Wish Can we have a couple more VolPan instances per preset?

Four isn't cutting it? What are you needing to do that the other options won't cover?

Four isn't cutting it? What are you needing to do that the other options won't cover?
Things that need more than 4 VolPans. :)

Since my presets are currently in two rows, I am currently working around it by using the volume/level adjustments in the Feedback Return block to save a VolPan, but there are some presets where I've maxed them out even doing this....

Things that need more than 4 VolPans. :)

Since my presets are currently in two rows, I am currently working around it by using the volume/level adjustments in the Feedback Return block to save a VolPan, but there are some presets where I've maxed them out even doing this....
Filter blocks, set to Null are very low CPU. There are four of those too. But I'm sure that you know that already. If you are needing the ability to select the Right or Left input, the Mux block has that ability too. As well as the Drive and Amp blocks.

can you show an example where 4 isn't enough? just curious, and more information provided in wishes tends to lead to them being implemented.
Will dig around and find a couple examples. Was out amongst the Walmartians on a consumerist jaunt....

The problem is that I am switching outputs, not inputs, and doing it continuously, for smoother transitions.

Josie P4RIBS.syx is one. I recently tried and liked seamless amp switching via preceding VolPan blocks (instead of a mixer after), per Cooper Carter's video a couple weeks back on a thread here somewhere. Switching via the two VolPan blocks seems to give a more natural transition from clean to dirty amp sounds. Using the mixer afterwards leaves a bit of 'zizzy' on top of the clean in the transition, as the dirty amp's 'zizziness' seems to be what shows up first in the blend, as there's not really much corresponding harmonic content happening in a clean amp to mask it. This preset coaxes 4 separate 'zones' out of a single CC pedal - "Rhythm", "Intro", "Bridge", and "Solo" (that's what the P4:R/I/B/S bit is on the end of the title - P4 does R/I/B/S).

Switching over to that required me to move the volume pedal and lead boost over to the Return block.

The Filter block won't go to zero - it does a "California stop", i.e., it only goes to -80dB. ;) I tried using the balance knob and setting the two amps' inputs to Left and Right respectively, but due to the difference in the gain levels between dirty and clean amps, was not able to get it to pan smoothly between them, and there's a portion of the crossfade where the two get louder, at the middle of the balance knob's range.

Another possibility is the addition of DeMux and DeMix blocks (there is a wish out there for those, too, IIRC), which would be able to do this signal routing easily....

I tried using the balance knob and setting the two amps' inputs to Left and Right respectively, but due to the difference in the gain levels between dirty and clean amps, was not able to get it to pan smoothly between them, and there's a portion of the crossfade where the two get louder, at the middle of the balance knob's range.
Some years back, @clarky had some wonderful threads in which he dealt with morphing at great lengths, overcoming the very problems you're encountering.

Some years back, @clarky had some wonderful threads in which he dealt with morphing at great lengths, overcoming the very problems you're encountering.
I find that using a Linear pot on the clean amp and a 30A or 20A pot on the dirty amp when using the dual VolPan method seems to make for the most seamless transfers from clean to dirty. Basically, start with the 30A, and if it swells during the crossfade, go to a lower number. Most of my stuff is adequately handled by 30A and 20A, but a really balls-to-the-wall gain-banger of a lead amp might need one of the lower ones. Will have to search for Clarky's threads and see what he came up with. Thanks!

I could find uses for a couple more Vol/Pan blocks. But other blocks have gotten me what I needed, though probably not as elegant.

You could use the 'Filter' block, and could likely mimic the different Vol/Pan curves in the Edit Modifier Window. And also tie the same controller to the 'Gain' and/or 'Frequency' parameter to alter the E.Q. a bit to make the transition smoother?

Doesn't the '-80 dB' setting effectively mute the signal?

You could use the 'Filter' block, and could likely mimic the different Vol/Pan curves in the Edit Modifier Window. And also tie the same controller to the 'Gain' and/or 'Frequency' parameter to alter the E.Q. a bit to make the transition smoother?

These are neat ideas for combining a clean --> dirty transition and integrating a frowny-face EQ in front of a juiced-up Marshall of some stripe, but for just panning between two amps that are already, on their own, sounding good, I'm not sure it would be a lot of help.

Doesn't the '-80 dB' setting effectively mute the signal?

Not on a high-gain amp input.... -80dB is the signal flow equivalent of the 'California Stop', which cops will frequently respond to with a narrative that goes like this: "I'm beating you with my nightstick. Do you want me to stop or just slow down?" ;)

Panning between two different clean amps? Sure, but the mixer afterwards works adequately for clean A --> clean B transitions.
It's the clean --> dirt transition where the mixer doesn't sound quite as natural as the dual VolPan method. Try it, and listen for the 'zizzies' to fade in on top of the clean in the transition. You can't un-hear it.... :eek:

Honestly, it wouldn't be crazy to have two more added -- then you have a VOL block per row which lets you do what a mixer block does, but in a one-to-many configuration. Similar to my inverted MUX block request but with continuous control over each of the output levels.

The only way to control four external pedals using the in/out 3/4 loop is by leveraging Vol/Pan. If anyone can come up with a better way that's less CPU intensive I'd love to leverage that approach.

As you can see below I've used up all 4 Vol/Pan blocks just to be able to turn these external pedals on/off. I could definitely use 4 more since they're so versatile. I understand the concern of overloading the CPU by adding more blocks so I wish there was an "expert mode" (for lack of a better term) that would allow us to use more blocks than originally allocated with the understanding that "expert users" will be extra careful and understanding that you can't put 10 Reverb blocks in the signal chain.

Heavy-Synth9-Scene3.jpg

Do you ever need to use both outboard effects connected to 'Input 3' or 'Input 4' at a time?

If not, a single Vol/Pan block could use channels to select which side of it's input is being used. Also check out the 'Multi-Plexer' block, it also has the ability to select which row, and which side to use. It can't be bypassed, but you can use an unused row on one of the channels as a mute. Or just bypass the Input block(s)

I would be nice if the 'Filter', 'GEQ', and 'PEQ' blocks had the ability to select which side of their inputs to use.

Do you ever need to use both outboard effects connected to 'Input 3' or 'Input 4' at a time?

If not, a single Vol/Pan block could use channels to select which side of it's input is being used. Also check out the 'Multi-Plexer' block, it also has the ability to select which row, and which side to use. It can't be bypassed, but you can use an unused row on one of the channels as a mute. Or just bypass the Input block(s)

I would be nice if the 'Filter', 'GEQ', and 'PEQ' blocks had the ability to select which side of their inputs to use.

Yes, I need to be able to turn them on/off individually as each preset may use different combinations of effects. I've never explored the MP block as an option so you've piqued my interest so I'll explore that a bit. It would be nice to have the ability to select the L/R input for those EQ type blocks but I would think the VolPan block has the lowest CPU utilization. A simple input selector block would be even lower. There used to be a spreadsheet somewhere where the CPU utilization was listed but I can't find it now.

I actually have two more specialized pedals I'd like to add to this setup but I'm out of controllable in/out channels. I looked into buying a MIDI controlled loop switcher that was able to select 6+ pedals individually with the ability to only send the processed signal back into the signal chain and the switching occurs on the audio return but I couldn't find one that did all that. Maybe someone makes one now so I'll look into that too.

BTW, I love your bass simulation presets :)

Last edited:

Yes, these would be good additions, too, along with the couple extra VolPan blocks and De-Mux and De-Mix blocks.

Not everyone strings things in series in a line like stomp boxes....

Back
Top Bottom