Can you use the MFC-101 with the Axe FXII and Eventide Factor Pedals?

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
Can you use the MFC-101 to control the Axe FXII and Eventide Factor Pedals at the same time?

Are any of you doing this? If so how do you do it?
I have a new MFC-101 showing up tomorrow and I'm thinking of adding some of my Eventide pedals in the fx loop of the Axe FXII.

Can you use the MFC-101 to control the Axe FXII and Eventide Factor Pedals at the same time?

Yes you can. I've put my PitchFactor in a rack and had the MFC control its patches and modifiers.

Are any of you doing this? If so how do you do it?
I have a new MFC-101 showing up tomorrow and I'm thinking of adding some of my Eventide pedals in the fx loop of the Axe FXII.

I ran the MIDI lead from the AF2, to the Eventide, to the GR-55 - I'm planning to take on Robert Fripp.

I hope that this helps, as I'm not sure what you really need to know.

Thanks Chis and Nice Chris,

Good to know it can be done.

I just want to be able to turn on and off the presets in my Eventide Pedals with some of the IA's on the MFC-101, while still using the MFC-101 to control the Axe FXII.

I'm thinking of using Timefactor to do the multidelay (to save Axe CPU and I think the Eventide is more controllable).

Nice Chris, do you have dedicated IA's on your MFC to send patch changes to the TF? I was thinking of having the TF run wet only into the pa as an effect, and bring it in and out using its own bypass, while patch changing using the MFC. I'd be very grateful for info on how you're running your eventides, controlling them etc. Mixing in the wet for example using an Expression pedal would be very cool.

I use the MFC-101 to send Program Changes to TIMEFACTOR, MODFACTOR, TRIAXIS and GR-55. Works great! Each unit is on a different channel. The changes are per preset. I also used a tennis ball to program the MFC! lol

Are you guys using your Eventide pedals in the fx loop of the Axe or just hooking them up in stereo out of the Axe FX stereo outputs?

I just got an MFC-101 today and got everything in the Axe set up as I'd like. I haven't tried it with the Eventide pedals yet. I'm still trying to better understand exactly what I''d need to do.

I have my MFC-101 connected to the Axe FXII with a Cat5 cable only right now. How do I hook up midi cables to the Axe FXII and Eventide pedals?

Should I not use the Cat5 cable to hook up the MFC-101 and only use midi cables; or should I use the Cat5 cable to connect the MFC, and also use midi cables out of the Axe to connect to the Eventides?

I have run into quite a few problems trying to use the cat5 connection to the axe fx to control midi to other devices or computers. Search the axe fx bugs section for some of them. I know it is supposed to work with the cat5, but I think not enough people are trying to use it that way for fixing it to be a priority. You would be best off running the MFC to a midi splitter using midi cables only.

@Hugomack, I just have the presets on the MFC send MIDI Program Change messages (PCs) to the PitchFactor(PF) and the GR-55. The PF is on MIDI channel 3 and the GR-55 is on 2. I have dedicated an IR the enable/bypass the PF, and I used it as a whammy too. I need to have a rethink about how I'm going to rejig things as I'm thinking about putting piezo into the rear of the AF2 along with the GR-55.

The tennis ball is for stomping on the buttons while programming! Saves the palm of my hand from abuse. :)

I use real midi cables, btw.

2 GUITARS (ACOUSTIC AND ELECTRIC) > A/B BOX > TIMEFACTOR (MIDI CHANNEL 3)> STEREO REAR INPUT AFX (MIDI CHANNEL 1> FXL via OUTPUT 2 to CARL MARTIN COMPRESSOR > TRIAXIS (MIDI CHANNEL 2)> INPUT 2 ON AXF > OUTPUT 1 IN STEREO TO TIMEFACTOR (MIDI CHANNEL 4> STEREO REVERB PEDAL > SPLIT STEREO OUTPUT WITH ONE PAIR GOING TO MESA STEREO 2: NINETY AND the other going to my mixer and my PA for acoustic and GR-55 (MIDI CHANNEL 5) synth sounds.

To set this up on the MFC go to EDIT > PRESETS and then to PROGRAM CHANGES. By default the MFC sends the preset number out as a program change on all 16 channels. Simply set the desired number for each device and the second you load the preset next time, it will switch all the devices to their desired presets!

Hi Izzy - delayed reaction from me!!

With this set up, are you getting time code through to all the devices, as if so how? Axe doesn't transmit beat clock says the manual, and I haven't been able to get it through midi from the Axe main unit outputs. I'm now using a drum machine for the pulse, which the Axe responds to, but doesn't transmit on midi thru/out. I'm now looking at a couple of midi splitter and merge boxes, to do what I'd have thought was what the Axe should be transmitting.

