Can the Meloaudio Midi Commander do this?

juka

Looking for a small midi foot switch for my AxeFX III and all I will never need is this layout:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-11 um 15.12.54.png

Most of you might recognize this as standard layout No. 2 of the FC12 (minus the tap and tune switch), but as I won't need all the other features of the FC12 it might be a little bit over the top for my simple needs.
I know there are several newer firmware versions for the MIDI Commander supporting AxeFX III scene modes, but I have found no info so far that these actually offer exactly the switching pattern picture above.

Would be very grateful if one of you Midi Commander experts could chime in.

I do not have it but closely read all available documentation about it for the same reasons as a kind of backup controller for axe fx II. AFAIK yes for the scene buttons, but no for preset up/down function

Hmm, really seems to be difficult to get reliable info on that.
According to their webpage there is at least one firmware version (called "newest scene mode") that seems to offer Scene 1-7, Tap tempo and preset up/down.
That's already close, but I use Scene 8 way more often than tap tempo :-(

Ah yes indeed. Guess it's the best this thing can do and regarding the price it's even quite good. But a controller should at least have two pages, one for scene controls and another for tune, tap and looper controls.
I'd rather put a bit more money and get a Voes controler that offer more buck for the money.

Ah yes indeed. Guess it's the best this thing can do and regarding the price it's even quite good. But a controller should at least have two pages, one for scene controls and another for tune, tap and looper controls.
I'd rather put a bit more money and get a Voes controler that offer more buck for the money.
Yeah, you're probably right, especially with another problem I identified with those "cheaper" controllers: They need Win10 and don not support Mac.
Does seems to work with Mac, just need to find out if I'd need an MX9 or MX12 for my needs described above...

I use the the Midi Commander (relabeld Harley-Benton Version but same firmware) with the Scene Firmware for my FM3 and it works like picture above.
Only difference is that Scene rows are swapped.
So upper row 1-4
lower row 5-8 what is more logical to me.
I've changed button 8 (Scene 8) with CC for Tap/Tempo, thats all.

Last edited:
I use the the Midi Commander (relabeld Harley-Benton Version but same firmware) with the Scene Firmware for my FM3 and it works like picture above.
So upper row 1-4
lower row 5-8 what is more locical to me.
That's interesting! Which firmware did you use?
"Scene mode for AxeFX3" or "Newest scene mode"?

I think it was Scene mode for AxeFX3 - and manually changed button D to Tap/Tempo, but may the Newest Scene mode is also interesting and will work for you.

Last edited:
As far as I know you can- ther is a custom mode where you can assign any CC to any button.
As I wrote, I use scene firmware and set manually CC for Tap Tempo to my desired button, so it works.
But assiging buttons work not like the FM3 buttons working (Hold and so on).

yes, you can do that layout with the midi commander. i have the fcb1010 doing the same thing, which was affectionately known to me as the F%^&ing Computer Board of Ones and Zeroes," until i finally figured it and midi language (PC's, CC's, etc.) out completely. my 20+ plus years as a professional programmer helped a great deal. i'd start by reading up everything about midi in both the axefx manual and the midi commander manual. and then just start trying different things. worst case scenario, factory resets for both pieces of hardware if you hose up the cfgs. mine was all trial and error like that.
and, yes, raccoon is on track with assigning CC's and and stuff. the hold functions like the fm3 switches depend on whether the midi commander switches are latching type of momentary type. you can get creative with assigning actions to the switches along with pc mapping in the midi/remote setup on the axefx. or, maybe consider 4 buttons, 2 increase/decrease preset#s, 2 increase/decrease scene#s. or more than 1 bank if the midi commander supports banks.
bottom line - however you would like it to work it can be told to do that. and, usually in more than 1 way. it's all about sending sysex files to the device, telling it what to do.
good luck!
i'd help, technically, but i cost too much. :)
also, dont' get stuck in mimicking a "fractal foot controller layout" only mindset. the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
As far as I know you can- ther is a custom mode where you can assign any CC to any button.
As I wrote, I use scene firmware and set manually CC for Tap Tempo to my desired button, so it works.
But assiging buttons work not like the FM3 buttons working (Hold and so on).

