Can you actually get a strength or muscular endurance workout playing your guitars?

dsouza

Experienced
Just curious.

Ever since I started playing my new Slash Gibson LP Standard in November Burst, I am finding the muscles in my upper back, lower back, abs, arms, neck, legs, and ankles are all getting stronger, more toned, and slightly bigger.

At first I thought it was my exercise routine , but I only exercised 1 day this week on a Monday and have been doing this routine for years without additional muscle gain. More a healthy bodyweight exercises program.

But ever since the Gibson arrived I am getting more toned than ever in all muscle groups and at first I found it to be a weighty beast but now I am finding my back getting used to it. I play it about 60 min a day right now... I am gradually working up to 3 hrs.

I am wondering if this is why Gibson players like Slash etc have such strong, lean, toned physiques that don't look like the tight muscles you see on bodybuilders?

These guys are playing their Gibsons 12 hrs a day or more. I can only imagine that would create an opportunity for some serious muscle toning.

What do you think? Can you get a workout out of your guitar? (I'm assuming you're standing up while rehearsing/performing.)

Cheers!
Dsouza

Just curious.

Ever since I started playing my new Slash Gibson LP Standard in November Burst, I am finding the muscles in my upper back, lower back, abs, arms, neck, legs, and ankles are all getting stronger, more toned, and slightly bigger.

At first I thought it was my exercise routine , but I only exercised 1 day this week on a Monday and have been doing this routine for years without additional muscle gain. More a healthy bodyweight exercises program.

But ever since the Gibson arrived I am getting more toned than ever in all muscle groups and at first I found it to be a weighty beast but now I am finding my back getting used to it. I play it about 60 min a day right now... I am gradually working up to 3 hrs.

I am wondering if this is why Gibson players like Slash etc have such strong, lean, toned physiques that don't look like the tight muscles you see on bodybuilders?

These guys are playing their Gibsons 12 hrs a day or more. I can only imagine that would create an opportunity for some serious muscle toning.

What do you think? Can you get a workout out of your guitar? (I'm assuming you're standing up while rehearsing/performing.)

Cheers!
Dsouza
Les Pauls and other heavy guitars do the opposite for me. Neck, back and shoulder pain. Maybe it's worth it though as heavy dense wood guitars always seem to sound the best to me.

Just curious.

Cheers!
Dsouza
This makes zero sense. Especially if you were playing another guitar before.

For Slash, playing a 3 hour set (no breaks) 4 or 5 nights a week under hot pro stage lights might have a little to do with it. Do not think the Les Paul has anything to do with it. He is not as slim or toned anymore as his drug and alcohol days.

For every Slash you have a Warren Haynes. Explain that...

I doubt just standing and playing a Les Paul is getting "upper back, lower back, abs, arms, neck, legs, and ankles stronger, more toned, and slightly bigger."

Hmmm....I'm thinking "No". ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

On a more serious note. There have been some pretty toned guitarists. I usually think of Phil Collen; he has obviously maintained quite a regimen over the years.

You never know what someone is doing behind the scenes. To make it to the top tier of professional guitarists, or in any field, requires self discipline. Certainly there are those (like Mr. Govan above) who funnel that self discipline almost entirely into the guitar, but it's safe to say there are others who see value in other endeavors as well, fitness being one of them.

I think it’s the other way around: big, beefy guys have an easier time with a heavier guitar. Similar to how a disproportionate number of famous guitar players are tall, with long fingers.

Your left hand certainly gets stronger. I had a guy I was fighting once ask "Why is your left hand so strong??" I was playing a lot of bass back then. True story - I'd never thought about it 'till he asked that question.

Thanks
Pauly

Just curious.

Cheers!
Dsouza

I think it’s the other way around: big, beefy guys have an easier time with a heavier guitar. Similar to how a disproportionate number of famous guitar players are tall, with long fingers.

That explains why a short 5'8" man like myself whose beefy with short fingers feels like he's getting a workout out of the LP. Also the LP is heavy and more compact than the Strat. The frets on the LP "seem" closer together than my strat (i.e. smaller frets to some degree?). IDK I feel it's easier to solo on my LP than my strat maybe because the guitar is different or feels so solid or I feel grounded with the weights and my lack of height.

I also find weighted exercises so much more fun than cardio and always have since my 20's.

This and many other reasons could explain why the gibson is toning me up. One thing for sure when I first played it my lower back was killing me.. It still does but the pain is subsiding and the muscles around back and abdomen getting stronger and harder.

When Slash steps on top of a piano to solo to November Rain trust me he's using a lot of static strength. You could argue it's his workout but working with a LP 12+ hours a day has got to help with strong posture. I don't know how heavy the custom is but my standard feels 10+ lbs.

Last edited:
This makes zero sense. Especially if you were playing another guitar before.

I was playing my strat which is a 7 lbs guitar and feels light in comparison now that I have the LP. The strat doesn't give me any toning but I find the LP works my midsection, upper back , and shoulders. I also do bodyweight exercises 1-2x week which help with toning but I find they never strengthened my back like the LP when I played it for lengthy periods of time. I have a weak back.. Maybe the solution is to go to the gym and forget getting stronger with the guitar? But I tell you everytime I get into gym workouts my skill training on the guitar goes to crap. Less time to practice, more time put for rest/sleep. My wife complains I'm always tired when I lift at the gym and BWE are better for me as a guitarist , as is more time actually practicing my craft.

Last edited:
Hmmm....I'm thinking "No". ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

This guy is a toothpick but does he eat a lot of protein and good food? A lot of musicians do drugs which explains why they're so thin. However, wiry strength should not be underestimated. You CAN be skinny AND strong.

Back
Top Bottom