Ideally it would be the MFC that would do all this on the floor. But it seems that if you use the ethercon connection to the Axe (with its own power supply), the MFC's midi doesn't work. :-(

Following up, having got this working. You need a midi splitter box to route clock beat into and around the Axe, as it doesn't tx clock beat, but does tx program changes. The Axe does however transmit MIDI power, so you don't need a midi power module.

I'm driving the Axe from the MFC by ethernet. and taking the midi from the midi out of the rear of the Axe.

Since I posted this a couple years ago I bought several Eventide Pedals. By giving the Eventide pedals each a different midi channel I was able to use the MFC-101 to change presets on the Eventide pedals. But I was never able to get the MFC-101 to turn on one specific Eventide pedal to a specific Eventide preset using an IA button.

I could not find a video showing how to do this and I thought I'd figured it out several times from the manual but it didn't work. Step by step, how do you do this?
I have asked this several times to the forum over the last couple years and gotten no answer so far. Anyone?

On the MFC-101 how do you:

Set up IA button 11 to select a specific Eventide preset, and have that preset be turned on when you step on the MFC-101, and off when you step on it again?
Set up IA button 12 to select a specific Eventide preset on a second Eventide pedal, and have that preset be turned on when you step on the MFC-101?
Set up IA button 13 to select a specific Eventide preset on a third Eventide pedal, and have that preset be turned on when you step on the MFC-101?

Last edited:
Did you configure each IA for general use by setting its Axe-FX function to NONE? Have you adjusted any values described in MFC manual sections 12.4.8 through 12.4.10?

12.4.10 covers program changes so you may want to start with this. Select the "pON" command, choose the desired PC# and pedal channel. This should select a preset when the IA is switched on, and do nothing when it's switched off.

Based on one Eventide manual (PitchFactor) a bypass CC# is user-configurable. Have you set or checked these settings on the pedals? Once you've done that, use MFC manual sections 12.4.8-12.4.9 to configure a 0/127 toggle for a pedal's bypass CC#. The 127 would be redundant if the "on" PC command engages the effect but shouldn't cause any problems.

Making IA11 select a preset on another pedal would involve either a custom MIDI message for a PC on that pedal's channel, or setting both to the same channel so the single PC from earlier recalls the same preset # on both. Set this pedal's bypass CC# to something different from the first if you don't want it to bypass when the IA is switched off.

Did you configure each IA for general use by setting its Axe-FX function to NONE? Have you adjusted any values described in MFC manual sections 12.4.8 through 12.4.10?

12.4.10 covers program changes so you may want to start with this. Select the "pON" command, choose the desired PC# and pedal channel. This should select a preset when the IA is switched on, and do nothing when it's switched off.

Based on one Eventide manual (PitchFactor) a bypass CC# is user-configurable. Have you set or checked these settings on the pedals? Once you've done that, use MFC manual sections 12.4.8-12.4.9 to configure a 0/127 toggle for a pedal's bypass CC#. The 127 would be redundant if the "on" PC command engages the effect but shouldn't cause any problems.

Making IA11 select a preset on another pedal would involve either a custom MIDI message for a PC on that pedal's channel, or setting both to the same channel so the single PC from earlier recalls the same preset # on both. Set this pedal's bypass CC# to something different from the first if you don't want it to bypass when the IA is switched off.

Thank you so much. I will look into all of this tonight.

The problem I was having last night was I'd set up 10.4.10 then hit save, but it would never save. I'd try it after I saved it and nothing changed. I'd go back into edit and all of the changes I'd made to that section were back to their defaults. I tried it several times with the same results. So for some reason the changes I made to the 10.4.10 section are not saving.

Unfortunately there are no charts showing what each of the CC numbers are for in my Eventide manuals.
Just got this message on Eventide's forum; "These is no such chart. You make your own mapping in the [RCV CTL] section"

Last edited:
Still trying to figure this out. I got a message from Eventide support that said:
"On our stompboxes you need to go into the System Menu, then select MIDI and RCV CTL. Turn the encoder until you see TOG on the left side of the display. Hit the right footswitch and this will allow you to turn the encoder and set the MIDI CC number that you will send to the unit to toggle it between bypass and active."

On the MFC-101 midi controller my options are:
IA c1 CC#___ Ch___
IA c2 CC#___ Ch___
IA c1 Off000 ON127
IA c2 Off000 ON127
IA pOF PC#____ Ch____
IntCC____ CC#____ Ch____
IntCC____ Of000 On127

A few questions:
1. Which of the above would I use to send a CC# to the Eventide to turn on and off a preset?

2. Which of the above would I use to send a CC# to the Eventide to change to a different Eventide preset and to turn on and off that preset?

3. So which cc#s should I choose that aren't already doing something on the AxeFXII. The Eventide only allows you to select cc#1-99.

All the very best!
Terry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom