Can't fix this ice-pick sound...

mrtheedge2u

Inspired
Hey guys. I've tried just about everything I can think of. I attached the preset here and included an audio sample. I am using a Fender Strat, pickup position 4 (quack), and when you strike a D string, you'll hear these ice-picky overtones coming from the amp. I've gone through every setting I can think of and no luck. I'm trying to eliminate those ice sounding overtones. When I mess with the harmonics in the preamp section, and move it all the way to the max, it removes some but i lose all of the tone.

Note, the cab I have is from a cab pack. So use the Two 12 Blue in replacement. The cab doesn't affect this problem, fyi. Its definitely the amp.

Attachments

• Ice pick sound overton.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
Strats are really sensitive to string buzz. I always end up with really high action on my single coil guitars to avoid the "ice pick" problem. Humbuckers are (generally) not as good at picking up high frequencies, so all the high harmonics that string buzz creates get filtered out to an extent.

changed the nut to an LSR Roller Nut on all my Stat style guitars they seem to get my action lower with no fret string buzzzzzz............especially if you got a whammy situation goin on................

the nut slot is most likely cut too low. The slot will either need to be filled and recut, or the whole nut shimmed up a touch if it's on more than one string. If you press a straight edge against the first few frets and butt it up against the edge of the nut (parallel to the neck), the nut slots should never extend below the bottom of the straight edge (should not extend below the plane of the top of the frets). Usually, it is a few thousandth of an inch higher. If it's too high though, your low fret action will be stiffer (harder to press chords) and low fret notes will often go sharp when fretting due to the extra pressure required. It's a balance between playing comfort and getting buzzes.

Fret the string at the 3rd fret and check for a tiny amount of clearance (like a single sheet of paper) between the bottom of the string and the top of the 1st fret. If there's adequate clearance, then it's also possible that the nut slot is cut too flat in line with the string and is not properly angled toward the tuning pegs. The front edge of the nut slot should be the highest point, otherwise the take off point will be behind the front edge of the nut and it will buzz there.

I'm going to go hide in my hole now under a rock ha!! Thanks gents. I feel stupid
We've all been there a thousand times, brother. Why just this morning I went to the trouble of running stereo into the PA instead of mono. I have a really cool sounding patch with a Dual Rectifier on one side and a Peavey 61xx something or another on the other side. The amps must process the sound slightly out of phase from each other because the stereo spread is huge if you pan them hard left/right (I only go 9:00 and 3:00). Anyway, after all the trouble of making the patch and talking our sound guy into trying it, I forgot to set the Aviom up to listen to both channels. Doh! Oh well, the sound guy said it sounded great.

Appreciate all the help gents. I think the funniest is that Cliff listened to that clip and 2 min later had the solution. And it was user error on the setup lol. Thats an amazing talent to hear that. Thanks Cliff, and others for your help.

That's why many of us trust Cliff's ears, very few are born with golden ears.

I will give that a try thanks. However, when I disable the cab block altogether, and leave just the amp on, I still hear it clear as day. Appreciate the help!

I play Strats and teles only. Been here a while. One thing I go to is the Hi Res in the speaker tab. I immediately go to the speaker tab and lower the hi res to 2.52. Default was 2.52 way. way back in years. May not be the answer for everyone or anyone but me. But I have maple fretboards on all guitars and very low action and this always helps me....by itself or as a starting point. I made a recording years ago and it sounded much like yours, but without all the FX.
I really don't have to do this as much anymore but I still do from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom