Can you use studio monitors with only one input?

Fowleri

Inspired
These studio monitors called Genelec, they're made with an aluminum enclosure which I like as no MDF enclosure, but they seem to have only one input

Analog signal input connector XLR female

How would I connect these monitors so I can use them with both my computer and an Axe FX 3?

You could connect them to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and is it possible then connect the Axe FX to Scarlett? I don't know how this would work, so I can have sound from both Axe Fx and computer through these monitors

8030CP-k10.jpg

Yes generally when you hook the axe up to your computer via usb, the computer will output via the axe unless told otherwise.

so Let's say I buy the speaker in the photo which only has XLR input, how would I make this work so I can use both axe fx and computer with them?

I would connect the Axe FX to the computer via USB and the studio monitor to the Axe FX via XLR, that way when I play something on computer I will hear it on speakers, but then I would need to have the Axe FX on everytime I turn on my computer

Is there another option?

There is another model with RCA and XLR that would work better, I connect to the PC via RCA so I don't need to use Axe FX as interface

Get a little Mackie 402-VLZ mixer (can be found under 100 bucks) connect your computer and Axe Fx to it, output to the Genelecs. You could even sneak a mic into the mix if you want.

No mixer needed. Use the Axe as your "sound card" / audio interface. You can route computer audio to the AxeFx and also hear your guitar. Viola.

Edit: from the wiki:
"
USB Out (from computer to Axe-Fx III):
1+2: Routed to physical Output 1 L+R (audio from the computer, added to OUT1)"

I use one Radial Mix 2:1 per monitor.

Kind of expensive for the application, but it solved all my problems without adding something that needs its own power supply.

I am using these exact speakers with an interface (Native Instrument Komplete 6) and the Axe 3 in parallel.

Connection from Axe (Out 2) and Interface (Main Out) to the speakers is done with a Y-Splitter (1 x XLR male to 2 x XLR female).

The Axe is additionally connected to the interface via XLR and SPDIF. So it is possible to use the Axe without interface and with whenever I want without any additional gear besides two Y-Splitter cables.

1. Axe to the interface, set interface into "direct monitoring" mode
2. Monitors to the interface
You get the best of both worlds
Easy-peasy

Coleman Audio LS3 is exactly what I bought for this. I can have my interface going to the LS3 input1 with two TRS cables, and the axe fx 3 going to the LS3 input 2 with two TRS cables. Then the output of the LS3 is going to my monitors. So if I want to hear my interface output, I select the 1 on the LS3, axe fx 3 I deselect the 1 and select 2. Easy way to change what device is being sent to my monitors.

I 100% recommend the product. It was exactly what I needed and provided so much hassle free flexibility.

1. Axe to the interface, set interface into "direct monitoring" mode
2. Monitors to the interface
You get the best of both worlds
Easy-peasy

what cables tho, how do I connect the axe to the interface via what cables? USB? assuming it even has USB port

Then the monitors to the interface via XLR

What interface would be ideal for all of this

I am using these exact speakers with an interface (Native Instrument Komplete 6) and the Axe 3 in parallel.

Connection from Axe (Out 2) and Interface (Main Out) to the speakers is done with a Y-Splitter (1 x XLR male to 2 x XLR female).

The Axe is additionally connected to the interface via XLR and SPDIF. So it is possible to use the Axe without interface and with whenever I want without any additional gear besides two Y-Splitter cables.

How do you connect the Axe to the interface tho I'm lost lol

also are these speakers good for guitar playing with Axe Fx? They're more expensive than other brands

How do you connect the Axe to the interface tho I'm lost lol

also are these speakers good for guitar playing with Axe Fx? They're more expensive than other brands
Routing is as follows:

Axe Out 1 (2 x XLR) -> Input 1/2 Interface
Axe Out 2 (2 x XLR) -> Y-Splitter 1/2
Axe SPIF In/Out -> SPIF In/Out Interface
Interface Output 1/2 -> Y-Splitter 1/2
Y-Splitter 1/2 -> Monitor 1/2

When following this routing, all sounds (PC and Axe) are going through the speakers. Additionally, you can use the Axe stand-alone even when the PC is not running as the Out 2 is directly connected via the Y-Splitter to the speakers.

The speakers are in my opinion very good for guitar playing. Keep in mind that the small versions of Genelec only have a bass response down to 75 Hz, however I normally low-cut my guitar signal at 80 or 90 Hz thus no issue here.

Routing is as follows:

Axe Out 1 (2 x XLR) -> Input 1/2 Interface
Axe Out 2 (2 x XLR) -> Y-Splitter 1/2
Axe SPIF In/Out -> SPIF In/Out Interface
Interface Output 1/2 -> Y-Splitter 1/2
Y-Splitter 1/2 -> Monitor 1/2

When following this routing, all sounds (PC and Axe) are going through the speakers. Additionally, you can use the Axe stand-alone even when the PC is not running as the Out 2 is directly connected via the Y-Splitter to the speakers.

The speakers are in my opinion very good for guitar playing. Keep in mind that the small versions of Genelec only have a bass response down to 75 Hz, however I normally low-cut my guitar signal at 80 or 90 Hz thus no issue here.

sounds very complicated cable management lol I'd rather the version that comes with both RCA and XLR, that way I may not even need an interface

I would control the axe fx volume from Axe fx and plug in to the axe fx and the computer sound, well through the computer lol

I have a ps5 tho that I'd like to connect to the monitors and that may be a problem as it doesn't have RCA or any audio ports lol only HDMI so

I'd have to buy a mixer to do it all I guess and would be lots of cables going on

I'll probably just buy a computer monitor with internal speakers, so I get sound from the ps5

Back
Top Bottom