Bug? Can't firmware update, stuck with ERROR 14

James.Jeffery

So title says most of my problem. I've owned an axe-fx standard for a long time. It crapped out, but I didn't have the money to get a new axe-fx. Fast forward a few years, and I just received an axe-FX II XL. So I'm trying to update my MFC to the newest firmware. It's an original 101, and I'm not sure which firmware was on it.

So I tried updating with fractal-bot, through the Axe-FX II, and I keep getting the ERROR 14 message. The closest I've got finishing the update is 70%. I've played around with the MIDI buffer delay. I can get it down to 120ms, which is the setting that I got the farthest with the update. After that, it doesn't sync anymore.

The axe fx is plugged in to a USB 3.0 on my computer. I've plugged the midi out from the axe-fx to the midi in on the MFC. Power is coming from the ethercon connection into the expansion slot on the original MFC.

Anyone have any suggestions that I can try to get this thing to work?

Is there any way to hard reset the the original factory settings? I'm kinda stuck with this error 14 right now.

I think Fractal does not recommend powering with the Ethernet cable for updates. Maybe try unhooking the cable and power with the power supply? Can you get it to power op at all to get to settings? seems like you have to change the settings in mfc to midi to get the update to go through. and in the axe fx you have to have midi adapter on in the I/O menu I think.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried both plugging in to a USB 2.0 jack and using the power supply. I only get as far as 50%. Is there a way to bypass the error 14 message so that I can make the changes in the settings of the MFC?

Ok Fixed. But I had to go and buy a USB audio interface in order for me to get the firmware to download all the way. I specifically bought a zoom UAC-2 usb audio interface, as it is a USB 3.0. I'm sure there's other USB3.0 interfaces out there, but this was the only one at my local music shop. With the interface, I was able to get the delay down to 90ms which downloaded the firmware to completion.

The weird thing is that the MIDI included in the AXE-FX II XL+ would stop talking with my specific MFC-101 (Mark 1), when I went under 120ms buffer delay. Not sure why. But with the USB interface I was able to keep it communicating under 120ms buffer delay.

Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions. I hope this may help someone else in my situation.

That's a weird symptom, but I'm glad you have a working solution. I had a couple of MIDI cables give me trouble in my studio this year. I bought them from different manufacturers, and at different dates. I was having trouble with one, and I swapped it out for the other, assuming that would eliminate the cable as a variable. After days of swearing and experimenting and reconfiguring, I finally tried another cable and discovered that BOTH of the other cables were problematic! Of course, had I bothered using my cable tester, I could have found this problem immediately. But where's the fun in that? :)

Back
Top Bottom