Can the looper be triggered by a simple footswitch?

Rick C

Can a simple on/off foot switch be used as a trigger for starting/stopping the looper? I have a pair of old Roland DP2 switches (non-latching) I have used with drum machines and keyboards. I thought i'd better ask before trying.

Yes, but you might want to describe in more detail how much you want one switch to accomplish. A play switch can start & stop a loop but you'd need a separate record switch to record.

I guess I need to better understand how the AxeFX looper works. The AxeFX II XL+ manual states it has a "full-featured 60 looper" and that's it. I have two switches so I would like to know how I use these switches to start/stop and record. I've seen that the simple stomp box loopers often have just one foot switch. Has anyone every written a concise description of the AxeFX looper, how to set-it up and how to use it?

You might want to start by connecting them to the Axe pedal ports and setting (at I/O: CTRL menu) looper record & play to Pedal 1 & Pedal 2. Remember to choose the correct pedal type (latching vs. momentary) at the I/O: Pedal menu as well.

One slight annoyance can be needing to press a switch twice at times. For example, if your play switch is off and you start & end recording with the record switch, you'd have to press play twice to stop the loop. The first press will be a redundant "on" command while the loop is already playing, assuming you have the looper set to play immediately once recording ends. There's no way to avoid this other than using a controller programmed to work more in sync with the looper logic, like the MFC in looper mode.

Many thanks Bakerman; I've been all over the Fractal Wiki site since your last post and seen some hints but no definitive description of using the Axe FX looper without the MFC-101. I'm going to try this out tonight (if I can find my old footswitches) and will report back. I 'm pretty sure that they are only momentary switches; I saw a reference that stated some controls need momentary and others need latching but it did not go into any more detail. I'd be happy just to be able to switch on/off and over dub.

I also checked the MFC-101 looper videos and it's apparent that it is also necessary to press the same switch twice for some of its functions too.

+1
I too have scoured the sites and various forums about this subject
I would like to see an exact demo video on how to access the looper functions (or limited functions) when using the Axe FX without the MFC.. In a live situation (I.e. not sat in front of the axe control panel or PC with axe edit, just to toggle the record and playback functions, that is obviously not practical)

To access all the looper functions, you would need 7 instant access switches assigned to different functions (see page 183 of the manual for the cc assignments for each). You could probably get away with fewer if you could live with say, record, play and bypass. The Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm allows you to access all looper functions and tap tampo in the Special Mode.

How about the simple controls..?
Record.
Stop.
Playback.
Playback Stop.

I have two expression pedals hooked up to the Axe FX 2 XL. (Ext 1 & Ext 2)

Does anyone have a preset or looper block which will work with the above set up, to share with us?
Or is it still not that simple?

I cant understand why the looper block does bot have a modifier control on the record button... Only the playback button.

I use only two switches. (Boss FS-6)
Record and Play.
Play is a "stop" when you hit it a second time.
I can build multiple loops with these.

For what it is worth (I realize this thread might be swerving off the OP)
I followed the best instructions I can find on the web for figuring this out (and it ties in exactly with what Bakerman says above) ref the I/O control menu.
For me, I am using Ext 1 & Ext 2 Both with EV-1 Fractal expression pedals (because I don't have an MFC) I can get it to:-
Start record
Stop record
Playback
Stop playback

But.......And there is a massive but... to get it, to do this, you MUST change the function of the EV-1 to Latch or Momentary.....
And this, then renders the pedals useless for all my other presets where I need the expression pedal on "Continuous"

Unless I'm missing something, the conclusion I have come to, is that the Looper block is a complete waste of time for me....Until Fractal put a modifier option on the record switch.....How hard can that be?
I might start a "Wish" thread off for a firmware future fix.....

What happens when you don't change you expression pedal type to latching or momentary?

Nothing. It wont active the record switch. Pushed fully (toe down/heel down and everything in between)
Interesting. Most of the switching parameters accept anything above 50% as "on" and anything below that as "off." Which usually makes "continuous" a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom