Cannot use PayPal anymore from Thailand if you are not Thai national ☹

Piing

Axe-Master
This is really upsetting. From 30th November it will not be possible to use PayPal for expats living in Thailand, as they are requiring a Thai National ID number. And obtaining Thai nationality is mission impossible for foreigners.

It is easy to say "move away from PayPal, they suck", but I will not be able to sell or buy on Reverb or Ebay. I also used PayPal to purchase CABs, presets, music, lessons, Patreon, subscriptions... :(

At least they have informed in advance, so I was able to transfer all my funds from PayPal to my bank account.

1666071370648.png

Last edited:
That’s a pain!
Is it a government or a PayPal thing?
Thanks
Pauly

This is really upsetting. From 30th November it will not be possible to use PayPal for expats living in Thailand, as they are requiring a Thai National ID number. And obtaining Thai nationality is mission impossible for foreigners.

It is easy to say "move away from PayPal, they suck", but I will not be able to sell or buy on Reverb or Ebay. I also used PayPal to purchase CABs, presets, music, lessons, Patreon, subscriptions... :(

At least they have informed in advance, so I was able to transfer all my funds from PayPal to my bank account.

View attachment 110028
in

I just closed my PayPal account after years and tens of thousands in payments accepted via PayPal. After their latest fiasco about charging $2500 for wrong think, it was the final straw. Anyone who ONLY accepts Paypal has lost my business in the process.
Horrible company, so it's no longer good enough that you just use their service, they think they can tell you what to think and say now. They have back peddled on the 2500 fine after the backlash that generated, but the fact that they tried to implement that as a policy is evil.

Seems we have to protect our freedoms more than ever now.

I'm not using Paypal anymore either because of their recent shennannigans. In your case though, could you use a VPN to circumvent? You can appear to be elsewhere.

A VPN is not a solution. You have to submit some proof of address (e.g.: a credit card statement showing the address) matching the shipping address at the country of your bank account.

Sometimes they have frozen my funds when I have received the payment of a $2k or $3k guitar that I've sold, until I have submitted copy of my passport, driving license, and proof of residence. That can be annoying, but I understand that they are trying to protect the buyer against fraud. That only happens when I have been long time without selling expensive items. It seems like an algorithm that detects a change of habit.

Last edited:
That stinks @Piing . What other payment options are there for expats in Thailand?

I'm not finding a lot of info on this, so forgive my ignorance.

Last edited:
I also left PP. $2500 lmao

get woke … go broke.
jean harlow suzy GIF by Maudit

Back
Top Bottom