Can you recommend some electric strings?

Loquenau

Power User
I forget what I used early on. In the mid 90s, I got into DRs, thought they were great but then had some flaky batches in the late 90s or so. Hadn't liked D'Addario, but got into the EXL120s and have been using those since. They last maybe a month of moderate to medium usage. Not necessarily wanting to fix something that isn't broke, but I'm curious what might be finer sounding without being much brighter?

Last edited:
Everybody has their personal preference for strings, manufacturers, gauges,etc. I suggest you go to a music store, and buy a few different sets and try them out. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I buy my strings in bulk to save money. Rather than buy a bunch of strings just to find that you don't really like them, seems to make sense to settle on what you like, then buy them in bulk. Just my 2 cents.

Try Ernie Ball .10's...nothing else feels right to me after I got used to the change from 9's to 10's and EB as the brand. If I need a slightly lighter feel I go for the DR set with the .095 high E string.

I forget what I used early on. In the mid 90s, I got into DRs, thought they were great but then had some flaky batches in the late 90s or so. Hadn't liked D'Addario, but got into the EXL120s and have been using those since. They last maybe a month of moderate to medium usage. Not necessarily wanting to fix something that isn't broke, but I'm curious what might be finer sounding without being much brighter?

Playing style, guitar scale length, setup? a lot of factors for string type as to brand I'm in the D'Addario camp with EXL110's and have been for quite a wile. I do like the color ID that D'Addario uses and how they pack them in a plastic bag which keeps them fresh both of which are minor things but do add to the value especially if you buy in bulk.

I did however try SIT strings a wile back and will say they were overly bright at first but after an hour or so of playing they sounded really good to the point that I was pleasantly surprised and stayed that way for a bit longer then I was used to EXL's. Even though I primarily use D'Addario if I were to run out I would not hesitate to use or recommend SIT strings.

Elixir Nanoweb 10-46s or 10-52s...depending on tuning. I used to play D'Addario when I was a youngin...then EB Super Slinky...then the blue Dean Markley Blue Steel Cryogenic...straight Elixirs now....The nanoweb coating makes them last 3 times as long...but they cost 3x as much...lol

I found webstrings.com and never looked back. Cheap great strings plus in gauges that I couldnt find any other. I use the med/heavy. Seriously cheap buy 5 sets and under $4 each including shipping.

Best strings I've ever used and use are Chris Campbell Strings. I've used everything from GHS, Daddario, Ernie Ball, Elixir, DR, and several others im forgetting the name of, and the Chris Campbells are to me the best I've played. Have a very cool harmonic quality to them and they last a really long time too! A few buds of mine say they feel stiffer but I am able to do tons of bending with no issue or fatigue.

Always playing elixier nanowebs, mostly .10s.

It's not neccessarily about the increased durability, I just like the feel of those strings, as they are a little softer and it's easier to do slides on them compared to non-coated strings. Also, they don't cost a fortune.

Best strings I've ever used and use are Chris Campbell Strings. I've used everything from GHS, Daddario, Ernie Ball, Elixir, DR, and several others im forgetting the name of, and the Chris Campbells are to me the best I've played. Have a very cool harmonic quality to them and they last a really long time too! A few buds of mine say they feel stiffer but I am able to do tons of bending with no issue or fatigue.

might have to try these

Different strokes for different folks - grab a few different sets and try them out on the same day to see what works for you.
When you find out what works for you can buy in bulk and save a lot of $.

I use Ernie Ball and John Pearse strings - both 10's (sometimes a heavy bottom set) on strats and teles and 11-12's on Gibsons.
Personally I don't like the Elixir or other coated strings for electric - they last long but they don't sound right to me - YMMV.

Ernie Ball Power Slinky's
Tried many brands. Settled on GHS Boomers for years, with one 2-3 year hiatus with D'Addario, then back to Boomers. Recently switched to the Ernie Ball's and will likely never change again.
The Power Slinky's sounds great, aren't twangy, are very stable, hold up really well to my corrosive sweat and last twice as long.

For my Strat I use Fender Bullets 0.10 - 0.46.

For my EBMM JP6 I use Ernie Ball Cobalts same gauge as above. I find those strings really brighten up the pickups and make use of their smooth gain as well. Especially on high gain settings.

I love DRs. For whatever reason, I don't break them and that is invaluable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like and use Curt Mangan's currently but I agree with others about it being dependent on a lot of factors... it's one of those things, like picks, that you have to go through and put some time into to figure out what works for you.

Been using GHS Boomers forever. I'll occasionally try a different brand, but I always come back to these. Seriously though, the fact this thread hasn't devolved into a flame war yet is a testament to the level heads of most Fractalites. I've seen fights on religion that are more tame than your average 'best strings' thread. :lol

Back
Top Bottom