Can you achieve the functionality of the Mission Expressionator with AxeFXII?

benson

Inspired
Or even the Ax8? Basically I currently have several expression pedals which I'd like to reduce down to one (yes I use them all and no I can't achieve what I want with scenes). The Expressionator allows you to use multiple modifier functions on a single pedal which sounds great but it's expensive, requires power and could be tricky to switch live. Much easier to do so via an IA on the board of either my MFC or Ax8.

I think you would need to tell us exactly what you want to accomplish for anyone to be able to suggest a possible solution.

controlling multiple modifier functions with a single pedal. you mean at the same time? if so, then of course you can. just attach the external controller you have assigned to the pedal to multiple parameters. however, if you're describing something more like using the same pedal to control wah, rotary speed, tremolo speed, delay mix etc etc (things which you would want to control one at a time) then scenes would be the way to go, by bypassing, or switching from x to y the blocks you want to control. you'll have to explain a typical scenario that you're achieving now with multiple pedals, so we can figure out of it's possible with one.

Apologies, I wasn't veryclear. What I'm looking to do is cycle the effect the expression pedal is controlling within a preset. So one expression pedal could have multiple separate (not combined) uses depending on the IA you've selected in a smiler way to how the Expresionater works.

In which case, no i don't think so. Multiple ia switches would be an option if you don't need continuous control

You might wanna look into a stereo ABC switcher? Basically I'm thinking you can feed the expression pedal into one of those, and then the outputs into one of 3 inputs on the MFC or Ax8 and select which with a stomp switch?

If you're comfortable enough with soldering you might be able to build something like that for around 50 in parts I'd think... thinking out loud here, but I'd imagine with two 4pdt stomp switches (5-10 a piece i'd imagine), 4 stereo jacks (about 5), and then maybe a 10 buck enclosure... Wiring would go something like input jack gets connected to first switch common so up position goes to out jack "A", down position goes to switch 2 common, that then connects up to out jack "B", and down connects common to out jack "C"... something like that anyways.

What I'm looking to do is cycle the effect the expression pedal is controlling within a preset. So one expression pedal could have multiple separate (not combined) uses depending on the IA you've selected in a smiler way to how the Expresionater works.
A liquid foot midi controller can do this. I have an expression pedal that I use as a wah pedal normally but I can hit an IA switch to change the function of the expression pedal to controlling a Vol/Pan block for volume swells.

Terry.

The Gordius Little Giant can also re-assign the expression pedal. Very cool! This would be an excellent improvement for the MFC.

The Gordius Little Giant can also re-assign the expression pedal. Very cool! This would be an excellent improvement for the MFC.

Yes you need a more advanced MIDI controller than the MFC. I think the RJM and Liquid foot pedals could do this too. You would use an IA switch to change the CC of the expression pedal.

You might wanna look into a stereo ABC switcher? Basically I'm thinking you can feed the expression pedal into one of those, and then the outputs into one of 3 inputs on the MFC or Ax8 and select which with a stomp switch?

that's a clever solution. don't lehle make these?

I believe lehle do make them, yeah... can't say i've ever used one as to recommend it, but they are nice looking pedals

Mission make ine(the Expresionator) but I was hoping to avoid the cost and bulk of an additional item on the board. I think I'll try and achieve my objective with scenes until the MFC evolves.

Need to check and see what happens when the MFC suddenly sees an expression pedal input "float" -- with this approach, the two non-active outputs from the switcher will read as no-pedal-attached to the MFC-101 which may cause it to send a default value for the CC that's not desirable.

@benson: If you're trying to tackle this with scenes, here's an example of mapping on expression pedal to 8 different parameters: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1822

And the thread where the patch design is discussed: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fest-ii.72486/page-27#post-929309

Last edited:
Need to check and see what happens when the MFC suddenly sees an expression pedal input "float" -- with this approach, the two non-active outputs from the switcher will read as no-pedal-attached to the MFC-101 which may cause it to send a default value for the CC that's not desirable.

@benson: If you're trying to tackle this with scenes, here's an example of mapping on expression pedal to 8 different parameters: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1822

And the thread where the patch design is discussed: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fest-ii.72486/page-27#post-929309

Thanks @iaresee, that's a really good point to make about potential issues with a floating modifier. I'll take a look at the scene link.

I tried for a while to use a Mission SP-2 pedal which has two expression outputs and the switch on the pedal switches between the two outputs so depending on what you want to control, this may work for you. It wasn't working for me because the non-selected expression output was sending 100% and I wanted it to send 0%. This was into my RJM MMGT/16. Depending on what you want to achieve and maybe the Ax8 can be programmed differently (I sold the SP-2 a while back so can't try with my Ax8) this would cut your expression pedal requirement in half.

I tried for a while to use a Mission SP-2 pedal which has two expression outputs and the switch on the pedal switches between the two outputs so depending on what you want to control, this may work for you. It wasn't working for me because the non-selected expression output was sending 100% and I wanted it to send 0%. This was into my RJM MMGT/16. Depending on what you want to achieve and maybe the Ax8 can be programmed differently (I sold the SP-2 a while back so can't try with my Ax8) this would cut your expression pedal requirement in half.
I tried rewiring a sp1 to act as an sp-2 and it works like any volume wah pedal. I also tried inverting the off line expression port to 0% but did not like the jump in the modifier when engaging and disengaging. this would work much better in the switch was on the heel.

Back
Top Bottom