• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Can U Do the 4 Cable Method AND Send an Output to Mixer?

Josh O

Member
I saw a post where you could do a modified 4 cable method where Output 1 ended up going to FOH. What I'd like to be able to do is connect in the standard 4 cable method which I do now plus be able to send an output to a mixer for direct record. It probably sounds stupid but I'd like to be able to have it all connected so I don't have to keep pulling my case out, disconnecting and reconnecting cables etc. I'm not sure if this is even possible since the 4 cable method utilizes both Output 1 and Output 2, granted in mono. Maybe I could use the S/PDIF output to the mixer?
 

Josh O

Member
anyone? all I can ascertain from the owners manual is that the digital out provides a digital version of Output 1, it doesn't say anything about defeating Output 1. Does this mean that I theoretically could have both the analog output 1 and digital output connected at the same time? This would save me from having to disconnect/reconnect when switching from 4 cable method with amp to a direct record situation.
 

mik

Inspired
It could be easily done as long as you use mono. You will have to use Volume block or Mixer block or whatever to pan things left and right. And you would hook up main output Right to the amp and main output Left to the mixer or smth like that. Of course it will require quite a complicated routing inside the preset as well.

Digital out will work out even better since this will be your separate out to mixer and with appropriate recording patch you will get full stereo stuff.

good luck,

Mik.
 

Josh O

Member
Thanks mik. I think I may actually just have to bite the bullet and try it, I'm thinking as long as plugging into SPDIF out doesn't automatically disable Output 1 (as plugging into the digital in disables Input 1 and the FX loop I believe) I might be able to accomplish what I'm looking to do.
 

mik

Inspired
Josh O said:
Thanks mik. I think I may actually just have to bite the bullet and try it, I'm thinking as long as plugging into SPDIF out doesn't automatically disable Output 1 (as plugging into the digital in disables Input 1 and the FX loop I believe) I might be able to accomplish what I'm looking to do.

Just plugging in RCA spdif cable doesn't automatically disable anything actually, digital out just provides you with a digital copy of the OUT 1... Also if you just hook up a cable to digital in it wouldn't disable anything (correct me if I am wrong) .. It' only when you choose a "digital in" as your input source in the I/O menu then it disables it.

good luck,

Mik.
 

Josh O

Member
Actually, the more I look at the diagram for the four cable method, I think if I want to make this work, it's actually Output 2 I need to work with since Output 1 and Input 2 are acting as the FX loop for the Axe, bringing my amp into it so I guess the Digital out jack won't help me at all. I think I would have to configure Output 2 as L->R in the I/O menu so that the same data is put over both the left and right jacks. This very well could be me trouble than it's worth as opposed to disconnecting and reconnecting.
 

stef herbuel

Inspired
Josh O said:
I saw a post where you could do a modified 4 cable method where Output 1 ended up going to FOH. What I'd like to be able to do is connect in the standard 4 cable method which I do now plus be able to send an output to a mixer for direct record. It probably sounds stupid but I'd like to be able to have it all connected so I don't have to keep pulling my case out, disconnecting and reconnecting cables etc. I'm not sure if this is even possible since the 4 cable method utilizes both Output 1 and Output 2, granted in mono. Maybe I could use the S/PDIF output to the mixer?

tell me what gear you want to use exactly (the exact routing you would like to have) and exactly what you want to send to your amp and to PA
 

Josh O

Member
stef herbuel said:
tell me what gear you want to use exactly (the exact routing you would like to have) and exactly what you want to send to your amp and to PA

Ideally I'd like to be able to maintain the 4 cable method connections I currently have with my Bogner Duende and also be able to connect to a mixer/or PC at the same time for direct record. It's not that I want to be able to use the 4 cable method and direct out capability at the same time, I would use one or the other, I'd just like to be able to have all the connections made up so that I don't keep plugging and unplugging cables from the back.
 

stef herbuel

Inspired
Josh O said:
[quote="stef herbuel":8q7gze68]

tell me what gear you want to use exactly (the exact routing you would like to have) and exactly what you want to send to your amp and to PA

Ideally I'd like to be able to maintain the 4 cable method connections I currently have with my Bogner Duende and also be able to connect to a mixer/or PC at the same time for direct record. It's not that I want to be able to use the 4 cable method and direct out capability at the same time, I would use one or the other, I'd just like to be able to have all the connections made up so that I don't keep plugging and unplugging cables from the back.[/quote:8q7gze68]

you run mono in your bogner and want to go stereo in the PA ? what do you want to add to what goes in the PA , only cab sim ?
 

Josh O

Member
stef herbuel said:
you run mono in your bogner and want to go stereo in the PA ? what do you want to add to what goes in the PA , only cab sim ?

Yes, mono with my Bogner, stereo when going PA or direct. When I go PA/direct record, I'd have cab sims added, the FX loop block shunted out and use an amp sim. When I run 4 cable with the Bogner, I hardly ever use an amp sim, the Axe is used for preamp and post amp effects.
 
Top Bottom