Can't decide what rack case to order

SOAWM

Inspired
A couple of days ago I received my Axe Fx II and while it looks very pretty on my desk, I want to make sure that it's well protected. Buying a case shouldn't be that difficult, but since I'm not sure whether I will go FRFR or Power Amp/cab, I'm not sure how many units I'll need. I'm not even sure yet whether I will sell all my analogue gear, in order to use the Axe live and on rehearsals...

Portability is one of the biggest concerns since I'll have to lug the Axe to and from our rehearsals every week. My initial idea was to use the Axe only at home, but since I'm so impressed, I'm thinking of using it as my main amp. So I'm sure I'll go for a plastic molded case.

The biggest question is: how many units? I'm thinking of buying a Matrix 1U power amp, so I can run my Axe through my Laboga 412 (V30). Next to the Matrix, I'll also build in my wireless Line 6 XDS-PLUS receiver (similar to G50). The wireless doesn't take up a whole unit-space, so I was thinking of buying a 3U case and hoping that the I'll have enough space in the back for my wireless and a power supply.

Since weight and size is very important to me, would the 3U be doable or is a 4U a much better choice? The 4U would enable me to make or order a custom panel with in's and out's.

All ideas and opinions are more than welcome! ;)

Since you're just looking for opinions, I'll give mine....
If you are going to buy a plastic molded case, then go with the 4 space. There is barely any weight difference if it's plastic molded case, and I always like room to grow.
Having the 4 space allows you the possiblity of mounting a Matrix 1U along with a power conditioner (which I feel is a very important piece to add to protect your Axe).
You could either put your wireless in that 4th space (if you don't get the Matrix), or mount it in the back somehow, like you mentioned.
And of course if you don't get the Matrix 1U, you can also use that space for the custom panel in/outs (and again put your wireless in the back).

Thanks for the fast reply! I've read some mixed opinions about power conditioners with the Axe-Fx, so I'll have to research that topic a little more. Since I'm trying to go for ultra portability, a power conditioner would add another 3kg to the total weight...

You might also think about leaving an extra rack space for a patch panel. Reaching around the back of the rack can cause dramatic mistakes. A number of people have fried the Cat 5 MFC interface by mistakenly plugging in a USB cable. Having a front patch panel eliminates the need to go poking around in a dark rack case while trying to set up for a gig.

I'd pick up a used 4space on CL or eBay to start, so you can flip it with no cost if/when you decide to change sizes.

I'm using a 12sp, but I have a 3sp drawer I place my MFC-101 and expression pedals in. I have a power conditioner, two wireless units and two rack mount keyboards as well.

The smallest I could ever go is 8 spaces if I eliminate the keyboards, but then I have to carry them in yet another case.

When you are unsure, go used IMO.

I will be going to a 4U from a 6U, which for me turned out to be almost unbearable and too unergonomic regarding size.

Gator racks have mounting strips on the back too, so yes, you can put extra stuff there, esp. since the Matrix is not so deep.

But in these limited height cases, I usually stick my power strip on the back against the top, so the 4U is also welcome to have some room to connect stuff.
I also want the space for a 2U GT1000FX maybe one day.

AFAIK, Cliff has said you don't really need the conditioners.

Thanks for all the responses! Like I stated before: portability is my number one issue. The Axe is all I use at home, so when I decide to use it live and at rehearsals aswel, I'll be carrying it around a lot. So I want to keep the weight down to the bare minimum. So I'll I want in the rack are the Axe, a Matrix and my wireless unit and maybe a little patchbay.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the difference in size/weight between 3U and 4U?

Whenever I need other gear at shows, like midi keyboards, laptop, footcontroller,... I wil provide another case for that sole purpose. The Axe will be the core of my rig and will follow me wherever I go.

I'd say 2" and 1lb, but of course you can check on the SKB website for exact info.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the difference in size/weight between 3U and 4U?

If you really really don't need more than the Axe, Matrix, and wireless unit, I'd go with the 3U and mount the wireless in the back with the ability to stick the antennas up when the rear panel is off. 4U is great and everything but for absolute portability, it can be a pain. It's just awkward enough to not fit in footwells or on seats. Less width means you can carry it with a handle without it knocking your legs as much as a 4U would (try to get one with wheels and telescoping handle anyway).

If you need to add a rack mounted power strip, get the shallowest one possible and a case with rear rails.... however, it will be tight fit in 3U unless you mount it behind the matrix. I'm not sure you really want to do that though b/c you would obstruct the airflow of the two fans in the matrix. You could mount it behind the axe but you may need a deeper case.

Lastly, for better portability (and debatably less shock protection), get either a 3U bag or non-plastic case. The plastic cases tend to add height and width for structural purposes.

PS there's a Matrix 1000FX 1U so if you wanted the power, you could get that instead of the 800. The 1000FX 2U I assume isn't for you due to portability although I assume it's quieter :0).

I really don't need more than Axe, Matrix and wireless. If it turns out I need more equipment in the future, I'll provide a separate rack for that purpose. I think I won't go for a rack with wheels, because those mostly have pretty small wheels and I don't trust the shocks and vibration of rolling them on the street.

If I'd go for a 3U rack, I'd probably buy: Gator GR-3S - Thomann Belgian Cyberstore
This case is 360mm deep, so it would fit the Axe by a hair. Does anyone have experience with this case and the Axe II? I do have some solderless Lava Cables left, would they be small enough to keep the Axe and Matrix connected all the time?

If I'd go for a 4U rack, I'd probably buy: either the same Gator rack (360mm) in 4u OR SKB R4-4 HE Rack - Thomann Belgian Cyberstore

The SKB looks sexy as hell (total black) and should be sturdier that their standard models.

Any tips between those choices?

I thing rack mounts on both sides are very welcome. The SKB might not have it (my old one hasn't).
OTOH, the Gator has the cheapier look and the stinkier plastic. It also has the lid connections on the case.
I prefer my old SKB where all that stuff is on the lids so I don't hurt myself on it or it's rattling to the beat :)
"In the studio" they are nice wire hangers though.

Are you accounting for xlr and 1/4" plugs and wires protruding out the back of the Axe in your depth? If not you are rewiring every use.

Are you accounting for xlr and 1/4" plugs and wires protruding out the back of the Axe in your depth? If not you are rewiring every use.

You may be right, 360mm will be to narrow to leave any cables plugged in. The 4U SKB is 438,2mm from rail to rail, so I guess that's a better solution.

4U will be less portable but leaves me with enough room for a patchbay, a power socket with two or 3 outlets and my wireless.

I use the Gator gr-4s (four space/shallow) with the Axe FX II and it works great. I have a 3s too and tried it but it just felt too crampt in the back if I ever wanted to move any cables etc on the wireless devices I have in there (guitar reciever and in-ear transmitter).

The other advantage of the 4s, is if you can leave your cat-5 cable plugged into the back of the Axe FX and just coil it and there is plenty of room to stow it in the back of the rack and even other such cables such as a power cable. The 3 space one was just a little too crampt for me in that regard.

For power I use a Furman SS-6B velcro'd to the bottom of the rack case. Basically a glorified power strip with an EMI/RFI filter. Works great for me and the 4 space rack means I can tuck the 15' power cord in the back which makes for convenience. Then I have the Axe FX at the top, the wireless stuff on a tray at the bottom and an empty space with a blank panel in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom