Can you ignore a thread?

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
So it won't ever show up for you, even when there are new posts there?

There are some long-running topics I really know definitely do not interest me. I'd like to mark them as Ignored, but I don't see any way to do that.

Did I miss it?

I HATE the ignore function. Being able to ignore people is the biggest reason why Twitter is full of assholes and echo chambers. You got to be challenged from time to time by seeing some stupidity or by being called out on your stupidity. Be it politely of course. Also, if I only get to see what my filter judges interesting to me I might end up with so few threads and topics that the forum might as well appear dead for all intents and purposes. But some of the more interesting threads were the ones that appeared totally uninteresting at first.

Dave, I use uBlock Origin (an ad-blocking browser plugin) and have used that to hide subs I don't read on this forum and others. I just checked, and it can hide specific threads here, too. I would guess that other ad blockers can do the same.

Dave, I use uBlock Origin (an ad-blocking browser plugin) and have used that to hide subs I don't read on this forum and others. I just checked, and it can hide specific threads here, too. I would guess that other ad blockers can do the same.
Interesting, I'll check it out.

Sometimes there are options available in the software that aren't enabled on a particular site. Don't know that's one or not, that's why I was asking.
@iaresee maintains the forum... So my assumption is his answer included what's possible as opposed to what's enabled.

But I'll let him answer for himself :)

So it won't ever show up for you, even when there are new posts there?

There are some long-running topics I really know definitely do not interest me. I'd like to mark them as Ignored, but I don't see any way to do that.

Did I miss it?
When you UNWATCH a thread it never shows up again for me when new posts are made. Obviously that is NOT what you are talking about.
Maybe you mean something like Example for me: I have NO interest in any thread that talks about shredding. If I could hide or not see those threads I guess that would be cool. But what would happen if the wording was used in passing only in a thread I would be interested in? Hmm?

When you UNWATCH a thread it never shows up again for me when new posts are made. Obviously that is NOT what you are talking about.
Maybe you mean something like Example for me: I have NO interest in any thread that talks about shredding. If I could hide or not see those threads I guess that would be cool. But what would happen if the wording was used in passing only in a thread I would be interested in? Hmm?
My two most common ways to browse here (outside of searching for something specific) are What's New > New Posts and Alerts.

You're right that once you unwatch a thread it won't show up in alerts, so I'm ok there.

But New Posts, which is how I find out about stuff I'm not already watching, frequently has multiple threads at the top that I know I'm not going to read, and they stay there for a long time sometimes. I don't care about FM3 or Mac bugs, FM3 updates or presets, Seymour Duncan PowerStage, or Axe fx II for instance.

It's not a huge deal of course, but if there was a way to just Ignore some of those, I would, and if there's a disabled forum option to be able to, I personally would like it turned on.

My two most common ways to browse here (outside of searching for something specific) are What's New > New Posts and Alerts.
I frequent two XenForo-based forums. One is a woodworking forum I help run, and I use the What's New feature there, because I want to see every new post that happens there.

Here on the FAS forum, I'm primarily interested in the main Axe-Fx III forum and the Lounge, with occasional visits to other subforums. For that reason, I stay away from What's New and just navigate directly to the subs I'm interested in. There are still some threads that show up that I'm not particularly interested in, but it's a lot more focused toward my interests than if I were to use the What's New option.

Back
Top Bottom