Can you do everything you can on the VST version of Cab-Lab 3 as the standalone?

tabqwerty

Inspired
I figure I'd might as well save another $30. And yeah, I know this probably isn't the appropriate topic section. The traffic is dead in the Cab Lab one.

Its been a while since I’ve fired up the VST version of Cab-Lab but I don’t recall any differences in the VST version other than needing to host it in a DAW to pass audio through it.

What are you looking to do that’s compelling you to want Cab-Lab? Maybe we can help you achieve your goals without the stressful outlay of money if you can articulate what you’re trying to accomplish?

Nope.

1. plug-in can't connect to AxeFX... i.e. you'd have to do your mixes, then save to computer, then transfer with Fractal-Bot or Axe-Edit instead (with standalone you can transfer from the app).
2. plug-in doesn't have access to the items in the Tools menu... so no "Batch" convert/rename/etc (though if all you use from there is to convert wav2sys, Cab-Lab3 Lite will do that), and no IR Capture tool.

There's a comparison chart on Page 2 of the manual...

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/cab-lab/Cab-Lab-3-Manual.pdf

If you're thinking of Cab-Lab mostly as a tool to use to get IRs mixed and on the Axe, get the standalone. If you're thinking of it mostly as a tool to get IRs mixed and use to re-cab recorded tracks in your DAW, get the plug-in. If you think you might want to do a little of both, and you wanna save $20 over deciding that later, and then having to buy one or the other not at the bundle price, get the bundle now.

What do you mean it (the plug-in) can't connect to the Axe-FX? How would it even work, then?
You can use your Axe-Fx as an interface in the DAW, but the VST itself has no knowledge of what is feeding it audio. It takes audio from the DAW track you drop it on.

So it's only good for re-amped tracks and not live playing/performing while recording?
No. You can use it to monitor live while recording. But you have to send the audio into the DAW, through the track VSTs, in real-time, which can introduce a bunch of latency. It works the same as any other VST would work in your DAW of choice.

So it's only good for re-amped tracks and not live playing/performing while recording?
I would say "better for" or "intended for", not "only good for", you can monitor record, but I find that tends to introduce too much latency as you round trip the signal from USB to DAW through plug-in back to USB. I much prefer to either use standalone version and send the mix to the scratchpad to test, or to record a track w/o a cab block, and then use the Cab-Lab plugin in my DAW to re-cab later.

But just to clarify, when I said, "can't connect to AxeFX" I meant that you can't use the right hand section buttons to "Send Mix to Scratchpad" or "Send Mix to User Cab #" (they'll be greyed out)... basically, the plug-in can't be used to transfer syx file data over USB like standalone can was my point. If your AxeFX is acting as your audio interface, that still works as it's the OS and DAW that are managing the USB audio connection to the AFX, not the plugin.

I'll ask again: what are you trying to achieve? Do you want to make custom mixes for already-recorded tracks? Or do you want to make custom mixes for recording and playing live? I feel standalone is far better suited for the latter case. Plugin for the former -- but even then, I'd maybe lean towards standalone and just do the looping on the Axe-Fx while tuning the mix instead of on the DAW track.

Meh. I don't know what exactly I want to do with them, which probably means I should get both anyway.
Or wait until you have a specific need? I find I open Cab-Lab a few times a year. Even on the II there was plenty of power in the cab block to mix two IRs. It was rare I'd want to permanently commit the mix to a single IR or need to mix >2 IRs.

Well, what's said is done. I own each, but the downloads are telling me I need the activation codes to continue. Where are they? And does it matter or not that I have a 2nd generation (in order to use the EWQL libraries I bought a long time ago) iLok instead of 3rd?

Or wait until you have a specific need?

I feel that I've waited too long, or would end up waiting too long. Compulsive buying can work in your favor despite it being a deficit in one regard. (It's how I own an Axe-FX to begin with, otherwise I'd play it safe and still use the Crate Blue Voodoo and Hartke 4x12 with a DigiTech RP150 . . .)

Is it normal for a mix to start becoming congested and sound like there's a huge wave of low-end distortion that comes and goes and there's nothing you can do to fix it but remove some of the IRs?

Back
Top Bottom