Can you increment/decrement scenes & presets via midi?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
G'day,
I was going to insert this into the wish list but wasnt really sure (from the manual) that the III doesn't already support one or both of these.

I'd like to increment/decrement the selected scene (or preset) number via midi.
As a use case, I'd like to have 2 buttons on my handy dandy midi controller dedicated to scene up/scene down, and another two dedicated to preset up/Preset down.
When I'm on scene one in a preset & press the 'Scene up' button, I want the III to go to scene 2. When I then press the 'Scene down' button, I want the selected scene to go back to 1. Same for presets (I _think_ this is already possible)

Anyhoo - please let me know if this is or isn't already doable and I'll move accordingly.

Thanks
Pauly

While I dont have an Axe III yet to test, the Axe 2 you could use CCs to do the following:

Scene Increment 123
Scene Decrement 124

New pdf manual shows page 121:
CC VALUE TO SCENE
When selecting Scenes using the global options found on the Other page of the MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP, the value of the designated CC# determines the Scene:

New pdf manual shows page 121:
CC VALUE TO SCENE
When selecting Scenes using the global options found on the Other page of the MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP, the value of the designated CC# determines the Scene:
that's how Scenes have always worked. set a CC# (previous default was CC#34) and then send a specific value (0-127) to change to a specific scene. 0=1, 1=2, etc.

i'm pretty sure there are MIDI commands available for Scene Inc, Scene Dec.

Presets change with Program Change (PC) messages - this is the industry standard. and most MIDI control devices don't have a "Preset +1" function. so it would require the Axe to respond to CC messages that would change PCs... this is probably a wish item for now.

Thanks Chris & Rob.
Yes I'm aware you can set the arbitrary scene with a set value - It's the increment & decrement I'm wishing for.
Pauly

Scene Inc/Dec is there (and documented in the manual).
Inc/Dec preset might be possible to add in the future.
It is already built in to the FC.

Thanks you wonderful people!
Pauly

yup. i'm not at the Axe3 now, but Scene Inc/Dec is there i'm pretty sure

Scene Inc/Dec is there (and documented in the manual).
Inc/Dec preset might be possible to add in the future.
It is already built in to the FC. .

To Setup Scene Increment/Decrement
1. Follow the instructions on page 24/25 of the MFC manual to setup 2 I/A switches with MIDI commands. I used 123/124 because that was the default for XL+. Setup Switch Control Change Messages as "IA10 c1 CC#123 Ch01" and "IA05 c1 CC#124 Ch01"
2. Follow the insturctions on page 56 of the MFC manual to change the IA Switch Control Change ON/OFF Values. I used I/A 10 as follows: "IA10 c1 off127 onOFF" and IA05 c1 off127 onOFF".
3. Follow the insturctions on page 65 of the MFC manual to change the IA Switch Types to "Momentary".
4. To learn already existing MIDI functions on the AXE III, do the following
a. Click Setup on the AXE III
b. Go to the MIDI setup menu
c. Hit page twice to get to the "bypass" menu
d. Scroll down to the AXE function you wish to control
e. Press "Enter" to get the AXE into "learning" mode
f. Press the MFC I/A switch
g. The AXE III "learns" the MIDI command and will associate it to bypass that switch.
h. Repeat.​

Are you using an MFC?

If so, you could just set the Bank Size to 1. Then you could inc/dec presets using the UP/DOWN on the MFC. I realize this would in effect remove your functionality to use part of your switches to select presets in a bank, and would force you to only use IA's (you would also probably want to move the bank up out of your way using the FirstPresetSwitch if you are on the mk III). If you're using scenes for the most part and don't need to tap dance between your bank much this might be an option.

If you are on another MIDI controller then yeah we would have to wait until that preset functionality could be added on the III.

Back
Top Bottom