewise have not been able to duplicate. I was even considering modding one of my RK100s to place the chorus/echo in a stomp box.
Yep they used the GK 250ML so I would imagine they also used their chorus... so has anyone tried to emulate it? Maybe it's time for Fractal to add this to the amp list and also do a separate chorus "pedal" for it to be added to other amps.

For the Maiden tone, Try a chorus with low mix and low rate put the chorus block after the amp.

There will be slightly different setting probably. But both have a chorus with light mix and low rate. We can't really fine tune them without having a recording of where you are now. Do you have a setup where you can record?
Also worth noting is that the recordings of those songs have double or more tracking and a lot of the tone you're hearing is the combination of two guitars.

How are you monitoring? Without a lot of seperation, the chorus FX is not going to be as wet sounding as a multi-track recording.

This might be completely out of the left field as I was never a huge fan of chorus in general, but recently I used Quad Chorus block and I was quite impressed with how smooth it sounds even with just the default settings. Even with distortion it sounds good. But I have the mix around like 8-10 percent. :)

Oh, I have AFX II, and I have no idea if AX8 actually has that Quad chorus. If not, then I apologize for useless post. :)

The best chorus effect I've found in the Axe-Fx doesn't actually come from the Chorus block.

Pitch block after Amp block. Set to detune. Pan each voice hard, one left and the other right. Set voice 1 to +8ct and the other to -8ct. Mix to taste.
Basically, Van Halen's Balance effect.

You get an amazing chorus effect that doesn't oscillate. Sounds incredible with distortion. It even sounds good when collapsed to mono.

The best chorus effect I've found in the Axe-Fx doesn't actually come from the Chorus block.

Pitch block after Amp block. Set to detune. Pan each voice hard, one left and the other right. Set voice 1 to +8ct and the other to -8ct. Mix to taste.
Basically, Van Halen's Balance effect.

You get an amazing chorus effect that doesn't oscillate. Sounds incredible with distortion. It even sounds good when collapsed to mono.
How much do you set the mix?

For cleans, I like the Dimension 1 with stock settings and the mix turned down to about 20-25%.

For distortion, I use the pitch block with left signal -9 cents and right +9. I set the mix until it sounds about right, usually in the 20-30% range I think.

Back
Top Bottom