Cannot get MFC 101 to update for the life of me.

I think your Axe-Fx is interfering over the CAT5

Try putting it on the UTILITY:pRESET page, which silences it.
That or temporarily set SEND REALTIME SYSEX to none.

I did try both of those methods earlier actually mate. Still no avail though unfortunately. I even managed to dig out the power supply so that I could take the axe fx out of the equation. Trust this sort of thing to happen to me lol.

I'm going to get it tested on a cheapo m-audio midi out tomorrow evening hopefully. If that still does it I'll be a bit worried then. Of course the common denominator here could be me screwing something up, but I'm pretty doubtful of it.

I'm not at the pc right now, but I don't recall keeping ticked the auto adjust delay check box fwiw.

Problem solved.

All down to the midi port on the sound card unit. Looks like either I have a faulty midi out (highly doubtful) or there is an incompatibility between the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and the MFC.

I took the unit to a friends house, and bang, updated first time with no problems at all on standard MIDI OX settings - using an m-audio fast track pro lol. Hours of trouble shooting later, it does kill me but i'm used to working with that sort of thing in IT.

If anybody else has updated successfully from a focusrite product I would be very interested to hear from you. Otherwise, it might be an idea to get a potential incompatibility in the wiki.

Last time updating to 1.04 took me over 20 tries and I was dreading this update. This time it worked first time! Woo hoo

- Win XP
- Midi Sport 2x2
- 5 pin midi cable
- MFC wall wart power
- Midi-ox V7.0.2.372
- Buffer size 90, num 16, delay after F7 checked, delay between buffer 30

Thanks for the step-by-step Cobbler.

I used the Mac Sys Ex Librarian. It took several goes, but the setting which worked for me were: 101 milliseconds between played messages, 1 sec receive timeout, on the next page 6% transmit speed, and un-tick both boxes on the Programme Change page.

On the Axe FxII , I had the Utility > Preset page open to stop it doing anything, and Cobbler's MIDI page settings.

Good luck all. Slow gets the job done.

Cobbler - Thanks so much for the step by step and thanks to everyone else who added their thoughts. I just upgraded mine for the first time and it took me right around 3 hours. I would tweak the delay times and fail most of the time in the 20%-30% complete range. A time or two early on, I failed somewhere in the 70's. I finally decided to go back to those settings and just keep trying. It probably took another 5 or so tries and it finally worked. I was just getting ready to switch everything over to my Macbook and try that route. It's got to be a Windows 7 issue. Anyway, my final settings were:

Delay

Thanks again all!

Problem solved.

All down to the midi port on the sound card unit. Looks like either I have a faulty midi out (highly doubtful) or there is an incompatibility between the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and the MFC.

I took the unit to a friends house, and bang, updated first time with no problems at all on standard MIDI OX settings - using an m-audio fast track pro lol. Hours of trouble shooting later, it does kill me but i'm used to working with that sort of thing in IT.

If anybody else has updated successfully from a focusrite product I would be very interested to hear from you. Otherwise, it might be an idea to get a potential incompatibility in the wiki.

I used to have bigtime midi related issues with the Focusrite Saphire 40 (ans 24) and the Standard. I think Focusrite midi implementation is to blame.

Looks like either I have a faulty midi out (highly doubtful) or there is an incompatibility between the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 and the MFC.

I used to have bigtime midi related issues with the Focusrite Saphire 40 (ans 24) and the Standard. I think Focusrite midi implementation is to blame.

Whilst I have not done an MFC Update via my Saffire Pro40, I do use it all the time with Axe-Edit and general control for the Ultra and never experienced any issues

I have Win7 x64 Ultimate, use the Elektron C6 mid filer (MIDIOX is "VERY IFFY" for me) at slowest speed over a Midisport UNO (using generic MS drivers) and updates fine every time.

As a Beta tester, I load/unload quite a few firmware versions that you never see... MidiOx/SendSX over Midisport UNO or Anniv 2x2 was very UNSTABLE for me.. I recall trying one upgrade over 45 times without success. It can be VERY frustrating.... Even USB via the Axe-II absolutely never worked for me.. tho' others have been successful using this method.
Experience indicates that this is more about Win7 drivers and sysex data xfer than issues with the MFC, as the method I use now, works fine every time.

Find what works for you and stick with it..!!

Well I'm on a win7 and using midiox via anniv2*2 never failed even once.
Have done absolutelly nothing but downloaded midiox, connected and it works.
Never set any buffer, speed or anything and havn't had one single crash yet. On 4 diff computers.
But on the other hand this is the only thing i ever used midiox for, so maybe if people have used it for other stuff they might have changed the settings?
Might be worth a reinstall of midiox before skipping it completelly.

This maybe a daft one..

I had the same experience with my windows based laptop tried for hours.... took it upto my studio using an old PPC mac and Snoize through sound card and midi cable... straight on and updated ..

Can you not get to Mac, hope this may help

dont use my PC to update the MFC it wasnt working..

cheers..

I had the same experience with my windows based laptop tried for hours.... took it upto my studio using an old PPC mac and Snoize through sound card and midi cable... straight on and updated ..

Can you not get to Mac, hope this may help

dont use my PC to update the MFC it wasnt working..

cheers..

lukather,

Yes, I think I'm going to try the Macbook next time!

Thanks a lot. I recently bought a used Ultra and only yesterday I purchased an mFC 101. Your tutorial made it so simple. Thanks for sharing!

Trying to update mfc101 my connection is direct from mfc to computer win7 64bit. i7 processor. what im not seeing is the A & C Illistration that is showing on cobblers examples.
I do see and am able to adjust the delay and bit rate. but have any line connection screen showing. At this point i'm almost ready to send the thing in to get it done,because my display is only showing
the x000 through x383 and not any preset idenifiers. What I need to know is should do a reset at this point,or hope someone thinks I should go through the axe fx2 with a 5pin cable to the 101 than
to the computer.

OK, So I was having a TERRIBLE Time of doing this.
Not Even Snoize Sysex Librarian could get mine.
I tried Several Computers, Followed Directions reading again and again to be sure.
I tried Midi-OX, Bome and then went back to Snoize Sysex Librarian.
I managed to get 2.01 on my MFC.
It was Random times between 64 and 75 that worked.
But I would have to Try 10-20 Times to get there.

What I did was I wrote down each setting I tried and Diagramed out what % I failed at.
I used Higher Percentages as a indication that I could possibly get it to go if I sent, resend, resend, resend, resend.... until it went.
The 1st Time was 64ms on Sysex Librarian. (Which is supposed to work without modifications from what other users say...)
So then I got all confident and tried to go to 2.15 (No such Luck!)
At that point the MFC was non-functional (Makes me scared to upgrade in the Future...)
So I re-loaded back to 2.01 cause at least it works... and 64ms did not work this time. Tried a TON of times...
So I started varying the Value trying again and again. Eventually it went. This Time at 69ms.

So moral of the Story is that I think their is no Magical number for your setup. It is just a general Range around that Number.
Secondly you just have to keep dumping and dumping until it goes.
Finally, it Sucks...

Back
Top Bottom