Cannot upload dump file to computer - operation aborts

vangrieg

Fractal Fanatic
Been trying to get the dump file from MFC Mark III to my computer to play with in recently purchased MFC-Edit. I'm connecting the MFC via a MIDI cable (5-pin) to Axe-FX II XL+. No other cables are connected to the MFC apart from the power adapter.

On the Axe, USB Adapter mode is On and Real-time SysEx is Off as per instructions. I tried several MIDI cables, but the result is the same:

- if I do it using Fractal-Bot, the transfer completes but the resulting file cannot be opened by MFC-Edit, which complains that the file size is wrong.
- if I do it using the built in MFC-Edit utility, the operation starts but always aborts at 96% with a dialog which gives me a cryptic message saying "Last Message = IntCC". Indeed, the MFC says that it's transferring IntCC's at the time.

For all other intents and purposes, both the MFC and the Axe work flawlessly.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I'm guessing that you followed the instructions exactly in the Transmission Help Popup that you get by pressing the "Get Help Connecting The MFC-101 To Your Computer" button at the bottom of the MFC-Edit SysEx Receiver window, right? Clearly the entire transmission is not getting through from the MFC-101 to the computer.

I'd like to ask you to please open a support ticket with Fractal Audio Systems and copy/paste the entire text from your Error Log on the EXTRAS page of MFC-Edit into the ticket. You can view it by attempting the the transfer and immediately upon failure going to the EXTRAS page and clicking the "View Errors" button. Try to load a file captured with Fractal Bot and copy/paste those errors also. There's useful debugging information in there that might help us pinpoint what your problem is. I don't want to clutter the forum with support so please create the support ticket. I'll include a quick suggestion here for you in case the solution is a really quick one.

Please try the following:
  • Power off the Axe-Fx and the MFC-101
  • Disconnect all cables from the MFC-101
  • Disconnect all MIDI, Ethercon and FASLINK cables from the Axe-Fx
  • Plug a single MIDI cable from the MFC-101 MIDI OUT to the Axe-Fx MIDI IN port
  • Plug the 9V power supply adapter into the MFC-101
  • Wait until the MFC-101 has completed its power-up sequence - it will probably display "NAME TIMEOUT!" - thats good.
  • Power up the Axe-Fx
  • Launch MFC-Edit; from the Tools menu, select "Receive Dump From MFC-101"
  • Click the "Get Help Connecting The MFC-101 To Your Computer" button at the bottom of the Receiver window
  • Double-check all your Axe-Fx settings
  • Restart the receive process in MFC-Edit
  • Restart the Transmit/Dump process on the MFC-101
If this still fails, we can work through the support ticket until you have resolution.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the latest versions of fractal bot and axe-edit. Oh and use the support channel if no go. It will work out. :)

Oh and one more tip, try a different cable for usb AND try a different port. Sometimes just switching usb ports will do the trick.

I'm guessing that you followed the instructionsexactly in the Transmission Help Popup that you get by pressing the "Get Help Connecting The MFC-101 To Your Computer" button at the bottom of the MFC-Edit SysEx Receiver window, right? Clearly the entire transmission is not getting through from the MFC-101 to the computer.

I'd like to ask you to please open a support ticket with Fractal Audio Systems and copy/paste the entire text from your Error Log on the EXTRAS page of MFC-Edit into the ticket. You can view it by attempting the the transfer and immediately upon failure going to the EXTRAS page and clicking the "View Errors" button. Try to load a file captured with Fractal Bot and copy/paste those errors also. There's useful debugging information in there that might help us pinpoint what your problem is. I don't want to clutter the forum with support so please create the support ticket. I'll include a quick suggestion here for you in case the solution is a really quick one.

Please try the following:
  • Power off the Axe-Fx and the MFC-101
  • Disconnect all cables from the MFC-101
  • Disconnect all MIDI, Ethercon and FASLINK cables from the Axe-Fx
  • Plug a single MIDI cable from the MFC-101 MIDI OUT to the Axe-Fx MIDI IN port
  • Plug the 9V power supply adapter into the MFC-101
  • Wait until the MFC-101 has completed its power-up sequence - it will probably display "NAME TIMEOUT!" - thats good.
  • Power up the Axe-Fx
  • Launch MFC-Edit; from the Tools menu, select "Receive Dump From MFC-101"
  • Click the "Get Help Connecting The MFC-101 To Your Computer" button at the bottom of the Receiver window
  • Double-check all your Axe-Fx settings
  • Restart the receive process in MFC-Edit
  • Restart the Transmit/Dump process on the MFC-101
If this still fails, we can work through the support ticket until you have resolution.

