Can you hook up the Axe FX 3 in multiple ways at the same time?

bartnijman94

Can you hook up the Axe FX 3 in multiple ways at the same time?

For example, if I'm using 4CM because I want to use only the effects with my real amp/cab, can I then easily switch to just the Axe FX 3 (so using amp sims, and bypassing my real amp completely)? Or would you have to change all sorts of cables everytime you want to switch between methods?

And on top of that, if I decide to use the Axe FX 3 as my audio interface, are these things still possible? Using the axe as your interface, being able to plug straight in and use the amp sims/presets/etc, and using 4cm with an amp? Of course using the axe fx while its your interface is possible haha, but can 4cm be hooked up at the same time?

Its difficult to visualise all of this from schematics, and I cant really wrap my head around all the possibilities. Does anyone have personal experience with this sort of thing?

So, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I know you can hook up the AxeFX III to the FOH and to a Power Amp/Cab at the same time, if you want to run a real amp/cab at the same time your sending a digital output to the FOH.

Thats sort of the same thing I guess? I'm kinda noobie so I dont really know haha. What i'm looking for:
  • hook up 4cm
  • hook up to pc
-> being able to switch between 1) real amp + af3 effects, and 2) af3 modeling (no real amp)

The question being, can you hook this up at the same time, and easily switch (either in DAW, or just pluging into either the amp for '1' or the af3 for '2'? Or do you have to (dis)connect a lot of cables if you want to switch between real amp/modeling

Mind you, I've never done this, but I understand you can drop Output2 Block before the Cab (for your 4cm and then use Output1 for you PC...others may be able to explain this better...

Once connected correctly there would be no need for swapping around cables.
In the grid, you would have two separate I/O structures.
Then it's just a matter of switching between those structures for modeled, 4CM, or both simultaneously in the studio (using a DAW) or in a live situation.
Example:4CM Modeled Hybrid.jpg

Physical connection: Axe Out 3>Amp Input. Amp FX loop send>Axe In 3. Axe Out 4>Amp FX loop return.

With both the Amp block and Out 3 block switched on, modeled and 4CM are engaged simultaneously.
By switching Out 3 off, only modelling is engaged.
By switching Amp off (set in Mute mode) only 4CM is engaged.

In this example any FX put in the grid before Amp/Out 3 ( with the noteable exception of a fuzz pedal which reacts best with direct connection to guitar pickups) would be equivalent to putting a pedal in front of a real amp.
Any FX put in the grid between In 3 & Out 4 would be equivalent to putting pedals between the pre-amp and power amp section
of a real amp (IE: in amps FX loop).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom