Can the MFC do this?

grandinq

Power User
I've been pondering an MFC. I currently use my old POD HD as a midi controller for my Axe FX. It's set up to allow me access 4 presets along one row and 4 scenes along the next. While that's fine, it is getting annoying plugging in a midi cable from POD to Axe, power supply for POD, and plugging by EV-1 into the back of the Axe (I'd rather have it plugged into the POD, but when I've tried that I get a weird thing where it doesfn't respond well).

So what I'm looking to do is the following:

buttons1-5 of MFC, Scenes 1-4 and Tap tempo. I use scenes the most and want those the handiest near my foot. I also use Tap for some songs and I don't want to dangle my foot all the way to the last button on the MFC.

2nd row of buttons 6-10: presets5-6 and then presets

3rd row of buttons: presets

4th row (last two buttons): blank and Tuner.

I don't really want to set up the IA for things like Delay, Reverb etc. That's what I have scenes for.

Can it do this configuration?

I'll confess to not fully following your description, but the broad stokes of what you're describing ("can switches 1-4 be scenes only, can I move tap tempo, can I move preset switches, and can I set a switch to 'None'?") are all possible on a Mark III MFC, yes.

Previous models of MFC didn't allow moving the preset buttons off 1-5 (though some users have worked around that by opening up the MFC Mark I or II and physically moving the foot switches around), but all numbered switches are re-mappable on the MFC Mark III.

With a MkIII, yes... I think. I'm not quite following your 2nd row requirements, though.

I have button 1 and button 6 as IAs (tap/tuner and Chorus X/Y).

Buttons 2-5 and 7-10 are scenes

Buttons 11-15 are presets.

Buttons 16 and 17 are IAs for drive 1 and drive 2.

The important MFC options are:

Starting Preset Switch (11 for mine)
Bank Size (5 for mine)

Previous models of MFC didn't allow moving the preset buttons off 1-5 (though some users have worked around that by opening up the MFC Mark I or II and physically moving the foot switches around), but all numbered switches are re-mappable on the MFC Mark III.

That's good to know -- thanks. I've been looking at various used ones for sale, and many are Mark I and II. I thought the only difference was the method of connection to the Axe. I kind of wanted the Mark III anyway for the Faslink, but this is huge for me. Like I said, I really want the first buttons to be for scenes, not presets.

With a MkIII, yes... I think. I'm not quite following your 2nd row requirements, though.

I have button 1 and button 6 as IAs (tap/tuner and Chorus X/Y).

Buttons 2-5 and 7-10 are scenes

Buttons 11-15 are presets.

Buttons 16 and 17 are IAs for drive 1 and drive 2.

The important MFC options are:

Starting Preset Switch (11 for mine)
Bank Size (5 for mine)

Yeah, sorry. Something happened in typing that got messed up. What you've described is similar to what I wanted, so that helps. Thanks!

I have switches 1-5 as presets and then I hit reveal and they switch to scenes 1-5. Then switches 6-17 as IAs best of all worlds. Presets switching is easy, scenes switching is easy, IAs are easy. Win win across the board.

I have switches 1-5 as presets and then I hit reveal and they switch to scenes 1-5. Then switches 6-17 as IAs best of all worlds. Presets switching is easy, scenes switching is easy, IAs are easy. Win win across the board.
Dealing with reveal mode during live playing can be a challenge, and it's easy to forget or mix up what mode you are in...but good points!

Dealing with reveal mode during live playing can be a challenge, and it's easy to forget or mix up what mode you are in...but good points!
The reveal switch blinks when it is in reveal mode and is solid when in preset mode, literally impossible to confuse. What I do is set up a preset per song and scenes during the song. That way I switch presets only between songs and then hit reveal and I stay in reveal mode the entire song.

The reveal switch blinks when it is in reveal mode and is solid when in preset mode, literally impossible to confuse. What I do is set up a preset per song and scenes during the song. That way I switch presets only between songs and then hit reveal and I stay in reveal mode the entire song.
No, it isn't impossible to confuse... That's why many people don't use it.

The MFC has about 20 LEDs... Looking for a specific one can be a challenge.

As I said, you have good points... But don't assume that your workflow will work for someone else. And in this case, the OP is asking for a pretty specific layout.

No, it isn't impossible to confuse... That's why many people don't use it.

The MFC has about 20 LEDs... Looking for a specific one can be a challenge.

As I said, you have good points... But don't assume that your workflow will work for someone else. And in this case, the OP is asking for a pretty specific layout.
I don't remember exactly how I configured it to work this way (I'd have to go back and figure out how I did it), but my MFC stays in Reveal mode once I put it there as I'm changing Presets, so I know it will work that way. Like most users, I thought that would be a real pain to have to hit Reveal after every Preset change, since I use Scenes on most Presets. So now I don't. But like you say, I can't assume my workflow will work for everyone. It's likely the Bank style & size have something to do with the way mine is working, and that may not match up well with someone else's workflow.

I don't remember exactly how I configured it to work this way (I'd have to go back and figure out how I did it), but my MFC stays in Reveal mode once I put it there as I'm changing Presets, so I know it will work that way. Like most users, I thought that would be a real pain to have to hit Reveal after every Preset change, since I use Scenes on most Presets. So now I don't. But like you say, I can't assume my workflow will work for everyone. It's likely the Bank style & size have something to do with the way mine is working, and that may not match up well with someone else's workflow.
Do you change presets with the bank up/down switches? If so, it's probably the settings you mentioned.

Do you change presets with the bank up/down switches? If so, it's probably the settings you mentioned.
I'm using Bank Size=1 , and I think Bank Style=FIRST. That means the UP/DOWN buttons scroll through my Presets one at a time (in Performance Mode =PRESET), and once I press REVEAL, it stays on from Preset to Preset. BUT - Presets one at a time may not be practical for users with a lot of Presets, but currently I only have about 10.

I'm using Bank Size=1 , and I think Bank Style=FIRST. That means the UP/DOWN buttons scroll through my Presets one at a time (in Performance Mode =PRESET), and once I press REVEAL, it stays on from Preset to Preset. BUT - Presets one at a time may not be practical for users with a lot of Presets, but currently I only have about 10.
Right... And you have to "scroll" through presets.

But if it works for your needs then that's all you need :)

Back
Top Bottom