yes, you can do that layout with the midi commander. i have the fcb1010 doing the same thing, which was affectionately known to me as the F%^&ing Computer Board of Ones and Zeroes," until i finally figured it and midi language (PC's, CC's, etc.) out completely. my 20+ plus years as a professional programmer helped a great deal. i'd start by reading up everything about midi in both the axefx manual and the midi commander manual. and then just start trying different things. worst case scenario, factory resets for both pieces of hardware if you hose up the cfgs. mine was all trial and error like that.
and, yes, raccoon is on track with assigning CC's and and stuff. the hold functions like the fm3 switches depend on whether the midi commander switches are latching type of momentary type. you can get creative with assigning actions to the switches along with pc mapping in the midi/remote setup on the axefx. or, maybe consider 4 buttons, 2 increase/decrease preset#s, 2 increase/decrease scene#s. or more than 1 bank if the midi commander supports banks.
bottom line - however you would like it to work it can be told to do that. and, usually in more than 1 way. it's all about sending sysex files to the device, telling it what to do.
good luck!
i'd help, technically, but i cost too much. :)
also, dont' get stuck in mimicking a "fractal foot controller layout" only mindset. the possibilities are endless.
This is great, thank you! I’m competent in programming but misread that there are inherent limitations to the MIDI capabilities of the unit. I’m not worried about mimicking the FC units, but wanted to ensure I can program any switch to whatever CC or PC I want.

I’m going to keep an eye out for a cheap FC-6 but will likely get the Melo based on this news. My needs aren’t much.

Hey there,

-> For AFIII

PRESET UP/DOWN
Options are available for using midi for preset up / preset down. Just add a CC number in the midi menu and assign it to the button.

SCENES:
For scenes you could assign lets say CC#34 and the add this to the button with value. 0 = scene1, 1 = scene2 etc.

Page 45 of the AFIII manual will get you there

Also see this post for some reference:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nes-with-midi-controllers.173287/post-2096883

Cheers

Last edited:
there's a lot of misleading stuff here.
a. when you use their ready-to-flash presets you can't edit those. you're stuck with how they're setup
b. the axe fx 3 scene mode is scenes in switches 1-4 and presets in switches a-d
c. the newest scene mode is scenes 1-7 in switches 1,2,3,4,a,b,c and tap tempo in switch d. you dont get all scenes and just change a button for tap tempo (at least in this preset) as raccoon told and afaik you dont get all scenes in any other preset they have available on their site
d. you can assign any cc you like in the custom presets BUT you can't assign cc values which are the way axe fx 3 changes scenes (values 0-7)

hope somebody makes an editor for this thing cause otherwise it's good hardware that's wasted on mediocre software and narrow minded and semi abandoned development by the company (especially now that HB bought them off and sells them too)

there was a guy on youtube (harvie256) who started developing an editor where you could do anything. he posted a github link but hasn't put up anything other than a sample excel file for months...

sorry if i resurrect a dead thread but i only recently got my hands on one of these units

Hello All,
I just got a used midi commander off a buddy of mine, but cant seem to find the website nor an updated firmware. The axefx mode currently just changes the presets.
Can someone help a noob here?
Cheers

Hello All,
I just got a used midi commander off a buddy of mine, but cant seem to find the website nor an updated firmware. The axefx mode currently just changes the presets.
Can someone help a noob here?
Cheers
Can't find their website anymore effectively, sounds like the site is down, on Harley Benton's site they do not propose any downloads as far as I can see.
Maybe some of the other users on the forum or that posted in this thread can PM you the FW and updating FW. Or if you're good in IT you can have a look here :
https://github.com/harvie256/midi-commander-custom

Regrettable, even if I think it is a piece of shit (some users complained about the unit getting fastly out of order), I still think it's a better solution than using the monstruously big and old but so damn practical FCB1010.

So upper row 1-4
lower row 5-8 what is more logical to me.
How did you configure both units? All I need to do is cycle through presets using the up & down buttons on the left of the Commando and select scenes using the two rows of buttons.

My thanks in advance.

How did you configure both units? All I need to do is cycle through presets using the up & down buttons on the left of the Commando and select scenes using the two rows of buttons.

My thanks in advance.
There is a "Scene" firmware for Fractal devices on meloaudio site.
This will do what you want.
I've only rearanged my scene order of the FM3 that upper row starts with 1.

Back
Top Bottom