can't decide between jackson and ibanez

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
am looking to get an inexpensive superstrat.
was ready to spring for a jackson adrian smith sdx when i realised that ibanez had recently released a cheaper version of satriani's 24-fret signature: js140.
have been a big fan of joe for many years now so the js140 is very enticing despite the jackson feeling better in my hands (am mainly a strat person)..
sigh, me and my 1st world problems..

1. My #1 thing I hate about Jacksons- is you can't tell the difference between a $200 one and $2000
I know guitars and still can't tell

2. These are both relatively NEW guitars, not vintage/old or more than a few years old... in that case

3. I have not seen anything come from Jackson not junk made overseas (since fender took over)

4. I think the Jackson you mentioned is made in India- I've seen the worst guitars (Squier and Jackson) come out of India (Vietnam is equally awful)

5. I like Ibanez- wasn't aware of that satirani model.

6. the newist/24 fret js models keep their value pretty well

7. So hands down get the ibanez

8. however- if you're willing to spend $799 on one of those guitars new- for $600-800 you can buy a used JS1000, a well made $2400 guitar used for that price easy-

it will always be worth what you pay for it - you won't get 24 frets- but you'll get a better built instrument than anything in this range

i think js1000's and universes going for $600-800 is the biggest steal in the guitar world today

I recently got the Jackson Adrian Smith sdx - just as a cheap FR equipped 22 fret thing I can modify. My preference is 22 fret guitars and HSS format so thats another reason it fitted my needs.

The older models were made in India - but these latest ones have been moved to Indonesia. I can't see any build issues and I like the maple fretboard

The stock pickups and pots are meh and need replaced.... but I'd expect that on a guitar this cheap

The neck has a nice feel though which is why I bought it. I'm not a great fan of any of the Ibanez necks I've played - though I can't comment on the JS model as I've never picked one of those up

thanks for giving something to think about guys...
both of these are now from indonesia.
i have no qualms since my indonesian adndy timmons at10p is close to flawless, and on first inspection, both of these seemed to have no visible quality issues.
the neck on the jackson, with its compound radius and rolled edges felt great.
it's cheaper too but darn it, my heart keeps pining for the ibanez since i laid eyes on it.
anyhoo, here are vids of each:

+1

The cheaper import models generally will not have the same feel as their big brothers so actually getting your hands on one first is highly advised

One thing I could gripe about on the Jackson is the truss rod access - I haven't actually looked for it yet as the neck set up and action was fine when I got it .... but it looks like the whole scratch plate needs removed to get access to it - so not exactly a quick and easy tweak! I'm just hoping the neck end is visible once the scratch plate is off and it's not a complete neck off job!

I'm still on the original factory strings (9s) and just using them to break in/polish the frets so to speak - but will likely change to 10s - so I'll be looking for the truss rod around then I reckon.

I got my Adrian smith sdx off craigslist for $300. I have an Ibanez '89 rg570 and a rg2570 prestige and they are really nice but I always pick the Jackson over them to play. I blocked the floyd rose so it only goes down and I put on a D-tuna and I love it. I think it comes new with 9guage strings but when I bought mine it had 10s on it and I kept it at 10s because its so comfortable. I've heard of some people getting crappy versions of this guitar so I would definitely wanna play it before I bought it.

Those are two VERY different guitars.

The JS140 has the JS neck profile (rounded and thicker on bass side) and 240mm/9.44" fretboard radius. The Jackson has the "speed neck" profile, which is a thin D and a 12" - 16" radius fretboard. If you can't play them first, it's a crapshoot, so buy the cheaper one.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I looked for a superstrat myself and settled on the Ibanez JS24, a bit out of your price range but it is beautifully made and an excellent playing guitar. As another poster said it probably boils down to which neck profile you like.

yes i did get to try both on the day i went down to the shops intending to get the jackson.
feel wise and $$ wise, the jackson was the obvious choice.
the neck felt great and the strat shaped body felt very familiar, being a strat player.
but can't get over the cool factor the ibanez exudes..
will mull over it a bit more.

@maxdown - i seem to recall the jackson truss rod access being at the headstock but maybe I remembered wrong.

was ready to spring for a jackson adrian smith sdx when i realised that ibanez had recently released a cheaper version of satriani's 24-fret signature: js140.
have been a big fan of joe for many years now so the js140 is very enticing despite the jackson feeling better in my hands (am mainly a strat person)..
What's more important to you: an artist's name on a guitar, or the way it feels in your hands?

Just remember buying your favorite artist guitar will not make you play like him :lol Seriously though I would go for the guitar that inspires me to play so it has to feel good in my hands other wise it's just a hunk of wood with some metal on it.

Reactions: Rex
I generally dislike rosewood fingerboards on electric guitars because it's pore structure can make them a little more grabby then ebony or maple, which generally have a much tighter grain. Also I much prefer a non-recessed tremolo to one sitting way down in a route. Those thing would make me lean towards the Jackson personally. But for me, you answered your own question when you said you preferred the feel of the Jackson.

I think Joe is a bit of a smaller dude too so I think the Ibanez might be a little smaller body wise than the SDX.

thanks guys, appreciated the views!
based on the promptings, am definitely leaning towards the jackson.

You remembered wrong :)
:lol thanks!
but not a deal breaker for me as several of my strats need their necks removed for relief adjustments.

Just remember buying your favorite artist guitar will not make you play like him :lol
have to admit, this probably is the reason i am drawn to the js ;)
i know, i know, to play like him, i will need to also shave my head and lose about 100 pounds, get myself a wardrobe full of black t-shirts and tight jeans, a pair of rayban and sneakers...
don't think i'll be able to make that kind of commitment if i am truthful to myself...

have to admit, this probably is the reason i am drawn to the js ;)
i know, i know, to play like him, i will need to also shave my head and lose about 100 pounds, get myself a wardrobe full of black t-shirts and tight jeans, a pair of rayban and sneakers...
don't think i'll be able to make that kind of commitment if i am truthful to myself...

I did this once on one of those Yamaha Ty Tabor models and I couldn't bond with it.

Years ago I had a realization. Why do I play ESP? Why do I use Dean Markley strings? Why do I use Green Tortex picks? Because that's that Kirk Hammett uses. That's a stupid reason to use that equipment.

So, I went on a bit of a gear soul search. I tried every pick, every string, every guitar, every amp... Literally anything I could get my mitts on, I tried. One of those things was a JS1000 I had been lusting after since high school. I finally ran into one and I actually hated it. The neck shape didn't work for me at all and when I said that, the sales guy said "well, it's good enough for Joe..."

What I found was that buying gear based on who's endorsing it is the dumbest thing you can do. Buy what YOU like, but explore everything that looks interesting.

To head off the comments about not having access to a store, I did this in Fargo, ND, AKA The Musical Wasteland of the USA, so location simply isn't an excuse for not trying things.

Back
Top Bottom