I'm still having issues, never resolved from the last time I posted. I can't get a dump from Fractal-Bot OR MFC-Edit. In fact I can't get any comms between the Axe-FX II and the MFC at all hooked up with MIDI cables and power pack.

I was however able to update the MFC-101 FW today via the Axe MIDI OUT to MFC MIDI IN and the MFC power pack
I have the latest FW and software for everything (FW 19.00, MFC 3.08, Latest Bot and Axe-Edit
I just drove an hour and a half for a new MIDI cable, so I now have two perfect MIDI cables.
I'm beginning to suspect that either my Axe-FX II MIDI IN port is damaged, or my MFC-101 MIDI OUT port is damaged somehow, because with USB adapter on and Send Realtime Sysex to NONE and everything hooked up correctly and powered up exactly as written, I get nothing but NAME TIMEOUT! and no control changes are getting to the Axe-FX II (preset changes).

Suggestions/methods for isolating fault to the two questionable MIDI ports? Not sure how I would go about proving or eliminating either possibility.

On yeah and my three Mission Engineering pedals (barely used) have gone to ish. I think they're just dusty. They won't calibrate to the full range anymore. Good thing I have a Fractal Pedal now...

USM_Trev, you could have a bad cable or port, but make sure that the connection between your Axe-Fx and the MFC-101 is configured correctly.

If you have an Axe-Fx II make sure that the MFC-101 is talking on the correct port to the Axe-Fx. If you have an XL or XL+ you must also set the proper MFC-101 comm port in the Axe-Fx. Please check this post to make sure that you have the correct setting. If it still doesn't work then open a support ticket please and be sure to attach the debug from the Errors Window on the EXTRAS page of MFC-Edit.

If you are sure that you have the correct settings then you either have a bad port or a bad cable somewhere.

Ok I recycled everything. BTW FASLINK is not and option on my MFC in FW 3.08... I guess it knows not to offer that option for my version 2 MFC? Anyway I'm now at least getting preset changes with the prest buttons (Buttons 1-5).

The weirdest thing happened. I had both the up and down MIDI cables connected and I could not get Input ports at all on the Fractal Bot whereas before I could. I disconnected the Axe MIDI OUT to MFC MIDI IN cable on both ends (the MFC Out to Axe In staying connected) and the NAME TIMEOUTS went away. That eliminates the ports AND the cables as an issue. Restarted Fractal Bot several times now, still no MIDI ports available in the drop downs on either the Send or Receive tabs.

It's an Axe-FX II, by the way. The MFC is set to II, so that's correct.

Why would the MFC be receiving Preset name information from the Axe MIDI In to MFC MIDI OUT line? Why is the Axe taking MIDI preset and bank change commands all of a sudden?

Edit: Out of sheer shotgun approach I decided to Reset System Parameters and it worked like a champ. I got dump files I don't know what was wrong in my Axe settings and with the scorched earth method I'll never know. I still have timeout issues with preset names when both MIDI cables are hooked up.

However: This is what I got from View Errors:

07/24 8:27: Can't load your SysEx dump file because the size (281794) is invalid. Probably the result of a transmission problem.
07/24 8:27: Can't load your SysEx dump file because the size (281794) is invalid. Probably the result of a transmission problem.

I can't open any of the files I dumped. I deleted all of them and started a new one. Same deal. MFC Edit won't open any of these files.

I'm guessing that you followed the instructions exactly in the Transmission Help Popup that you get by pressing the "Get Help Connecting The MFC-101 To Your Computer" button at the bottom of the MFC-Edit SysEx Receiver window, right? Clearly the entire transmission is not getting through from the MFC-101 to the computer.

I did. What I didn't quite get from those instructions was how exactly I should have set up ports on the MFC. And this was the source of my problem - I didn't change port to MIDI when uploading the dump file. I think this should be stated explicitly in the instructions.

Anyway, the issue is resolved, thanks a lot for you help!

Hi USMC_Trev;

Thanks for the debug information. The good news is that you are receiving the dump. The bad news is that your dump file is DOUBLE the size it should be. That would lead me to suspect that you actually transmitted the file TWICE and captured it with Fractal Bot. The size of your file being exactly double the size of a 2.18 firmware dump makes me suspicious that you actually have firmware 2.18 in your MFC-101. It could be just a rare coincidence though.

I would suggest that you use MFC-Edit Version 3.5, build 2772 to capture the dump - it has double-transmission smarts built in and will discard any extra transmission or partial transmission. Alternatively, restart Fractal Bot, capture to a new filename and make sure that you only press the ENTER switch (Switch #14) on the MFC-101 once, then click COMPLETE on Fractal Bot.

I'm sure that will work. If it doesn't work still, please open a ticket and paste the contents of the View Errors in its entirety into the trouble ticket.
Thanks
-G

Back
Top Bottom