Can you help me get this tone..

Hello I am trying to achieve this sort of tone:

I have mostly just been using presets and want to start dialing in my own tones so if people could help me get this sort of sound that would be greatly appreciated.

One of the comments says he's using a wah but I didn't think that at first?

Anyway I'm in love with this tone so any help would be amazing!

Thanks,
Sam.

I don't hear any wah. Sounds a bit like Petrucci's lead tone. A lot of it is in his technique. He's hitting a ton of harmonics all over the place and changing pickups for certain phrases.

USA IIC+ models are probably a good place to start for that kind of thing. Turn the Bass knob way down to like 1 or 2 and use the Mark style 5 band EQ in the amp block to shape the sound post gain with a bit of a mid scooped V shape.

Thanks I thought I was going crazy as I wasn't hearing any wah either! Yeah it's made me look at my playing when learning it as he really makes the notes sing.

I still don't know how he gets those notes at about 11 seconds just the single notes going up the G string to sound like that. I know it's how he attacks them but I just can't get it to sound like that.

I will give that a try when I finish work, thank you for the advice.

Thanks,
Sam.

On further listening, there's a few notes and licks that it sounds like he might be using a wah or filter of some kind to embellish things a little bit. It's pretty subtle. Might be an auto-wah or subtle envelope filter that he kicks on for a few notes here and there to accent things. Hard to tell if he's moving his foot for it.

On further listening, there's a few notes and licks that it sounds like he might be using a wah or filter of some kind to embellish things a little bit. It's pretty subtle. Might be an auto-wah or subtle envelope filter that he kicks on for a few notes here and there to accent things. Hard to tell if he's moving his foot for it.

Can you set up something similar on the axe? Sounds like you could do some cool stuff with that!

Back
Top Bottom