Can USB Audio Interface be Active At the Same Time as Another Interface?

Search4Tone

Inspired
My audio interface (MOTU 2408 MKIII) can use SPDIF as a clock source. In theory the MOTU could sync with the AXE using the clock from the SPDIF out of the AXE and allow the AXE to be the main clock. However, my DAW will not allow both interfaces to be active at the same time. I've done this before with other interfaces using word clock sync, but have never tried using SPDIF.

In any case, since I can't enable both at the same time I can't even try it.

Does the driver for the USB audio interface on the AXE allow using other interfaces at the same time, or is it the MOTU driver or my DAW software (Sonar) that's preventing this?

If anybody can answer that it would be much appreciated. I don't want to waste time trying if I know it's not going to work. I DON'T want to try to use the MOTU as the master clock and the SPDIF connectors on the AXE to go in and out of the MOTU because the latency of the AXE would be compromised. I'd rather just not use the MOTU in that case.

Thanks.

You can use an aggregate device on a Mac or ASIO4ALL on the PC

ASIO drivers preventing this on Windows. It only allow one interface at a time.
Windows has driver models like WASAPI (Vista and above) and WDM that allow for this but Fractal does not support those.

Most people using ASIO4ALL are getting unacceptable latency.

I created an aggregate on my iMac using my Apogee Duet & Axe-II. Works great, and I can re-amp and hear the whole song at the same time with no problems. Thanks again goes to Clarky for helping me set this up!

I'm using ASIO4All to do this on my system. I haven't had to deal with master or slave clocks at all so far. I do get about 20ms of latency when re-amping, but to be perfectly frank there is a lot going on with that process; file read from disk, goes through application, goes through USB, to the AxeFXII, back to USB, through the application and then to disk again. This isn't an AxeFXII issue and track delay compensation makes it a non-issue for me.

When I'm recording regularly I believe that I'm around 3ms of latency and haven't had any pops or dropout yet, but I haven't worked on any 20 track projects either.

I'm not even going to address the SPDIF clock thing. I'll just say that if you don't have time to waste then don't.

You can use an aggregate device on a Mac or ASIO4ALL on the PC

ASIO drivers preventing this on Windows. It only allow one interface at a time.
Windows has driver models like WASAPI (Vista and above) and WDM that allow for this but Fractal does not support those.

Most people using ASIO4ALL are getting unacceptable latency.

That's what I needed to know. I kind of figured that would be the case. I don't want to deal with the latency issues. I'm getting under 2ms with the AXE and that's pretty awesome. I can get pretty low with my MOTU, but that occasional click when a sample goes bad isn't worth it.

Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom