can't decide between jackson and ibanez

[ot start]
we all tend to emulate our heroes so as guitarists so it's only normal we try and use the same gear as our favorite players.
we also seek the same tones: just see how people get all excited when eddie's tones are discussed.
for myself, i am such a huge steve morse fan that till now, my 5-expression-pedal pedalboard still reflects that.
there was point in time i even tried holding my pick and arcing my hand the way he did.. damn hell nearly twisted my hand off!:lol
[ot end]
the real reason i was first drawn to the jackson was simply to complete my set.
i have a charvel wildcard and a gj2 so figured a jackson would round off the collection nicely.
pretty shallow reason...but there it is :-|

QED then ..... Jackson it should be

I've 'bonded' with mine now ..... time to change the strings and curse a lot because I have the feeling I have to remove the neck to access the truss rod end ..... never had to do this before on any other guitar I've owned so it's not likely to be a joyous experience. (Any tips on this gratefully received - the Floyd Rose is going to play havoc in this process!)

(Any tips on this gratefully received - the Floyd Rose is going to play havoc in this process!)
Try changing the 2 E strings first (one at a time, with all pairs). Then, the A and B strings. Then, the D and G. Tuning every pair, with each step. This will keep the stress forces the same, vertically on the neck. Remember "outside to inside". Ray Gomez showed me this. Works great for regular everyday tuning too. Good luck.:encouragement:

Cheers. :encouragement:

I guess I can just leave the strings loosened but still attached when taking the neck off ...... and actually I've just remembered I have a tremol-no I can steal from another guitar of mine - so that will keep the bridge locked and level

If it's like some of the older Strats, you don't have to take the neck all the way off. Just loosen the strings, loosen the neck screws, and tilt the neck back to get access to the truss rod nut.

First- A Satriani isn't what I'd consider a super strat

and second-
I'm going to reiterate my point from my previous post
if you are considering getting a JS model guitar

you are abosolutely crazy for consdering an Indonesian made one for $800

for $600-800 you can get the J-Craft/Pretige/Custom Shop JS1000 used- which is a $2400+ new guitar.

so you can get a $2400 guitar for $800 used
or a $300 guitar new for $800

The JS1000, is the biggest steal in used guitars out there

I wouldn't call $799 an "inexpensive super strat" you can get a real USA Fender for that

There's plenty of used jacksons that used to be $2000-3000 that go for $500 today

ermm..
well this is sort of embarrassing.:eek:ops
after all the advice, this came home with me
N24_zpsczwjaox3.jpeg

i guess when in doubt, go nuno...

I have a Washburn guitar, very solid. I blocked the Floyd rose term as we do a lot of tuning altering between songs plus I think blocking them makes them sound better. You have a nice guitar now, I wonder how it sounds.

a little late but it's here...
sdx2_zpsm8y6etxw.jpg

a short review:
pros
- great feeling neck
- rolled fretboard edge
- nicely finished fret ends
cons
- weak single coils and nondescript humbucker (replaced with dimarzio virtual vintage, injector and virtual paf)
- pinging at nut when tuning (before locking down) causing the b and high e strings to be a pain to tune... one moment it would be flat and suddenly sharp after the "ping"
tweaking done
- bringing the floyd down to lower the string action
- shimmed low e, a and d saddles on the floyd to raise action of lower strings while keeping the floyd base plate level (i.e. both pivot posts at same height off the body)
future tweaking considered
- block trem to install d-tuna

If you love the Jackson, then a Charvel So-Cal should be in your sights. Those are amazing guitars....

after a couple of weeks with the sdx, the only other tweaking was sanding off a bit under the nut to bring the string height at the nut down a smidgen.
must say it really is a bang-for-the-buck guitar.
was so impressed with it, i had wanted to get another just for an Eb tuning ala evh.
ended up with the rosewood version which came perfectly set up.
am surprise these inexpensive jacksons are not mentioned more often.

If you love the Jackson, then a Charvel So-Cal should be in your sights. Those are amazing guitars....
don't have a so-cal but a wildcard#7 which is another great guitar!

for now, these are my charvel jackson collection:
charvel_jacksons_zpsoml1qudo.jpg

I once had this choice back in 99, but I don't know if the two guitars were in the same league !
I was hesitating between an used jackson dinky ex and an stock ibanez (RG ?), but I always hated ibanez HSH an HSS superstrats, I tried from the "plastic" series to the satriani/vai models.
Preferred shred necks, jackson head.

But I assume I hated all the mics I heard, the two brands were squishy or harsh.

I bought from a luthier a second hand jackson dinky ex and made him install a full EMG set :)
The neck is nearly as cool as my petrucci's.
It's a japanese guitar. I gigged 5 years on black metal scenes with it, with a smile on my face (except for string changing, or breaking+changing live, because of the floyd)

Fun fact :
At the end of my "career" one of the main floyd screw obliterated the wood between it and the mic, dead body.
I kept it like that, electronics suffered too (it was all soldered...for emg...).
I took my first electric, a washburn lyon strat, sawed it like a nobrainer, dremeling, and fitted the jackson neck on the washburn body.
Then I bought a solderless kit and rewired the EMGs, mounted the plate on the body.

I'm not a powered mic fan anymore, but damn this frankenguitar is ugly but rocks ! And I got rid of this f**** floyd :D
I'm thinking of how to get a more beautiful finish on the body/plate.

Sorry for the out of topic story, but since the main topic seems to be cleared, hope you liked it ^^

Back
Top Bottom