Can we discuss High Gain Amp designs Marshall Vs Mesa designs etc?

stm113

Power User
I love to discuss guitar gear all day long. Unfortunately, most of the musicians in my circle are more just plug and play guys so they don't really dive into gear all that much. For this reason I love reading the Axe Fx wiki and learning about the amps in the AF2 (then trying them out). Something I see a lot when referring to the design of the amp that's been modeled, is "This is an amp that is based on a Vox, or Fender, or Marshall amp design" like in the case of Matchless or Friedmans etc...
Something I don't see a lot of (if at all) is "This amp is based on a Mesa/Boogie design". The Mesa Dual Rec unquestionably dominated the Hard Rock/Metal/Nu-Metal guitar sound from the late 90's up until about 2010 or so but when I read about some of the coveted High Gain monsters today i.e. Bogner's or the Diezel VH-4, or Engl etc they all seem to be based on Marshall topology. I guess my question is what amps out there are derived from Mesa/Boogie designs like the Dual Rec or Mark IIC+, III or IV? Not just in the Axe Fx but in general?

Something I found to be interesting is when I read that its thought t the Dual Rec design was based on the SLO 100. Most guitarists (that I know) would more closely Identify the SLO with Marshall based or "hair" tones before a Dual Rec Nu-Metal tone.

Slo100 use a cold-biased stage. Dual recto use cold-biased stage, but different filters, tubes, give different tone.
Mark series are known to be "hot roddeded fender style" amps, no cold biased stage. Marshall is a hot rodded fender style amp with some additional gain stage and different values of the component. Have a look at:

http://www.tubemodules.com/GUITAR_AMP_EVOLUTION.html

Slo100 use a cold-biased stage. Dual recto use cold-biased stage, but different filters, tubes, give different tone.
Mark series are known to be "hot roddeded fender style" amps, no cold biased stage. Marshall is a hot rodded fender style amp with some additional gain stage and different values of the component. Have a look at:

http://www.tubemodules.com/GUITAR_AMP_EVOLUTION.html

Exactly... at the end of the line they're all Fenders :lol

Back
Top Bottom