Can we name the 50 User Cab presets?

keano

One of the things that annoyed me about the user cabs we could add on the axe-fx was I couldn't name them so I didn't know what they were. I was guessing at what I saved has this been changed on the Axe-Fx II?

So it sounds like you can't customize the name to something you want. It's whatever is found in the the sysex file. So while it's better than "user cab 1", you can't customize the name? To say "Blonde Chick Nice Pussy"?

You would have to change the name stored in the sysex file, not the name of the file itself. If it is similar to existing FAS midi formats it'll be stored in LSB/MSB Nibble (AKA Peavey) format.

There have been some confusing posts on this topic:

The names of user cabs are shown as you select the cab, just like factory cabs.
The name is that of the sysex file.
Once you load them, you can't change rename them.

Which appears to contradict my answer until your read:

…My converter uses the file name of the wave file as the IR name.

In any case, Yek has it all covered in the wiki.

Last edited:
Most likely the name appears in plain text within the .syx file. So I'm sure Axe-edit will give a way to do it, but you could probably just open the file in Notepad and rename it that way.

I'm more curious if Ownhammer and Redwirez will pre-include names within the .syx files for their entire libraries. Sounds like a lot of work!

Most likely the name appears in plain text within the .syx file.
MIDI reserves the most significant bit (i.e. values from 128 to 255) for channel messages and system messages, so data must be confined to values of 0 to 127 (x00 to x7F). The basic ASCII character set uses only 0 to 127, so it wouldn't require encoding. However, to use any characters from the extended set you do have to encode the text data, and this is likely why it has been done in all G1 sysex formats.

That means, for example, that the character "F", which is x46, will be encoded into x06 x04. Hopefully Axe-Edit will provide a way to edit these encoded strings just like it does the encoded strings for preset names.

Most likely the name appears in plain text within the .syx file. So I'm sure Axe-edit will give a way to do it, but you could probably just open the file in Notepad and rename it that way.

I'm more curious if Ownhammer and Redwirez will pre-include names within the .syx files for their entire libraries. Sounds like a lot of work!

Not plain text but easy enough to see with a hex editor I would guess (I haven't looked). It is in the syx file. Whatever converter is used to make the cab files will probably have the ability to rename it.

Sounds like a lot of tech talk. So for a simple musician... does this mean you can in a simple way or must wait for software update?

Back
Top Bottom