Can you make the Guitar sound like it’s coming from vinyl in the AX3

Most of why I want a poly digit/beebo is the tape stop sound on command. That and weird glitch goodness that the axe cant do as yet.
Can't do what?

The Mono Tape delay does all sorts of true tape emulation, including the glitches when the tape speed is changed or the heads are moved. I don't remember if the Stereo Tape delay does it still.

"Originally all the delays "chirped" when changing the tempo (like many other effects processors). I rewrote the primary delay types so it cross-fades between tempos when you tap a new one to avoid this. The tape delay type doesn't do this so that you can use it as you would an actual tape delay and get all those cool effects by changing the head position or motor speed." [9]
Too many people had absolutely no idea how delays reacted when changing the speed, and they'd complain, so Cliff changed the algorithm but left it in the tape delay.

I have the appropriate controls in my Per-Preset controls to let me mess with runaway echo if I want.

The axefx can not do the tape stop sound, among other things. If I were actively doing more ambient stuff I would hit up our Poly dealer as he’s not too far away.

There are some cool glitch things that can be done with the Axe-FX, but glitch is a frequent topic of wish threads, especially effects that need buffers or tight gates or rhythmic division etc.
The axefx can not do the tape stop sound, among other things. If I were actively doing more ambient stuff I would hit up our Poly dealer as he’s not too far away.
Are we talking about the sound of the tape changing speed over the head and/or the heading moving in relation to the tape? Or are we talking about mechanical sounds that the recorder/delay unit made? We can't emulate mechanical sounds, nor can I see any reason to want to do so, that's what samplers are for.

If it's the sound of the tape moving over the head, then, yes, all the units can do it in the Mono Tape delay. It's the sound Tommy Bolin got in Billy Cobham's Quadrant 4 at 2:46 and 3:45, turning feedback up until it begins self-oscillating, then adjusting the head distance or the tape speed. Open the "EJ Clean" preset (#95-ish), open the Delay 1 block, turn up the feedback to around 50%, play a note, then drag the Motor Speed or Time values around.

If it's the sound of a tape rewinding while monitoring is on, there's not a built-in block or setting, but we should be able to do it using the looper's reverse setting or reverse delay. "Glitch" is not a well-defined term for what the sound is, so examples are needed.

I believe Leon did it in his beebo demo. Will dig around later!

I know most tape delays can do the gliding between speeds but glitch is indeed different.

Anyone want to link the hexe revolver demo?

As someone who grew up during the '60s and '70s, I cannot figure out why anyone would want to add pops, scratches, etc. We drove ourselves crazy trying to get rid of all that surface noise - and now folks want to replicate that?

Next thing you know they'll be replicating the track fade-out / fade-in that had to be done with 8-track players.

Yup. Now things are maybe too pristine and predictable. :)

There is the Chase Bliss pedal for that wavy/woobbly static, and Catalinbread
has a pedal that replicates a skipping CD Walkman. For those who want their
songs to get hung up on an endless repeat, and getting their glitch on. :)

And the sound of a tape being eaten.

vintage-audio-cassette-tape-pencil-hole-to-rewind-outside-tape-technology-s-vintage-audio-cassette-tape-240873834.jpg

I believe Leon did it in his beebo demo. Will dig around later!

I know most tape delays can do the gliding between speeds but glitch is indeed different.

Anyone want to link the hexe revolver demo?

That Catalinbread pedal is all glitchy goodness.

Yup. Now things are maybe too pristine and predictable. :)
Only if we choose that.

There is the Chase Bliss pedal for that wavy/woobbly static, and Catalinbread
has a pedal that replicates a skipping CD Walkman. For those who want their
songs to get hung up on an endless repeat, and getting their glitch on. :)

We can do the "wavy/wobbly" with modulation or the LFO. In addition to the W@rped Vinyl preset, the Stereo Tape Delays, Sci-Fi Delays, Haunting Echoes and Ekkoplex Juniors presets show how to do random noise like worn, wrinkled and damaged tape, changing tape speed or head position. Infinite repeat is available on the FX3, and probably the FM9. The FM3 is lacking enough power to do true infinite non-degrading repeat according to Cliff.

A skipping Walkman can be done using a short delay time, like 125 ms, and the Hold function, and only took a minute to set up with a CS on the Hold setting.

As someone who grew up during the '60s and '70s, I cannot figure out why anyone would want to add pops, scratches, etc. We drove ourselves crazy trying to get rid of all that surface noise - and now folks want to replicate that?

Next thing you know they'll be replicating the track fade-out / fade-in that had to be done with 8-track players.
Now, instead of people playing to tracks, they will think you are playing along to a “record player”!

Intentional pops, scratches, and noise are kinda like artificially reliqued guitars. I cannot figure that out :D

Intentional pops, scratches, and noise are kinda like artificially reliqued guitars. I cannot figure that out :D
Different from the relic in that you can decide where and for how long you insert them into the signal lol.

As noted the Warped Vinyl preset does a good job of this. It uses a lot of juice though.

I use it from time to time to post process my loopers. Loopers get the treatment, guitar stays clean. It’s a cool juxtaposed set of sounds.

btw, that clip isn't mine and i don't think it uses my preset you linked to there.

I apologize for being unclear. I did not intend to imply that you were the one playing in that clip. It is my impression that the clip I posted was created using your lo-fi-loop junky block. Here's the post from which that clip originated:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/lo-fi-loop-junky.168880/

Simeon's Lo-fi loop junky block with some added chaos...and some timeless chords.

Back
Top Bottom