Bug? Can't connect to AE, time out (solved)

Sebastian

Power User
Latest firmware on Axe-Fx 2, latest driver and Axe-Edit 3 Win7 version.

It shows "Connected" in the upper left corner but everytime after a few seconds of communication I get:

"Communication failure: Axe-Edit was unable to complete the communication request due to time-out."

I/O settings on the Axe-Fx are as described in the release notes. I already tried re-installing the driver and Axe-Edit.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Solved. See my other post.

Last edited:
This happened with me using 168, the tick box in the top left was green and said 'Connected' but the connection was actually lost, upon disconnecting the USB cable the Axe-Fx locked up and I had to cycle the power.

Latest firmware on Axe-Fx 2, latest driver and Axe-Edit 3 Win7 version.

It shows "Connected" in the upper left corner but everytime after a few seconds of communication I get:

"Communication failure: Axe-Edit was unable to complete the communication request due to time-out."

I/O settings on the Axe-Fx are as described in the release notes. I already tried re-installing the driver and Axe-Edit.

Any thoughts?

Are you using a USB port on a hub?

I'm having the same problem, but it only happens ifI have another program that uses MIDI open (Logic, DP, etc). Obviously an issue, becuase it can't receive MIDI time code and I can't edit/chose the patches from the software when I'm recording (which is when I actually need to be able to do this).

Once I close the MIDI program AXE 3.0 runs fine. To the OP, are you using another MIDI software? maybe we could confirm this issue.

This also happened with Axe 1.9 (I reported it as a bug).

Please le me know if you need more info to address the problem.

My Info:
OSX 10.8.2
Firmware 11.0
Connected through USB

EDIT: I just added a thread about this, in case this as an unrelated issue

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in, guys.

Yup, as statet in OP, I'm on fw 11. No usb hub and the same port and cable that works flawlessly for everything else, Fractal-Bot included. No other program is running, neither midi nor anything else.

I found several workarounds:
1. I wanted to navigate through the new presets, which I already installed on the Axe-Fx. So I imported bank A (from harddisk) in Axe-Edit and suddenly I was able to edit and navigate through all 384 patches.

2. Found it in another thread, works too: I just change from one patch to another via the front panel and then Axe-Edit works without a problem. Would have never thought of that because of the warning "don't use the front panel when using Axe-Edit". Anyway, it works :)

That said and now that could fool around a bit - hats off to the programmers; this Axe-Edit incarnation is a huge step forward. Working with the front panel never bugged me, I know my way around the unit, but I'll shift my patch creation duties over to Axe-Edit 3, it feels that good :)

2. Found it in another thread, works too: I just change from one patch to another via the front panel and then Axe-Edit works without a problem. Would have never thought of that because of the warning "don't use the front panel when using Axe-Edit".
Glad you got it working, but the "don't use the front panel when using Axe-Edit" warning is to prevent occurrence of audio drop-outs and other artifacts.

The new AE3 polls the AxeII for changes... when you make a change via the Axe, it sends a generic msg, so AE4 has to poll the hardware to determine what changed. Basically, edit or "drive" the Axe from the front panel or AE (or the MFC), but not both. It's not that it won't work, it that it will prevent unintended consequences.

Enjoy!

FOLLOW UP

Alright, after encountering another problem (could not see or select any cab type; others have described this, too), I found the solution:

loading the fw 10 clean system bank into my Axe-Fx

I haven't had any user cabs in the Axe-Fx and I did reset all system parameters, but uploading the clean system bank solved both the absent cab types and the connection time-out, too.
I read that M@ might provide a genuine fw 11 clean system bank, but in my case the fw 10 bank worked already.

SOLVED.

No, just any settings under "global/ I/O /tuner/utility" and the content in the user cab slots.
Patches (i.e. content of banks A, B and C) remain untouched.

Thanks a lot! Loading the clean system bank did the trick. Now to load my user banks again and start tweaking away!

Hey, I tried downloading the file, but I get a 404 error message saying "The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Any ideas? Or can anyone message me the file directly?

The link is mentioned on page 9 or 10 of the AE starter guide.

Back
Top Bottom